Bullnose Forums

Muffler Suggestions

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to note is that Walker makes Magnaflow. If you like Magnaflow, you'll like Walker, and vice versa.

Off-topic item ^ reminded me of: I actually work as a manufacturing/controls engineer for an exhaust OEM (among other things)... but all we make are Toyota exhausts (no aftermarket) :nabble_smiley_teeth:. And at that, I work in a plant/department that doesn't make exhausts (although we do make pipe and stampings that eventually are made into such). What sucks as a home mechanic is that some of these companies are often suppliers (Walker was at one time, may still be?) or competitors (Tenneco's a big one there), and I often find my part buying habits following my personal opinions when such companies are involved, not the objective quality of said part.

I have the 4.9 engine. I'd like to put a muffler on that is aggressive sounding. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm afraid (with a 6 cylinder) that it will sound like a lawn mower going down the road. If that's the case, I'll just get a regular one. Thoughts?

I installed a Banks Monster cat-back exhaust system on my 1998 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0L straight six engine and I think it sounds PERFECT.

Here is a sound clip:

https://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/bullet/monster/banks.mp3

Off-topic item ^ reminded me of: I actually work as a manufacturing/controls engineer for an exhaust OEM (among other things)... but all we make are Toyota exhausts (no aftermarket) :nabble_smiley_teeth:. And at that, I work in a plant/department that doesn't make exhausts (although we do make pipe and stampings that eventually are made into such). What sucks as a home mechanic is that some of these companies are often suppliers (Walker was at one time, may still be?) or competitors (Tenneco's a big one there), and I often find my part buying habits following my personal opinions when such companies are involved, not the objective quality of said part.

I do to an extent also. Walker and Monroe were Tenneco Automotive and a couple of others I believe. Since at one time my employer was owned by Tenneco (a) I get a check each month as part of my pension from them and (b) I do try to buy their products. I haven't needed a muffler in years, but Darth has Monroe shocks all around. They honored the lifetime warranty on my front shocks even though I had lost the receipt. Sears shocks were made by Monroe, and Sears did honor my rear shock lifetime warranty by replacing them with Monroes.

I do to an extent also. Walker and Monroe were Tenneco Automotive and a couple of others I believe. Since at one time my employer was owned by Tenneco (a) I get a check each month as part of my pension from them and (b) I do try to buy their products. I haven't needed a muffler in years, but Darth has Monroe shocks all around. They honored the lifetime warranty on my front shocks even though I had lost the receipt. Sears shocks were made by Monroe, and Sears did honor my rear shock lifetime warranty by replacing them with Monroes.

I took a video of my 460 engine running with just the Ultra Quiet Resonators. You can download the clip via this link for the next 30 days (I think):

Video Download

Alright. All sounds good. Looks like I'm going in the Magnaflow direction. Thanks for all the insight.

Maybe I could be of some help

I have a Magnaflow muffler on Big Red and it's a 300 six with a couple goodies :nabble_smiley_wink:

And here is my old setup that I had when it had a Hedman Header, flowmaster and cutouts

Thanks. That was extremely helpful!

Getting ready to pull the trigger on this purchase but have a couple more questions. What's the difference between a round and oval muffler? Going with a Magnaflow. Can anyone give me specific models that they use/like.