Bullnose Forums

Trans shifting issue

4 speed manual in my 86 3/4 ton 4wd with 460. When cold everything works fine. After driving and it warms up it gets harder and harder to shift and some grinding during change. Is this a slave cylinder issue and if so, are you supposed to change the entire system? Master, tube and slave cylinder? I did check transmission fluid level and it is fine

It sounds like the clutch isn't fully releasing when hot. And that could be due to a clutch linkage problem, including the master and slave.

Have you checked that the clutch master has enough fluid in it? There's a dust boot under the lid and you have to pull it out in order to see the level. And you shouldn't fill it up too much or it'll run out when you put the boot in.

It sounds like the clutch isn't fully releasing when hot. And that could be due to a clutch linkage problem, including the master and slave.

Have you checked that the clutch master has enough fluid in it? There's a dust boot under the lid and you have to pull it out in order to see the level. And you shouldn't fill it up too much or it'll run out when you put the boot in.

Fluid level is actually too high, it comes out when I take the cap off.

Fluid level is actually too high, it comes out when I take the cap off.

Have you taken the boot out? Not saying you are like :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, but when I got Big Blue it shifted like yours. When I pulled the cap on the clutch master it looked like it had plenty of fluid, but that was just fluid someone had added on top of the boot. After pulling the boot and adding fluid to the reservoir itself it started shifting much better.

Have you taken the boot out? Not saying you are like :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, but when I got Big Blue it shifted like yours. When I pulled the cap on the clutch master it looked like it had plenty of fluid, but that was just fluid someone had added on top of the boot. After pulling the boot and adding fluid to the reservoir itself it started shifting much better.

Pulled the boot and the fluid level was above the step on the master. Had the boss of me depress the pedal and measured movement at 7/16”.

Pulled the boot and the fluid level was above the step on the master. Had the boss of me depress the pedal and measured movement at 7/16”.

I don't know what the movement should be, so can't comment. But at least you've found that you have fluid. :nabble_smiley_good:

Lets let someone else chime in as I'm not sure where to go next.

In my old 88 F250 with the ZF tranny, someone overfilled it and it did not shift good at all.

What type of fluid is in the tranny? Does it call for ATF?

In my old 88 F250 with the ZF tranny, someone overfilled it and it did not shift good at all.

What type of fluid is in the tranny? Does it call for ATF?

80 weight. Clutch acts like it is not disengaging. I have to turn the engine off and put it in gear. With clutch depressed this afternoon and in neutral, I could push the shifter toward granny low and the truck would creep forward and stop when I released pressure on the shifter.

80 weight. Clutch acts like it is not disengaging. I have to turn the engine off and put it in gear. With clutch depressed this afternoon and in neutral, I could push the shifter toward granny low and the truck would creep forward and stop when I released pressure on the shifter.

Yes, seems to be engaged.