Bullnose Forums

Electrical-Underhood Pigtails?

Hey there Bullnose Team,

These 2 Harness Plugs (click image) are actually OK (I'm snickering), unfortunately the harness going to them is TOAST, I got a small "bite" while the engine was running and decided, maybe NOW is the time to work on this issue....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S11NNHsXbxz-fk1QOwvEYn4yL9n4oywgQgU3TjodN8Bxt42J9gU3fXSbgsCZDO_QIV4yDK7qk-M8xYkOtvNyaK5J5skBct69LYTbMf301Y-NJW5VtPGQocHrbJv9mG7bSnO55XrnmEU=w493-h315-p-k

I looked about the site but I did not find the call out for a replacement plug or pigtail, I'm open to used ones if anyone has them, the stuff I can find on eBay is Huge Money and way to extensive. I know my way around with a soldering iron...

Ooops, I found these:

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS HP4735

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4673523&cc=1123793&pt=10623&jsn=3581

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS HP3935

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4673358&cc=1123793&pt=10623&jsn=3582

...anyone have a good experience with them?

Well, we really don't have those connectors identified and links to where to buy them set out. But we do have a link to Ford's Pigtails catalog where you might find them. I say "might" because I've not looked.

But to answer your question, Standard Motor Products stuff used to be good. However, like many things, some of their stuff has gone downhill of late, so I can't say about those connectors.

Having said that, Bill Vose/85lebaront2 recently sent me some info that I've not posted yet. He said that the DS-II 3-wire connector is AUVECO PN 20841 and the DS-II 4-wire is AUVECO PN 20844.

And, he included this screenshot from Clips And Fasteners. I've purchased from both Auveco & C&F and they are good suppliers.

Bills_Clips__Fasteners_2_-_Edited.thumb.png.ddc38fbdccd8bd1960c35be6edc5e5ea.png

Well, we really don't have those connectors identified and links to where to buy them set out. But we do have a link to Ford's Pigtails catalog where you might find them. I say "might" because I've not looked.

But to answer your question, Standard Motor Products stuff used to be good. However, like many things, some of their stuff has gone downhill of late, so I can't say about those connectors.

Having said that, Bill Vose/85lebaront2 recently sent me some info that I've not posted yet. He said that the DS-II 3-wire connector is AUVECO PN 20841 and the DS-II 4-wire is AUVECO PN 20844.

And, he included this screenshot from Clips And Fasteners. I've purchased from both Auveco & C&F and they are good suppliers.

Thanks again Gary,

I'll be sure to update my post with my finished product (as replaced) and I also thought about extending the harness to start running the ignition module harness back toward the Firewall before bringing it forward to the distributor area. and get rid of the harness running from the fender well to the engine block, hopefully a more clean install.

Thanks again Gary,

I'll be sure to update my post with my finished product (as replaced) and I also thought about extending the harness to start running the ignition module harness back toward the Firewall before bringing it forward to the distributor area. and get rid of the harness running from the fender well to the engine block, hopefully a more clean install.

That would get rid of that set of wires hanging between the fender liner and the engine. :nabble_smiley_good:

That would get rid of that set of wires hanging between the fender liner and the engine. :nabble_smiley_good:

I was always wondering why Ford installed this module there, on the fender liner, exposed to water, salt and all dirts that contaminate the engine compartment.

About the wire plug, I replaced the truck male one for the same reason than yours (corroded and almost cut wires), same as for the module itself (bran new one). I bought the two at NAPA, was very satisfied, same as original.

Followed the wiring diagram colours codes for the truck male plug, and… nothing, no start. Examining the original plug, I discovered that I had to reverse the position of two wires to reproduce the original condition, in full disregard of the diagram. Mystery. Nothing to see with NAPA plug, the truck simply does not respect the diagram colours codes.

I was always wondering why Ford installed this module there, on the fender liner, exposed to water, salt and all dirts that contaminate the engine compartment.

About the wire plug, I replaced the truck male one for the same reason than yours (corroded and almost cut wires), same as for the module itself (bran new one). I bought the two at NAPA, was very satisfied, same as original.

Followed the wiring diagram colours codes for the truck male plug, and… nothing, no start. Examining the original plug, I discovered that I had to reverse the position of two wires to reproduce the original condition, in full disregard of the diagram. Mystery. Nothing to see with NAPA plug, the truck simply does not respect the diagram colours codes.

You may have missed something in the wiring diagram. :nabble_smiley_wink:

1985-etm-page271.thumb.jpg.8fd5e2cd200d27dc5a0f43a0f6e1debe.jpg

You may have missed something in the wiring diagram. :nabble_smiley_wink:

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

You are absolutely right! I used another diagram (from the Haynes Manual), which I now realize is wrong.

BTW, I had to use the 1980 diagram, since the 1984 to 1986 one does absolutely not match BigBrother's wiring.

Hayes.jpg.fc867b0ddc40beefe092e2ffa271b1ef.jpg

Here are the original diagram and my coloured notes:

IMG_1704.jpg.6f16341162316de83907a14d4c8b74d1.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg.a5f7983332d6287d2f61fb2e07fccfb2.jpg

The new male plugs:

IMG_0624.jpg.f1234881e88dbc59c0da6db6248d2633.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg.c167e651b603f39b44fa318ef2db037b.jpg

You are absolutely right! I used another diagram (from the Haynes Manual), which I now realize is wrong.

BTW, I had to use the 1980 diagram, since the 1984 to 1986 one does absolutely not match BigBrother's wiring.

The new male plugs:

Many aftermarket manuals are very poor on wiring diagrams, and not just on Fords.

Once you get things where you want them, do a proper splice on the wires, those crimp on connectors will get wet and the wires will corrode.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gif

The new male plugs:

I don't use Chiltons, Clymers, or Hanes for anything but filling my shelves. They look good there, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole for anything but general information.

Decades ago I was rebuilding my brother's 903 Kawi using one of those pub's. Was torquing a cam bearing bolt into the aluminum head and it got "greasy" before getting anywhere near the stated torque. I stopped and found the factory spec, which was MUCH lower than theirs.

So I swore off the aftermarket books. Instead I use factory publications as they have some serious skin in the game. Imagine what would happen if the factory told every tech in the world the wrong torque spec? Man, that would be costly!

But I'm not saying that factory pub's are infallible. I've found errors in Ford's pub's, but I believe there are far fewer of them than in the aftermarket pubs.

As for DS-II wiring, it didn't change. Compare it in the 1981 EVTM to the 1986 EVTM and the is no difference.

Chiltons.thumb.jpg.3a583e7ce9bbfb7a60e6c2059c6386c2.jpg

[...] those crimp on connectors will get wet and the wires will corrode.

I use the waterproof heat-shrinkable connectors everywhere, even inside the cabin. Expensive, but I never had corrosion problem with these. I prefer this method more than the heat shrink sleeves.

Maybe just a matter of taste?

1.jpg.94d9dcc2291c23e4de72e5b357e3911c.jpg

2.jpg.6fcbe5046ae4621c8a45dfd13ae54cc0.jpg

In all cases, no place for electric tape on my wiring!

3.jpg.ab83ca9847c7d42d9eab069d8af23f13.jpg

I don't use Chiltons, Clymers, or Hanes for anything but filling my shelves.

Good advice Gary, I'll remember that!

:nabble_anim_handshake: