Bullnose Forums

4x4 Front Axle identifying

When I got my Marti reports they requested photos of my door tags.

I already received the Marti Report by email, and still waiting for the door sticker. In the report, there is a picture of the sticker I suppose they are going to send me.

I this is the case, I’ll be a little disappointed, some informations seem to be missing (tires, for example):

But there is a Type-GVW spec on it: W361. What does it mean?

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/model-codes.html

Screenshot_2022-07-27_125548.jpg.f04a042108f386a0b09d7cf973a0e242.jpg

Disregard the "Cab and Chassis" part. I just looked and found a few other F350 4x4's with the same code, and none of them were chassis cabs. The Ford literature is well known for misidentifying info like this.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/model-codes.html

Disregard the "Cab and Chassis" part. I just looked and found a few other F350 4x4's with the same code, and none of them were chassis cabs. The Ford literature is well known for misidentifying info like this.

Many thanks Dane & Shaun, you made me realized that the Marti gives these codes informations…. So sorry guys, I am curing a Covid and it is obvious that the Marshmallow-Under-The-Scalp isn’t completely gone, my synapses are slowly working again.

:nabble_smiley_uh:

0F36F727-79B1-474D-B07A-43D0C428A9EB.jpeg.e8fcec0a371e2e5ef63f56dde6b282f1.jpeg

For my 1984 Crew Cab, W361 is identified as 9300lbs GVW. Same as the brochure.

Wife and I were confined at our chalet, going back home soon, I’ll be able to crawl under Big Brother to identify the rear and front axles.

Thanks again all of you, for your friendly help!

:nabble_anim_handshake:

Many thanks Dane & Shaun, you made me realized that the Marti gives these codes informations…. So sorry guys, I am curing a Covid and it is obvious that the Marshmallow-Under-The-Scalp isn’t completely gone, my synapses are slowly working again.

Wife and I were confined at our chalet, going back home soon, I’ll be able to crawl under Big Brother to identify the rear and front axles.

Nice! I’m a fan of Marti reports.

Hello Jeff, your front axle should be a D50. Check the aluminum tag if it is still present, if not, measure the outboard hub diameter as a quick way to distinguish a D50 from a D44HD.

E480B94F-5876-4A2A-81DE-684A8459540C.jpeg.14700f0e7cee21210c2c2e75f1959fa6.jpeg

I am sorry to hear about your door sticker. It probably isn’t much help but here is mine from my 1986 crew cab:

EE5B44A0-80FC-4A2F-8555-886F78872426.jpeg.c89da9f2ca0be9429b9c619fd5e5c2fe.jpeg

My axles are D60 monobeam front and Sterling 10.25 rear, neither of which were used on 1984 F350’s. On the rear axle, defer to the aluminum axle tag if it is present. It could be either D60 or D70, but I have read that 4x4’s more often used D60’s.

I once had a 1981 F250 with 16.5” rims, but I think that was the end of that tire/rim era. I think you can safely assume that by 1984 your wheels would have been the same as my crew cab, 16”x6.5” rims and 235/85/R16 load range E tires.

Hello Jeff, your front axle should be a D50. Check the aluminum tag if it is still present, if not, measure the outboard hub diameter as a quick way to distinguish a D50 from a D44HD.

I am sorry to hear about your door sticker. It probably isn’t much help but here is mine from my 1986 crew cab:

My axles are D60 monobeam front and Sterling 10.25 rear, neither of which were used on 1984 F350’s. On the rear axle, defer to the aluminum axle tag if it is present. It could be either D60 or D70, but I have read that 4x4’s more often used D60’s.

I once had a 1981 F250 with 16.5” rims, but I think that was the end of that tire/rim era. I think you can safely assume that by 1984 your wheels would have been the same as my crew cab, 16”x6.5” rims and 235/85/R16 load range E tires.

Jonathan, many thanks for these informations.

Door sticker:

I paid Marti to receive a supposedly identical replica of Big Brother’s door sticker. I received the report by email and still waiting for the sticker. I am really curious about the informations it will contain. Thanks for sharing yours.

Stupid question: Where to stick it on the door post and what orientation? I saw on the web that some are vertically oriented, but others are 90° flipped.

Front axle:

We are on summer vacation right now and we came back home yesterday. The grass was so long (!) that I had to differ my truck projects: The tractor mower strap finally burned out, will repair and finalize the mower job today.

Can’t wait to go under Big Bro. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jonathan, many thanks for these informations.

Door sticker:

I paid Marti to receive a supposedly identical replica of Big Brother’s door sticker. I received the report by email and still waiting for the sticker. I am really curious about the informations it will contain. Thanks for sharing yours.

Stupid question: Where to stick it on the door post and what orientation? I saw on the web that some are vertically oriented, but others are 90° flipped.

Front axle:

We are on summer vacation right now and we came back home yesterday. The grass was so long (!) that I had to differ my truck projects: The tractor mower strap finally burned out, will repair and finalize the mower job today.

Can’t wait to go under Big Bro. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Hi Jeff, the crew cab door pillars don’t have anywhere to place the tag, so Ford placed it on the driver door just above the latching mechanism:

3797B6CD-7EB7-4AB9-B18D-52A2EE8DE8AA.jpeg.499aaed78bb329c33ff38d6f7f04f094.jpeg

Hi Jeff, the crew cab door pillars don’t have anywhere to place the tag, so Ford placed it on the driver door just above the latching mechanism:

Jonathan, you have found the solution to my torments: I was sure that the sticker was on the pillar!

When restoring Big Brother, its two front doors were in so bad shape that I decided to buy brand new ones. So, the famous sticker isn't gone in a sandblast operation or similar painting job. It's gone with the door!

OMG, I never realized that!

:nabble_smiley_cry:

Well, thanks again for this precious information!

Jonathan, you have found the solution to my torments: I was sure that the sticker was on the pillar!

When restoring Big Brother, its two front doors were in so bad shape that I decided to buy brand new ones. So, the famous sticker isn't gone in a sandblast operation or similar painting job. It's gone with the door!

OMG, I never realized that!

:nabble_smiley_cry:

Well, thanks again for this precious information!

Sorry that information was too late for you to save your sticker, but at least it is a mystery solved in terms of what happened to it 😓

• 2 weeks later...

Check the aluminum tag if it is still present

Ok, here are the results of my undertruck investigation:

• The front axle aluminum tag still exists, but is almost unreadable.

• Mesuring the external hub gives me +/- 4"

• Accordingly to Marti Report, Big Brother is equipped with a 4.10 Dana Conventional Rear Axle.

• Accordingly to some other information read on the forum, rear and front axles ratios must be the same.

• I think that I can distinguish a «4 10» on upper left corner or the tag... Can I really see it?

So, with these informations in hand, can we conclude that Big Brother's front axle is a 4.10 Dana 50?

Oh, btw, maybe somebody would be better than me to decrypt the rest of the aluminum tag numbers? :nabble_smiley_super:

I can read couple of numbers, but not enough sure of what I see. :nabble_anim_confused:

Finally, there are other stamped numbers on the differential casing... can they be decoded? I did not find data about these kind of stamping.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

9804C732-657C-4045-8C7A-5F6101454C7C.jpeg.bee01dcca2dce9ffa3ea3000e9963b20.jpeg

A5AFA837-0233-430B-9E08-B05E57B5A66B.jpeg.4f915355948cc0cab16e7662d76551cd.jpeg

E4295A7E-87B4-4A97-B4B9-66FF696AC83C.jpeg.eab707993b89b2e478a61d58fa2cde8c.jpeg

AA75B248-5FB1-4DB4-869F-7E354955E898.jpeg.f7b457a763a9b34597dcf879342bd32d.jpeg

Check the aluminum tag if it is still present

Ok, here are the results of my undertruck investigation:

• The front axle aluminum tag still exists, but is almost unreadable.

• Mesuring the external hub gives me +/- 4"

• Accordingly to Marti Report, Big Brother is equipped with a 4.10 Dana Conventional Rear Axle.

• Accordingly to some other information read on the forum, rear and front axles ratios must be the same.

• I think that I can distinguish a «4 10» on upper left corner or the tag... Can I really see it?

So, with these informations in hand, can we conclude that Big Brother's front axle is a 4.10 Dana 50?

Oh, btw, maybe somebody would be better than me to decrypt the rest of the aluminum tag numbers? :nabble_smiley_super:

I can read couple of numbers, but not enough sure of what I see. :nabble_anim_confused:

Finally, there are other stamped numbers on the differential casing... can they be decoded? I did not find data about these kind of stamping.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

Jeff, I think you are right on the mark with it being a 4.10 D50. The tag is indeed very difficult to make out, but it does look like there may be the remnants of a “4 10” there, and that is the correct portion of the tag for the gear ratio:

D70DCD67-093D-4D63-AE3D-37CDAB16C986.jpeg.a5fde0cc3fa0961e97c98d71fe43fa45.jpeg

Here is also an additional aid in confirming the axle is a D50

60650CBA-C300-4371-A954-2A1C4CDFDEE1.jpeg.8e53064409b4f35f0a42c025317ecd8b.jpeg