Bullnose Forums

Engine Sludge

When I got my truck I knew there was a couple gaskets leaking. Yesterday I removed the valve cover and the side lifter rod cover (forget the name). No surprise, I found several huge holes in the gasket. What did surprise me was the amount of sludge in there.

First Question: Is this normal?

Second Question: What's the best method for cleaning out the sludge?

I used degreaser on the covers. Can I use the same stuff on the head if I plug the drain holes that lead to the oil pan?

I have attached photos. I'm sorry as I'm pretty sure there is a special format to get them to come though but I don't remember what it is. Let me know if they work or how to change them.20220626_094847.jpg.2d5d77af2c5f7b1629a7a41cd7d560b3.jpg20220626_100305.jpg.8f065feaf1b937ba6dda58a1abad3ad4.jpg20220626_102433.jpg.c3a4424e28527159a67f0dbe684f0486.jpg20220626_102259.jpg.9fd29634a7640109b7223db118389110.jpg20220626_151622.jpg.f5356a0a1f57ecc8d91833082ee76ac6.jpg

OH MY GOODNESS! You win the prize for sludge! :nabble_smiley_oh:

I've never seen anything like that. That's awful, and you'll have to be very careful getting rid of it.

Yes, you can plug the drain holes in the head and use degreaser. But I think I'd start with a putty knife and get as much out as you can by hand to give the degreaser a fighting chance.

But, what you can't see is what is in the pan, and there is surely similar stuff down there. David/1986F150Six has a story about the stuff in the pan of his 300 that let go and plugged the oil pump pickup screen, and he had to have a mechanic pull the pan and clean it out to get the flow going again.

I don't really know what to tell you about the best approach to prevent that. But you might consider biting the bullet and pulling the pan while you are at it, 'cause you stand a very real chance of having all of whatever is down there coming loose and plugging the pickup.

Or, you could :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: and use some ATF in the oil, changing frequently, and hope for the best. But I wouldn't plan any long trips until you get it clean for fear that it'll let go while on the trip and strand you.

And to add more to David's story, he had been changing oil religiously for years and had driven the truck on several long trips, only to have it happen an hour into a 600 mile trip. Luckily he was able to limp home with no damage, but it was a near miss. The point being, that you won't know what is "down there" for years - unless you pull the pan.

I've never seen anything like that. That's awful, and you'll have to be very careful getting rid of it.

Yes, you can plug the drain holes in the head and use degreaser. But I think I'd start with a putty knife and get as much out as you can by hand to give the degreaser a fighting chance.

But, what you can't see is what is in the pan, and there is surely similar stuff down there. David/1986F150Six has a story about the stuff in the pan of his 300 that let go and plugged the oil pump pickup screen, and he had to have a mechanic pull the pan and clean it out to get the flow going again.

I don't really know what to tell you about the best approach to prevent that. But you might consider biting the bullet and pulling the pan while you are at it, 'cause you stand a very real chance of having all of whatever is down there coming loose and plugging the pickup.

Or, you could :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: and use some ATF in the oil, changing frequently, and hope for the best. But I wouldn't plan any long trips until you get it clean for fear that it'll let go while on the trip and strand you.

And to add more to David's story, he had been changing oil religiously for years and had driven the truck on several long trips, only to have it happen an hour into a 600 mile trip. Luckily he was able to limp home with no damage, but it was a near miss. The point being, that you won't know what is "down there" for years - unless you pull the pan.

Best way to remove it? B12 Chemtool.

Best way to plug your pickup? Also B12 chemtool. Several oil changes and pan drops later I'm having junk come out of my wife's Kia Sedona after doing that... and it wasn't as bad as this!

As indestructible as 300's are, I'd honestly say that the "best" option would be pulling the engine for a rebuild. Either this thing was fed a steady diet of vintage Pennzoil/Quaker state conventional (Pennsylvania oil is notorious for excessive moisture that causes sludge like this) or it never saw oil changes. Either way goodness know what else is jacked up... bearings, rings/bore, etc.

Otherwise, if you use any sort of a flush, you'll be at risk of debris coming loose and plugging your pickup at the worst possible time. Over and over again... lots of pan drops, which is especially no fun on an RWD vehicle!

please consider this. if you choose to use a detergent like atf, it may not work as hoped. it will not necessarily wash this away from the surface to the block, it may just as easily dissolve the chunks bond to where it accumulated, freeing large and small flakes and chunks and then create a log jam so to speak at any number of points on the way down. pulling the pan is by far the best plan. I would slow down and consider a few more points before going too deeply.

what is the goal of the truck?

how many miles are on the engine?

what service is it really due for?

then make an honest assessment so that you don't spend three thousand trying not to spend two

please consider this. if you choose to use a detergent like atf, it may not work as hoped. it will not necessarily wash this away from the surface to the block, it may just as easily dissolve the chunks bond to where it accumulated, freeing large and small flakes and chunks and then create a log jam so to speak at any number of points on the way down. pulling the pan is by far the best plan. I would slow down and consider a few more points before going too deeply.

what is the goal of the truck?

how many miles are on the engine?

what service is it really due for?

then make an honest assessment so that you don't spend three thousand trying not to spend two

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'm going to take Gary's approach (which is the same I used to clean the covers) and putty knife first then go at it with the degreaser. Does anyone know how many/where the drain holes are located? I will also drop the pan. I'm sure that gasket is toast too. Not going to use ATF as I don't want chunks floating around in there. I really don't want to do a complete engine rebuild. This is just a fun project truck that I bought from a friend because the price was right.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'm going to take Gary's approach (which is the same I used to clean the covers) and putty knife first then go at it with the degreaser. Does anyone know how many/where the drain holes are located? I will also drop the pan. I'm sure that gasket is toast too. Not going to use ATF as I don't want chunks floating around in there. I really don't want to do a complete engine rebuild. This is just a fun project truck that I bought from a friend because the price was right.

you may find this a burden or a labor of love. it's different for everyone but around here it seems to be more of the latter. there is nothing like building or having built your own. I love all the thumbs up I get when driving my "baby bronco". but it's really bullnoses for me !

you may find this a burden or a labor of love. it's different for everyone but around here it seems to be more of the latter. there is nothing like building or having built your own. I love all the thumbs up I get when driving my "baby bronco". but it's really bullnoses for me !

What is this baby Bronco you speak of???