Bullnose Forums

need new shocks on the band van - '86 E-150

I've seen add-on springs like that, and they usually fit about any shock. But I can't say that those will fit whatever you buy as they have to go over the outside of the shock. :nabble_anim_confused:

On the nut, I've used a strap wrench to keep the shock from turning. But some shocks have a flat cut into the very end of the shaft on which you can put a wrench.

I found this at O'reilly for $14. The inner shaft fits the top of the shock stud, and the outer one slides down onto the nut. Pretty nifty, so long as it fits.

20400c_0C047021037EC.jpg.e0b0ba6f7dc1de14b02b228dd6bca354.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So, did it work?

Been meaning to respond but keep forgetting. This tool kinda works, but it would be more useful if it were an inch shorter. Only on the passenger front did I have enough clearance. But still, the front's were Bilstein's which used an 11/16" nut, and the outer, black sheath only has two sizes - 9/16" and 5/8". So, really all I was able to use was the inner silver shaft to hold the stud in place while I wrenched on the nut. It was really difficult to keep it on the stud while turning the wrench, so I eventually just put vise grips on the top of the stud and let them stop against the fender well while working the wrench.

and wtf, Bilstein? there were two nuts on the stud but they were not as tall as a normal nut so there was no way to put a wrench on each. Fortunately, on the passenger side it wasn't too hard to remove both nuts together but the driver side was impossible. It took 30 minutes to get the top nut off, and I busted the stud trying to remove the lower nut. but hey, problem solved.

The new Monroe Gasmatics feel real nice on the front. Installing the load adjusting shocks on the rear required getting full extension of the axle from the frame (I had to add wooden blocks to my small jack) because in their uninstalled state, they are longer than a standard shock. The body sits 1" higher than it did before, and the rear rides a little hard when the van is empty but its real nice when fully loaded (which is 90% of the time I'm driving it).