Bullnose Forums

Ignition only starting when e-brake applied

Strangest thing. When I shut off the engine with the key and go to start it again it will only turn over if I have pressed the e-brake. Is this a ground issue or is there a wiring issue I need to go chase?

85 Full Size 302.

Do you have a manual or an automatic? There is a clutch switch on a manual to ensure the engine can't be started in gear and it is possible that the e-brake mechanism is moving things just enough to keep that switch from closing.

Gary, can you point to a diagram showing this clutch switch? Where is it installed, what does it look like?

This would avoid occasional Big Brother's drivers to inadvertently make him "frog jumping" at startup.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Gary, can you point to a diagram showing this clutch switch? Where is it installed, what does it look like?

This would avoid occasional Big Brother's drivers to inadvertently make him "frog jumping" at startup.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes and no. The OP has an '85 and the schematic below is from the '85 EVTM. But you have an '84 and I'm not sure exactly when the clutch lockout switch was introduced. There wasn't one in '81, but if my memory serves it was introduced in '84. So yours may or may not have one.

1985-etm-page27.thumb.jpg.0bcb19fcba48291f05ec60809fa8a73d.jpg

1985-etm-page31_1.thumb.jpg.2d91b25f5a42b8ae9dd94223a76613dc.jpg

1985-etm-page36.thumb.jpg.1388373ed2a52686c5b9a22f39df2479.jpg

Yes and no. The OP has an '85 and the schematic below is from the '85 EVTM. But you have an '84 and I'm not sure exactly when the clutch lockout switch was introduced. There wasn't one in '81, but if my memory serves it was introduced in '84. So yours may or may not have one.

Thanks Gary!

:nabble_anim_handshake:

I’ll take a look on that, maybe I can fit one on Big Bro.

One more "project" in file…