Bullnose Forums

Do late 70's and 80's era coils require ballast resistor?

Gents,

I'm just sorting out my new Painless wiring kits and ignition parts trying to figure out what the layout will be, and the Painless Duraspark wiring harness came with a ballast resistor.

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30812

The instructions just say to read the fine print on the coil to see if it requires an external ballast resistor or not. Problem is, the coil I bought doesn't have much fine print, and certainly nothing referencing a ballast resistor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6280596&cc=1121443&pt=7060&jsn=8046

It's a Spectra Premium C610, that supposedly replaces the OEM Ford part numbers below.

D5AZ12029A, F5028005Z (or, at least the first part number is a Ford number...)

I thought that by late 70's or early 80's that external ballast resistors were no longer required?

Can anybody confirm if it would be required or not? I assume no, but want to be sure.

You are right that there is no external ballast resistor for 70's and 80's Fords. That's because it is buried in the wiring harness, as shown below. It is the 1.1 ohm resistor shown just below the ignition switch.

So since you won't have that you need an external ballast resistor.

1985-etm-page27.thumb.jpg.921cd793cfc5a97a7ccbf8e45810edb2.jpg

Alright then, that settles that tuit de suite! Thanks Gary.

I guess I'll wire in the ballast resistor. I also bought the Painless Wiring 21 circuit full chassis wiring harness kit, so everything will be new.

Alright then, that settles that tuit de suite! Thanks Gary.

I guess I'll wire in the ballast resistor. I also bought the Painless Wiring 21 circuit full chassis wiring harness kit, so everything will be new.

If you want it to be less obvious, check out some of the Mustang restoration suppliers. The Mustangs used a resistance wire in the dash harness, but it plugged in at both ends. This was to facilitate a tachometer installation as Fords factory one used the positive side for the signal.

That's because it is buried in the wiring harness, as shown below. It is the 1.1 ohm resistor shown just below the ignition switch.

Thanks Gary.

Interesting, I'll remember that.

Jeff - That drawing makes it look like the resistance wire is easily seen. But it isn't. Somewhere we have a discussion about it and, IIRC, a picture of where it is. However, I can't find it. But I can tell you that it runs in the harness within the dash and is not easily gotten to.

Jeff - That drawing makes it look like the resistance wire is easily seen. But it isn't. Somewhere we have a discussion about it and, IIRC, a picture of where it is. However, I can't find it. But I can tell you that it runs in the harness within the dash and is not easily gotten to.

Thanks for the precision!

Here is how Painless Wiring has it on their diagram. I'm not 100% sure how this is all going to work yet as I have to find a location for everything first. Also not sure what to do about my ignition switch yet. This truck has an ignition switch with a separate button just for the starter. I might just buy a combo switch from a later truck with the key in the dash, like a 70's truck.

painless_wiring.jpg.380d206ba7ce38a1ca967ccd6b8f3c7d.jpg

Here is how Painless Wiring has it on their diagram. I'm not 100% sure how this is all going to work yet as I have to find a location for everything first. Also not sure what to do about my ignition switch yet. This truck has an ignition switch with a separate button just for the starter. I might just buy a combo switch from a later truck with the key in the dash, like a 70's truck.

That wiring should work nicely. But is the push button on the dash for the starter original? If so I think I'd leave it. If not, I'd do as you said and use a later switch with start included.

That wiring should work nicely. But is the push button on the dash for the starter original? If so I think I'd leave it. If not, I'd do as you said and use a later switch with start included.

Hey Gary,

Yes the push button start is original. The ignition switch is really just a power switch. I was thinking of converting it to a later style dash ignition switch, like from a first gen Bronco or a pickup mainly for simplicity, but since I have modified the original steering column, I no longer have a horn, so I was thinking of converting the starter push button to a horn button.

We'll see. I'll see how it all looks when I start chopping the original wiring away...