Bullnose Forums

AC install after 460 swap

The accumulator has the clutch cycle switch attached to it. According to the EVTM (and confirming Pete), the clutch cycle switch shuts down the compressor to keep the A/C from freezing over. Also, according to the EVTM, the clutch cycle switch energizes the A/C clutch field coil.

So what is "powering" the clutch cycle pressure switch? Is it always on when the ignition is on? Does sliding the control to "Max A/C" or "Norm A/C" power the pressure switch to energize the clutch coil. That's what the A/C troubleshooting procedures in the EVTM seem to imply.

Why did my original compressor hoses have a manifold attaching them to the compressor (is that even what that is)? Was that serving a purpose and do I need something like it for my new Sanden compressor? I saw the discussion that you're referencing, Gary, about the 460 MY changes. Frankly, I just don't understand what that means in terms of how I'm supposed to plumb and wire my replacement compressor (since that is all I am changing and my switch is attached to the accumulator).

Chad - Are you using a complete system from another year truck? Or piecing it together?

I think at a minimum you need the equivalent of these two lines, from this page on Rock Auto. The second one, which RA calls "manifold hoses", has the manifold that bolts to the FS10, and that's the part that changed from '93 to '94 with the addition of the switch.

And that switch is just in series with the low pressure switch on the accumulator, and that ties back to the control in the cab. As you said, when you slide the control to Max A/C or A/C the line is energized and if both switches are closed the clutch on the compressor comes in. IOW, the circuit goes from the clutch through the high pressure switch, if there is one, then through the low pressure switch, and on to the switch in the HVAC controls.

1993_AC_Lines.thumb.jpg.249b448610195fa860ebf322fcf3050f.jpg

Chad - Are you using a complete system from another year truck? Or piecing it together?

I think at a minimum you need the equivalent of these two lines, from this page on Rock Auto. The second one, which RA calls "manifold hoses", has the manifold that bolts to the FS10, and that's the part that changed from '93 to '94 with the addition of the switch.

And that switch is just in series with the low pressure switch on the accumulator, and that ties back to the control in the cab. As you said, when you slide the control to Max A/C or A/C the line is energized and if both switches are closed the clutch on the compressor comes in. IOW, the circuit goes from the clutch through the high pressure switch, if there is one, then through the low pressure switch, and on to the switch in the HVAC controls.

Gary - my truck was an 84 Bronco with a Windsor. It has the factory A/C. When I swapped to a 460, I kept all of my A/C setup original-style except for the hoses and the Compressor which is now this aftermarket Sanden unit:

Sanden.jpg.8ce614bbea0dd974e745b7f7838b272e.jpg

Are you saying that I will need a hose manifold from a 93 460 to make a Sanden unit work with my 84 A/C equipment? If so why and how would I connect it to a different style compressor? When I look at the 93 460 in Rockauto, they show a Sanden style compressor that lloks like mine as being part of the dealer installed A/C package, which would not fit the hose you are suggesting:

The 460 Compressors

Gary - my truck was an 84 Bronco with a Windsor. It has the factory A/C. When I swapped to a 460, I kept all of my A/C setup original-style except for the hoses and the Compressor which is now this aftermarket Sanden unit:

Are you saying that I will need a hose manifold from a 93 460 to make a Sanden unit work with my 84 A/C equipment? If so why and how would I connect it to a different style compressor? When I look at the 93 460 in Rockauto, they show a Sanden style compressor that lloks like mine as being part of the dealer installed A/C package, which would not fit the hose you are suggesting:

The 460 Compressors

No, I thought you had an FS10 for some reason. So you just need whatever connects to the Sanden. And the connections in the picture are quite different than the manifold the FS10 takes.

No, I thought you had an FS10 for some reason. So you just need whatever connects to the Sanden. And the connections in the picture are quite different than the manifold the FS10 takes.

Thanks, Gary. Answer one thing for my own edification. Is the only purpose that these A/C manifolds serve is to connect hoses to the specific style of connections used on the compressor, like the ones on the back of this 93 compressor?

other_sanden.jpg.85c1cbbe40dfbf960f183c4cdeb3e69a.jpg

The manifold serves no other purpose than that, correct? They are used as connections for pressure switches or filling ports or anything?

One more thing I was wondering about. The extra port on the side of my accumulator (back end of the attachment to the evaporator) is my low pressure service port? And I will need to have a high pressure port on the line that connects the condenser to the compressor? The only port that I can find on my original lines is on the line from the compressor to the condenser so I'm assuming that is the only additional port I need to replicate on my new lines.

Thanks, Gary. Answer one thing for my own edification. Is the only purpose that these A/C manifolds serve is to connect hoses to the specific style of connections used on the compressor, like the ones on the back of this 93 compressor?

The manifold serves no other purpose than that, correct? They are used as connections for pressure switches or filling ports or anything?

One more thing I was wondering about. The extra port on the side of my accumulator (back end of the attachment to the evaporator) is my low pressure service port? And I will need to have a high pressure port on the line that connects the condenser to the compressor? The only port that I can find on my original lines is on the line from the compressor to the condenser so I'm assuming that is the only additional port I need to replicate on my new lines.

Yes, the manifold just connects the lines to the compressor.

The port on the accumulator is the low-pressure switch. But I don't think any of the lines had a high pressure port before 1994.

The port on the accumulator is the low-pressure switch. But I don't think any of the lines had a high pressure port before 1994.

Gary, there are two service ports on the Accumulator. The one on the side is what the clutch cycle pressure switch attaches to, but there is another one on the back of the connection to the Evaporator (see the top view in the picture):

Accumulator.jpg.5fd20f5250194ee9b2121595b12619a3.jpg

Can I charge the system from that extra port? That is on the low side, correct?

Also, the hose that I removed from my truck that connected the Condenser to the Compressor definitely has a service port. The replacements on Rock Auto also show a service port:

Hose.jpg.d6f105bdd96f80c25ebe8a47935b93a7.jpg

So I need to have a service port on my new line and this will be the high side for evacuation correct? If I don't have a port there, I don't know how else I'd be able to evacuate the high side.

Gary, there are two service ports on the Accumulator. The one on the side is what the clutch cycle pressure switch attaches to, but there is another one on the back of the connection to the Evaporator (see the top view in the picture):

Can I charge the system from that extra port? That is on the low side, correct?

Also, the hose that I removed from my truck that connected the Condenser to the Compressor definitely has a service port. The replacements on Rock Auto also show a service port:

So I need to have a service port on my new line and this will be the high side for evacuation correct? If I don't have a port there, I don't know how else I'd be able to evacuate the high side.

Yes, you should have a service port on the high side so you can watch that pressure.

As for the ports on the accumulator, maybe the pics below will help. On the left is the 1985 system that came out of Big Blue, and on the right is the 1990 system that went into him.

So the fitting on the back side of the one that goes into the evaporator, the connection on the top in both pics, is the low-pressure service port. And the other fitting is where the low pressure switch goes.

BBs_1985_Accumulator__Connections.thumb.jpg.ba9c5d7d8229085f79db54fe2de5aee5.jpgBBs_1990_Accumulator__Connections.thumb.jpg.fb72187867b0279dd4d66058194aa0a8.jpg

In my lines, I'm pretty sure the "manifold" also has the high pressure relief valve incorporated into it.

Yes, that's right. The relief valve is there as well. I forgot that, and it is the thing sticking out to the left. :nabble_smiley_blush:

1990_AC_Compressor_Manifold.thumb.jpg.0304876a3e7c4b772889c33e03c6fa6e.jpg