Bullnose Forum

How much to re-gear a 1983 f150

Originally I was thinking more power for bigger tires, I plan on putting on 33's, but after reading some of the replies here and looking around a little more I'm strongly re-considering.

Right now the ratio is 3.5, it has a c6 trans and a 9" rear end.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

that is a very common setup for a work truck. even still it will run close to 3000rpm at hwy speeds already. I have one that with 3.55 and 32" tires it does 3k at 75mph. so, I swapped in a 3.08 to bring it down closer to 26-2700. this is THE reason that I build od trans for the ones I build. with my aodw, and a 3.73 gear i run 2k at 70 and have great power on stock size tires

that is a very common setup for a work truck. even still it will run close to 3000rpm at hwy speeds already. I have one that with 3.55 and 32" tires it does 3k at 75mph. so, I swapped in a 3.08 to bring it down closer to 26-2700. this is THE reason that I build od trans for the ones I build. with my aodw, and a 3.73 gear i run 2k at 70 and have great power on stock size tires

Use the calculator at Documentation/Driveline/Calculators to figure out what your RPM will be at any speed. But with 3.55 gears and 33" tires I'm running ~1900 @ 65 MPH.