Bullnose Forums

Diary of a Restore (Thread)

Got the pillar done today. 400 grit sanded the crack area lightly. It looked good, so primed the area and shot the color. Result = 1st pic.

For ref, the inside patch area all sanded down.

Up next—the dash stain and repair. Silver paint coming this week, then tearing into the truck and removing parts for prep and paint.

IMG_2576.thumb.jpeg.a046bb1ae14f1fbf472f87ed3b62298f.jpegIMG_2574.thumb.jpeg.bdeabc23907819ec403c7291680cccd5.jpeg

Got the pillar done today. 400 grit sanded the crack area lightly. It looked good, so primed the area and shot the color. Result = 1st pic.

For ref, the inside patch area all sanded down.

Up next—the dash stain and repair. Silver paint coming this week, then tearing into the truck and removing parts for prep and paint.

:nabble_anim_claps:

Started on the dash and took the P side kick panel out.

I just received the silver today, so, I hope to have the dash done tomorrow. I tested two spots on it—the cubby and the wiper/lights panel with Satin black, and then satin gloss. The cubby needed it because I had to sand glue off the inside. Prepped, primed, and shot the black and the satin gloss. For the light/wiper section, it was not completely dry yet, but overall, I say it looks alright.

The kick panel was so degraded, it took off the texture—the plastic fell off like sand as I stripped and then sanded it with 180 by hand. So I used the SEM texture (have to shoot it from 2 feet away!) It is not OEM, but it does cover up a lot of imperfection. Shot is before I shot the color. It goes on black. I knocked it down a bit with 400 grit.

Onward!

IMG_2579.thumb.jpeg.96b571707445645f4856cee2de8dd69d.jpegIMG_2582.thumb.jpeg.3ab3f5356b050e01f84e6a6803549361.jpegIMG_2585.thumb.jpeg.891441ca7c3524aa11c74e1daf2a9a83.jpeg

Started on the dash and took the P side kick panel out.

I just received the silver today, so, I hope to have the dash done tomorrow. I tested two spots on it—the cubby and the wiper/lights panel with Satin black, and then satin gloss. The cubby needed it because I had to sand glue off the inside. Prepped, primed, and shot the black and the satin gloss. For the light/wiper section, it was not completely dry yet, but overall, I say it looks alright.

The kick panel was so degraded, it took off the texture—the plastic fell off like sand as I stripped and then sanded it with 180 by hand. So I used the SEM texture (have to shoot it from 2 feet away!) It is not OEM, but it does cover up a lot of imperfection. Shot is before I shot the color. It goes on black. I knocked it down a bit with 400 grit.

Onward!

Looking good! I think the silver pen is in my future. And that SEM texture appears to be a good solution to the problem of the plastic turning mealy and shedding the texture. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looking good! I think the silver pen is in my future. And that SEM texture appears to be a good solution to the problem of the plastic turning mealy and shedding the texture. :nabble_smiley_good:

It took me a while to figure it out--I started too close..can says 1-2 feet. I was at 1 foot, and it was not providing texture. 2 feet away did the trick! For giving the surface something besides the original texture and then smooth (which looks hinkey) it blends everything together. I got it for the dash, but I forgot that when I got those kick panels at the pick in 2022, they were sandy on the surface. Prepping them today reminded me...I took all the loose stuff OFF. So I am glad I tried the texture in a more less inconspicuous place.

Oh the dash: That pic I should re-load. It looks MUCH better all flashed--no apparent inconsistencies in the black satin.

Have to say, I am loving me some SEM right now though.

It took me a while to figure it out--I started too close..can says 1-2 feet. I was at 1 foot, and it was not providing texture. 2 feet away did the trick! For giving the surface something besides the original texture and then smooth (which looks hinkey) it blends everything together. I got it for the dash, but I forgot that when I got those kick panels at the pick in 2022, they were sandy on the surface. Prepping them today reminded me...I took all the loose stuff OFF. So I am glad I tried the texture in a more less inconspicuous place.

Oh the dash: That pic I should re-load. It looks MUCH better all flashed--no apparent inconsistencies in the black satin.

Have to say, I am loving me some SEM right now though.

Slow going today as unexpected things pressed my time. BUT, I got the entire dash taped off and shot the rest of the satin black, then gloss. Also running a glue test for the indicator covers the light shows through—a few are broken. Using LokWeld for the test.

Tomorrow, silver! And if all goes well, gluing in the rest of the indicators….then the dash will be prepped and done. After that, cab pillar and door plastic on P-side.

Meantime, here is steering column cover restored. Almost looks new. No paint, just a lot of plastic polish on this one.

IMG_2594.thumb.jpeg.c2087102b57e7edc6b2399fd7013617f.jpeg

Slow going today as unexpected things pressed my time. BUT, I got the entire dash taped off and shot the rest of the satin black, then gloss. Also running a glue test for the indicator covers the light shows through—a few are broken. Using LokWeld for the test.

Tomorrow, silver! And if all goes well, gluing in the rest of the indicators….then the dash will be prepped and done. After that, cab pillar and door plastic on P-side.

Meantime, here is steering column cover restored. Almost looks new. No paint, just a lot of plastic polish on this one.

That's amazing that it cleaned up that nicely. How did you do that? :nabble_anim_confused:

That's amazing that it cleaned up that nicely. How did you do that? :nabble_anim_confused:

I used Car Guys plastic cleaner/restore. I hear Mothers is also good. Anyway, the trick is work it in (I did with my fingers) and then left overnight. Wiped down with a soft cloth the next morning Here is link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FRWWRF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I used Car Guys plastic cleaner/restore. I hear Mothers is also good. Anyway, the trick is work it in (I did with my fingers) and then left overnight. Wiped down with a soft cloth the next morning Here is link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FRWWRF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

A Little Before/after on dash. I still have two indicators to glue into place, but essentially, it is done.

Oh, I used the silver paint here, and the nail swabs from the Rosewood write-up. I ROLLED the swab—I did not paint in a brush motion. The author of that piece (Jonathan?) is correct—these are the swabs to use.

However, I used SEM satin gloss over it ALL. I experienced no issues with the silver.

Anyway, FWIW:

IMG_2556_copy.thumb.jpeg.d2c3c07941266a784d0fc1b437227dc2.jpegIMG_2596.thumb.jpeg.efff5400d8aa49946f7d93d6d8fec0d1.jpeg

A Little Before/after on dash. I still have two indicators to glue into place, but essentially, it is done.

Oh, I used the silver paint here, and the nail swabs from the Rosewood write-up. I ROLLED the swab—I did not paint in a brush motion. The author of that piece (Jonathan?) is correct—these are the swabs to use.

However, I used SEM satin gloss over it ALL. I experienced no issues with the silver.

Anyway, FWIW:

So, cab pillar today—It recently started to downpour here, so had to stop for the day, and also had to repair part of the pillar so waiting for it to dry and cure.

I stripped it of all the paint, sanded, and sanded, and…you get the idea. Nice and light, not aggressive sanding. No more than 100, and no finer than 180.

You will see a fiberglass patch here. I did that on the backside, and then on the side that had the hole, filled it with resin and sanded. It came from the Pick this way with a hole in it right above the seat belt opening—degraded plastic and mealy. Beggars cannot be choosers—do you know how difficult it is to find the right cab pillar?! If I could find others, I would snag them, but never have since that time. The previous owners trashed all the inside plastic and liners/healiner, etc., so, I had to rebuild.

Anyway Will shoot the paint tomorrow, assuming my resin sets and does not separate. There looks like a small patch that did not take, so, I may have to cut that out carefully with a dremel tomorrow. IF the resin separates, which it can, I will need to scuff up the inside plastic with a wire brush to provide grab and then reapply.

Pics! 👇

IMG_2599.thumb.jpeg.f2bffb395b16b459e24ab8be1293393a.jpegIMG_2601.thumb.jpeg.1c36810b152d9b440c4ad824d688e13b.jpegIMG_2602.thumb.jpeg.b7e4d855827c29ba57a29cde07d3990f.jpeg