Bullnose Forums

Engine Cooling Thoughts And Radiator Recommendation

Rusty, again please keep me advised of your radiator choice? I like what I've read on Cold Case radiators and with my unit being the original OEM unit, it's just a matter of time before it lets go.

Will do. Im still waiting for a reply back to my email asking where the radiators are produced at. Honestly I would still buy one even if it was made over seas.

I already made a list of fittings for the transmission cooler to use the OE lines as well and the fan shroud, the trans cooler lines, and other things I would need when I put a new radiator in.

Rusty, did you ever replace your radiator and if so, what route did you go? You were doing a lot of research on the Cold-Case radiators in this thread.

I haven't done the swap yet, will do it when I pull the old damaged engine out for my new engine. I will be going Cold-Case how ever for various reasons including the life time warranty Cold-Case radiators have.

I think the Cold-Case is the best drop in OE style replacement you can get as it has all the OE dimensions and hookups but being a more efficient 100% tig welded aluminum construction with two 1 1/4" cores to make up the 3" core thickness compared to the OE that were from what I could find out just over 1/2" and had three for a 1 1/2" thick core.

I had a great radiator in Darth, it was a standard 2 row, a Modine, with a lifetime warranty. It developed a leak after some years and I had it replaced under warranty (since I had installed it myself, but was in a time crunch, I paid the labor). A few more years, and it failed again. Now I had a dilemma, Modine was out of business and the shop that I had purchased it from, owner had a massive coronary right after his 65th birthday.

As a result. I ordered one from Rock Auto. Worst part, shop owner was a friend and a fellow Marine, we used to play who could call the other first on 10 November to say "happy birthday".

Thank you, sir!

No problem, at the rate I am going I expect to have my ceramic coated headers back some time around April 11, that is when Debi informed me they are scheduled to be completed. From there I have the following to purchase till I can do my install of the new engine.

1) 3/8" stainless steel fuel tank to pump hardline

2) E5TZ-89146-J reproduction fan shroud

3) Stainless steel inverted flare adapter fittings for transmission cooler @ radiator

4) 5/16" stainless steel transmission cooler lines

5) 3/8" Earls VaporGuard hose

6) 16.5 Gal 85/86 saddle tank

7) 85/86 sending unit

8) 85/86 fuel pump connector

9) Walbro 255lph in-tank fuel pump

10) fuel tank vent valve

11) vent valve seal

12) 3G alternator

13) Cold-Case Radiator

If things goes to plan and my big projects at work keeps the big money rolling in I believe I should have all this purchased by September with a hopeful plan to do my engine swap on my two week Christmas break period so I dont have to take time off work.

I had a great radiator in Darth, it was a standard 2 row, a Modine, with a lifetime warranty. It developed a leak after some years and I had it replaced under warranty (since I had installed it myself, but was in a time crunch, I paid the labor). A few more years, and it failed again. Now I had a dilemma, Modine was out of business and the shop that I had purchased it from, owner had a massive coronary right after his 65th birthday.

As a result. I ordered one from Rock Auto. Worst part, shop owner was a friend and a fellow Marine, we used to play who could call the other first on 10 November to say "happy birthday".

That is always a risk one takes with a lifetime warranty is the business going under. A good quality radiator how ever can always be repaired at cost else where if the business does go under. That is if you are lucky enough to have a radiator repair shop in your area. The local one that redid the copper radiator for me by putting new cores in my '56 radiator some 8/9 years ago now is no longer in business. The owner retired and I believe the kids didnt want to take it over. There are still some radiator shops in town but they are quite a drive from me and I never done business with them before so I don't know if they are any good or not.

Im hopeful that Cold-Case doesnt go under as they seem to be a hotrod company as they sell conversion radiators like Entropy Radiators do. Cold-Case has a radiator for our trucks that are setup for a 5.0 Coyote swap, something Entropy doesnt have last time I checked.