Bullnose Forums

New Tires For Big Blue

At work my vehicle is an 08 F-250 4x4 with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They are a bit noisy but they do well in the mud and I haven't got stuck yet, fingers crossed. At this point I just don't believe in a compromise with tires. Either they're quiet and low rolling resistance or they are good off-road. That's just my opinion.

Duratracs are by far the worst tire I have owned. I ran them in 33x12.50, but they were only Load Range C and both sets I bought wore out within 25k. Blew my mind because I had them on my Ranger which isn't a heavy truck at all. I have Centennial Dirt Commanders on the truck now and they've outlasted my previous two sets of Duratracs and they aren't nearly as noisy as the Duratracs were, even though the Dirt Commander is an MT. I thought I was getting a quality tire when I bought the Duratracs, but man was I wrong. The only good I can say, is that they were great in sugar sand and I never got stuck with them.

At work my vehicle is an 08 F-250 4x4 with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They are a bit noisy but they do well in the mud and I haven't got stuck yet, fingers crossed. At this point I just don't believe in a compromise with tires. Either they're quiet and low rolling resistance or they are good off-road. That's just my opinion.

Duratracs are by far the worst tire I have owned. I ran them in 33x12.50, but they were only Load Range C and both sets I bought wore out within 25k. Blew my mind because I had them on my Ranger which isn't a heavy truck at all. I have Centennial Dirt Commanders on the truck now and they've outlasted my previous two sets of Duratracs and they aren't nearly as noisy as the Duratracs were, even though the Dirt Commander is an MT. I thought I was getting a quality tire when I bought the Duratracs, but man was I wrong. The only good I can say, is that they were great in sugar sand and I never got stuck with them.

It is interesting that there can be such different experiences with what would seem to be the same tire. I believe it, but am blown away with all of the different experiences people have had.

Which is why I'm really thrilled with what I've seen so far with the Falkens on Big Blue. Tests I've read say that it is a good tire for the type of off-roading I'll do, and the on-road experience I had today was excellent. So if they hold up as they are supposed to do I think I'm going to be really happy.

It is interesting that there can be such different experiences with what would seem to be the same tire. I believe it, but am blown away with all of the different experiences people have had.

Which is why I'm really thrilled with what I've seen so far with the Falkens on Big Blue. Tests I've read say that it is a good tire for the type of off-roading I'll do, and the on-road experience I had today was excellent. So if they hold up as they are supposed to do I think I'm going to be really happy.

Glad to hear you like the tires, Gary. They are a good looking tire and were relatively quiet on my friend's GMC. Pictures of Blue wear his new shoes?

Glad to hear you like the tires, Gary. They are a good looking tire and were relatively quiet on my friend's GMC. Pictures of Blue wear his new shoes?

Thanks, John. I really think I'm going to like the tires.

I'm trying to work out what pressure to run. In the pic below you can see the cardboard I've run over trying to get an "impression" regarding the amount of pressure across the tire. I've done both 60 and 50 psi and there is very little difference. At 50 the edges were slightly more defined than at 60, but not dramatically more.

With the front axle weighing in at 3720 lbs yesterday I am thinking about trying 50 psi on our jaunt tomorrow. That gives 4700 lbs of capacity in the tires interpolating from 80 psi at 3750 lbs of capacity. So I'd think that the 1000 lbs of head room would be quite adequate for now until we really load the truck up for the trip.

Thoughts, y'all?

Big_Blues_New_Shoes.thumb.jpg.3f1f747ba22ccdfe9dc8562ac51fca1b.jpg

Thanks, John. I really think I'm going to like the tires.

I'm trying to work out what pressure to run. In the pic below you can see the cardboard I've run over trying to get an "impression" regarding the amount of pressure across the tire. I've done both 60 and 50 psi and there is very little difference. At 50 the edges were slightly more defined than at 60, but not dramatically more.

With the front axle weighing in at 3720 lbs yesterday I am thinking about trying 50 psi on our jaunt tomorrow. That gives 4700 lbs of capacity in the tires interpolating from 80 psi at 3750 lbs of capacity. So I'd think that the 1000 lbs of head room would be quite adequate for now until we really load the truck up for the trip.

Thoughts, y'all?

Big Blue looks right at "home" in that photo and the tires look good! :nabble_smiley_good:

And the tinted windows look right!

Looks awesome, Gary!

Thanks, guys.

I think the tires are the right size, although our son pushed for 35's instead of 33's. But his mother objected as getting in is already enough of a challenge. And as I told him, 35's will hurt the MPG and we have a lot of driving to do.

And, speaking of the tint, the guy ran out of the stuff and didn't get the piece across the top of the windshield installed. So I need to take it back and have that done before October as it'll help Janey a lot.

Thanks, guys.

I think the tires are the right size, although our son pushed for 35's instead of 33's. But his mother objected as getting in is already enough of a challenge. And as I told him, 35's will hurt the MPG and we have a lot of driving to do.

And, speaking of the tint, the guy ran out of the stuff and didn't get the piece across the top of the windshield installed. So I need to take it back and have that done before October as it'll help Janey a lot.

That's why my Bronco doesn't have 35s either! (and I'm not talking about the mileage)

Thanks, guys.

looks good. and the tire size looks appropriate. too many just think bigger is always better but it is not the case. they forget that we are spinning four gyro graphs. and the bigger they are the more they can take control from you and with little to no warning.

looks good. and the tire size looks appropriate. too many just think bigger is always better but it is not the case. they forget that we are spinning four gyro graphs. and the bigger they are the more they can take control from you and with little to no warning.

Looking good!

Also, agree how we all have different experiences with tires, the Duratracs I have are not my favorite tire. Horrible on sloppy stuff and grip the gravel and spit it out at 55mph!