Bullnose Forums

Tires & RPM Help

Since I got home, although I really don't notice much change in clutch feel getting it rolling unloaded. City mileage has stayed the same- I expected a bit of drop with the increase in contact patch and resistance. Highway has seen roughly a 10% improvement in mean MPG, and I hope to see a bit more all things equal when spring sees the return of the better gas.

10% is nothing to sneeze at. That's a decent improvement in my books.

Since I got home, although I really don't notice much change in clutch feel getting it rolling unloaded. City mileage has stayed the same- I expected a bit of drop with the increase in contact patch and resistance. Highway has seen roughly a 10% improvement in mean MPG, and I hope to see a bit more all things equal when spring sees the return of the better gas.

10% is nothing to sneeze at. That's a decent improvement in my books.

I was surprised to see how much of an affect it has in that 55-65 MPH range. Although there's likely an influence of simply having new tread, too.

I figured I'd come back to close the circle on the topic:

I got lucky and picked up a set of brand new "take-offs" from a local shop with less than 100 miles on them: 31x10.5x15 mud and snow tires with a mild tread.

On the long trip, it was hard to gauge their affect on mileage given the load in the bed and the winter formulation of gasoline that hits CA and NV in Oct & Nov, but the immediate noise & vibration improvement in the ~300 RPM reduction was a pleasure, especially at the 55-70MPH range. Although the speed limit hits 85 on some parts of the long loop up to the panhandle and western MT, I'm usually in the left lane with the big rigs at an easier pace.

The only other variable I can account for is an oil change back to 10w30 (Rotella T5) from full-dino 10w40. However, given the mild CA weather this fall, I'm not sure that can account for any appreciable difference in the improvement percentage.

Overall, a worthwhile improvement over the 28" tires for me.

Good report. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm sure you've accounted for the fact that you are going ~10% further each revolution in your calc's - right?

As for "I'm usually in the left lane with the big rigs at an easier pace", is that the Limey showing through?

Good report. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm sure you've accounted for the fact that you are going ~10% further each revolution in your calc's - right?

As for "I'm usually in the left lane with the big rigs at an easier pace", is that the Limey showing through?

Is that why there were so many people around me cursing?

And here I thought they were waving their fists in blue oval solidarity...

Yes, intuitively I figured that once I had the girl rolling, the distance per revolution would have an effect, but I also figured the extra inch and half in height and increased contact patch would create enough resistance to mitigate the gains.

I'm often wrong, but in this case, happy to be.

Is that why there were so many people around me cursing?

And here I thought they were waving their fists in blue oval solidarity...

Yes, intuitively I figured that once I had the girl rolling, the distance per revolution would have an effect, but I also figured the extra inch and half in height and increased contact patch would create enough resistance to mitigate the gains.

I'm often wrong, but in this case, happy to be.

:nabble_anim_claps: