Bullnose Forums

AC install after 460 swap

I'm finally getting around to installing my AC plumbing after the 460 swap in my 84 Bronco. I have retained all of the HVAC as it came from the factory (OEM style at least) with the exception of the compressor. I am switching over to a Sanden style compressor and moved it to the passenger side of the engine. All of the original wiring for the heater and AC is there as well.

I've never done A/C before, but I feel like I'm at least capable of duplicating the factory configuration for the plumbing and wiring. I am making my own lines. I guess #12 A/C fittings have gone out of style, so I am making an adapter to reduce the Accumulator output to #10 and then going directly into the Compressor suction side. The Compressor to Condenser line would be a #8 and so would the Condensor to Evaporator line. The orifice tube would drop inside the Evaporator inlet. I wouldn't use #6 lines anywhere.

So if I do this, and plumb and wire the system exactly as it came from the factory but with a Sanden compressor instead of the factory one, will it work?

I certainly don't see why it wouldn't work, provided the compressor you choose is sized appropriately. But why go to the bother? Unless you work at a hydraulic shop, or have a friend who does, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just get factory-style stuff. That's what I did when I assembled my AC system.

Some of the early 80's hoses can be hard to find, but I upgraded to the serpentine belt system from the 90's, and all that stuff is readily available. So if I pop a hose or a compressor or whatever in the future, it's "I need x for a 95 F150" at the auto parts store and I'm all set.

Having said that, I have a lot of stuff on my truck that is custom, so I'm as bad as anyone about this.

Just curious what you view as the advantage to all the DIY/custom stuff.

I certainly don't see why it wouldn't work, provided the compressor you choose is sized appropriately. But why go to the bother? Unless you work at a hydraulic shop, or have a friend who does, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just get factory-style stuff. That's what I did when I assembled my AC system.

Some of the early 80's hoses can be hard to find, but I upgraded to the serpentine belt system from the 90's, and all that stuff is readily available. So if I pop a hose or a compressor or whatever in the future, it's "I need x for a 95 F150" at the auto parts store and I'm all set.

Having said that, I have a lot of stuff on my truck that is custom, so I'm as bad as anyone about this.

Just curious what you view as the advantage to all the DIY/custom stuff.

Pete - I think the key is that his setup puts the compressor on the passenger's side of the engine. So that requires custom hoses.

But I agree that it should work.

Pete - I think the key is that his setup puts the compressor on the passenger's side of the engine. So that requires custom hoses.

But I agree that it should work.

I always make my lines. Gary's right; I've diverted too far from factory to go to the bin for replacements. Plus it just gives it that "custom as all get-out" look. Check out this post:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Making-your-own-lines-tp123149.html

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if switching the compressor style was a big deal. I don't really know anything about it (but I've never let that stop me before). I've been seeing the compressor manifold and cycle shut off questions and it made me think that there was a part of the conversion that I was missing.

I always make my lines. Gary's right; I've diverted too far from factory to go to the bin for replacements. Plus it just gives it that "custom as all get-out" look. Check out this post:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Making-your-own-lines-tp123149.html

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if switching the compressor style was a big deal. I don't really know anything about it (but I've never let that stop me before). I've been seeing the compressor manifold and cycle shut off questions and it made me think that there was a part of the conversion that I was missing.

Well, that does bring up a question I don't know the answer to. On my system, which as I said is mostly based on stock stuff, there is no high pressure cutoff switch that I am aware of. There is a low pressure switch on the dryer, which prevents the compressor from coming on if there is insufficient charge in the system. So unless that switch is both high and low pressure, once the system is turned on, the compressor is on as well, it never "cycles" due to high pressure built up in the system.

So if that's the case, is the compressor from a "continuous duty" system different than the compressor from a "cycle duty" system?

Well, that does bring up a question I don't know the answer to. On my system, which as I said is mostly based on stock stuff, there is no high pressure cutoff switch that I am aware of. There is a low pressure switch on the dryer, which prevents the compressor from coming on if there is insufficient charge in the system. So unless that switch is both high and low pressure, once the system is turned on, the compressor is on as well, it never "cycles" due to high pressure built up in the system.

So if that's the case, is the compressor from a "continuous duty" system different than the compressor from a "cycle duty" system?

Good question, Pete. And I think the compressors stayed the same.

In this post on the AC Clutch Cycle and Pressure thread Nickelplate showed us that the manifold changed between '93 and '94 on the 460 trucks to incorporate the switch. And indeed, Rock auto shows a 1993 F250 w/a 460 takes an FOTZ19D850F manifold while a '94 takes a F4TZ19D850F.

So that raises the question of if the compressors are different. Here are the Rock Auto listings for the 1993 compressors for a 460 F250, followed by the 1994 compressors. In the '93 listing there are 8 compressors, and in the '94 listing there are 7 compressors. Of those, 6 of the 7 match, and that includes the Motorcraft compressor. So I'd say the compressors are the same.

1993_AC_Compressors.thumb.jpg.cbd1ff6202759531f16f8d7a68a17a1a.jpg

1994_AC_Compressors.thumb.jpg.48805963f0572d24d1ee9202fca1b2ba.jpg

In this post on the AC Clutch Cycle and Pressure thread Nickelplate showed us that the manifold changed between '93 and '94 on the 460 trucks to incorporate the switch. And indeed, Rock auto shows a 1993 F250 w/a 460 takes an FOTZ19D850F manifold while a '94 takes a F4TZ19D850F.

So that raises the question of if the compressors are different. Here are the Rock Auto listings for the 1993 compressors for a 460 F250, followed by the 1994 compressors. In the '93 listing there are 8 compressors, and in the '94 listing there are 7 compressors. Of those, 6 of the 7 match, and that includes the Motorcraft compressor. So I'd say the compressors are the same.

Wow, excellent detective work, Gary. Good to know!

The low pressure switch is the cycling switch. The only "continuous duty" systems have at a minimum an expansion valve to control the amount of liquid refrigerant admitted to the evaporator. Some systems have both an expansion valve and some type of suction pressure or temperature valve to keep the evaporator at a minimum temperature of 34° F.

I have not had a Ford product since my 1971 Colony Park until my two Flexes with an expansion valve system. Chrysler still had them as recently as my 2005 Town & Country minivan.

The accumulator has the clutch cycle switch attached to it. According to the EVTM (and confirming Pete), the clutch cycle switch shuts down the compressor to keep the A/C from freezing over. Also, according to the EVTM, the clutch cycle switch energizes the A/C clutch field coil.

So what is "powering" the clutch cycle pressure switch? Is it always on when the ignition is on? Does sliding the control to "Max A/C" or "Norm A/C" power the pressure switch to energize the clutch coil. That's what the A/C troubleshooting procedures in the EVTM seem to imply.

Why did my original compressor hoses have a manifold attaching them to the compressor (is that even what that is)? Was that serving a purpose and do I need something like it for my new Sanden compressor? I saw the discussion that you're referencing, Gary, about the 460 MY changes. Frankly, I just don't understand what that means in terms of how I'm supposed to plumb and wire my replacement compressor (since that is all I am changing and my switch is attached to the accumulator).