Bullnose Forums

Flex Plate?

on the plus side.:nabble_smiley_sleep: you may not need to remove the four torque converter nuts while under the truck.

Yes sir, wish I had a shop and a lift and was about 20 years younger. I know how to perform the work, just can’t do it anymore laying in the dirt. This 110 degree heat isn’t helping things any. Quickest I can get it into a shop to be repaired is June 24th.

Yes sir, wish I had a shop and a lift and was about 20 years younger. I know how to perform the work, just can’t do it anymore laying in the dirt. This 110 degree heat isn’t helping things any. Quickest I can get it into a shop to be repaired is June 24th.

110? where are you?

population 0. it don't get much smaller than that:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

• 2 weeks later...

population 0. it don't get much smaller than thathttp://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

Well, got Bubba back just a little bit ago. Here is a picture of the flexplate. They didn’t find anything else wrong. Glad to have him back.

CAA88D1D-F241-43EE-AA8A-58AF8A6A6D76.jpeg.da86919bcb180248afac8e19e01da4a2.jpeg

Well, got Bubba back just a little bit ago. Here is a picture of the flexplate. They didn’t find anything else wrong. Glad to have him back.

I have seen a couple of those, not on Fords, one on an Oldsmobile Diesel we owned and one on a 3.0L Plymouth Grand Voyager.

I have seen a couple of those, not on Fords, one on an Oldsmobile Diesel we owned and one on a 3.0L Plymouth Grand Voyager.

I've had it happen on small block Chevs. Never on a Ford. When it did happen, I caught it before it completely broke out. It was cracked and flexing, causing vibration.

I've had it happen on small block Chevs. Never on a Ford. When it did happen, I caught it before it completely broke out. It was cracked and flexing, causing vibration.

I did see a Ford that was breaking flex plates, an Explorer 4.0L that a shop had put an aftermarket one in. The OEM one had a reinforcement like some other applications, I think the 302 in our 1970 1/2 Falcon had one.

The aftermarket one, it may have been Dorman, had the same design, except the reinforcement was spot welded to the flex plate. The shop told the woman who owned it that there was something wrong with her truck and they weren't going to replace any more for her.

When I pulled the flex plate out, I found it was fractured across two of the three weld boundaries. I ordered a new Ford one and it came with a reinforcement, but not welded. I went to a friend's transmission shop and had him order me an aftermarket replacement.

Into the laboratory it went along with the last failed one. Weld areas were found to be quite hard and brittle and a microscopic examination confirmed some stress cracking in the weld boundaries as it came out of the box. She never had the Ford one fail, and my transmission shop friend decided he would never use an aftermarket one.

This was a definite case of the OEM part being superior to the "improved" replacement.