Bullnose Forums

Dana 50 to 60 swap gear recommendations

The 6R80 wasn't made in the 460 bolt pattern, so while there are ways to attach it they are expensive. This one from Speed Gems is $1895 and it doesn't include the required controller for the transmission, which is another $1249. So all up, not including the transmission, you are looking at $3144.

But yes, with the two overdrive gears of .87 and .69 you could easily go to lower differential ratios. But the E4OD has a .71 OD ratio, so you could go with that tranny and still use lower ratios in the diffs. And there's no $1895 adapter needed as the E4OD bolts right to the 460. And there are $800 controllers for it, so instead of $3144 you'd be looking at $800.

HOWEVER, you said you might go with EFI. If you were to go with Ford's EEC-IV or EEC-V EFI system you won't need a controller for the E4OD as the ECU controls both the EFI and the tranny.

So you need to think through the long-term plans.

Are there other EFI systems out there that have just one control unit for both the tranny and EFI that you are aware of?

Are there other EFI systems out there that have just one control unit for both the tranny and EFI that you are aware of?

The Holley Terminator X Max controls both the EFI and a 4R70W transmission. But that transmission won't bolt to a 460. There may be others, and maybe one that does the E4OD that will bolt to a 460, but I'm not aware of any.

But I think you need to map your plan out before you start or you'll have a less than optimum system when you get done. So if your rear gears are 3.55's you could consider a front axle with anything, as long as the hubs take your wheels, and have new gears put in to match your rear gearing. And while you are at it have a front locker put in.

Or go with the 3.73's but, if I understand correctly, that means the later wheels will be needed, so you need to change out the rear axle as well.

Just come up with a plan, maybe bounce it off others to see if it works, and then stick to the plan.