Bullnose Forums

Step Bars

New_Shoes_1_(2).thumb.jpg.668faccfbc933eb49c3989d7f9c267ad.jpg

Looking for advise on step bars? Since I've put bigger tires on the truck, my short legged body struggles to get in it without pulling on the steering wheel. Seriously thinking about step bars. Don't want hoops or running board. Don't want them to protrude too far out and prefer bolt in without drilling if possible. Also, want a subdued look so will be going with black, preferably powder coated.

If you've put these on your truck, I'd sure like to see pictures. Suggestions and recommendations please?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the ones I put on my 81.

IMG_3155.jpg.351e0b01c5bdf8ea45049f3067338468.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg.46e9bc997a78de807f455d0f3f421a2f.jpg

They are from LMC. About $270 or so if I recall correctly. Their height is probably not very representational, I ended up fabbing up a bunch of bracketry to mount them, and I mounted them a couple inches lower than where it looked like they were going to land. The reasons for that were twofold.

First, it did not make much sense to me to have to step up 18 inches to get into a truck whose floor was 21 inches up, so I tried to split the difference a little more.

Second, (and the reason for fabbing the bracketry) the instructions were very poor, Ikea-style ideograms that were not clear, either in my mind or on the paper they were printed on. I could not see how they could fit on my truck. I think there are some fundamental differences between the flaresides and the fleetsides in the area where these would mount, and they basically don't work with flaresides (if there was a warning on the LMC site, I completely missed it). That would not apply to your truck, of course.

Anyhow, as far as the bars themselves go, I'm happy with them and they seem fairly tough and scuff-resistant.

Here are the ones I put on my 81.

They are from LMC. About $270 or so if I recall correctly. Their height is probably not very representational, I ended up fabbing up a bunch of bracketry to mount them, and I mounted them a couple inches lower than where it looked like they were going to land. The reasons for that were twofold.

First, it did not make much sense to me to have to step up 18 inches to get into a truck whose floor was 21 inches up, so I tried to split the difference a little more.

Second, (and the reason for fabbing the bracketry) the instructions were very poor, Ikea-style ideograms that were not clear, either in my mind or on the paper they were printed on. I could not see how they could fit on my truck. I think there are some fundamental differences between the flaresides and the fleetsides in the area where these would mount, and they basically don't work with flaresides (if there was a warning on the LMC site, I completely missed it). That would not apply to your truck, of course.

Anyhow, as far as the bars themselves go, I'm happy with them and they seem fairly tough and scuff-resistant.

Thank you, Pete! Thanks for taking the time to explain and illustrate with your pictures.

I've been all over the web and I keep going back to a Dee Zee brand I've found on Amazon. Apparently they do require some drilling and I don't like the Dee Zee logo on the foot pad. What I do like about them is that I can tuck them in a little more under the truck, as I don't really want them sticking out too far. This will require cutting them but I'm good with that.

https://www.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-DZ3700301-Round-Universal/dp/B000CJ1ZR6/ref=psdc_15736631_t3_B009FNWQLE

Thank you, Pete! Thanks for taking the time to explain and illustrate with your pictures.

I've been all over the web and I keep going back to a Dee Zee brand I've found on Amazon. Apparently they do require some drilling and I don't like the Dee Zee logo on the foot pad. What I do like about them is that I can tuck them in a little more under the truck, as I don't really want them sticking out too far. This will require cutting them but I'm good with that.

https://www.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-DZ3700301-Round-Universal/dp/B000CJ1ZR6/ref=psdc_15736631_t3_B009FNWQLE

I can't remember the brand I have, but I bought them used and made brackets for them. (And then remade the brackets again after Colorado.) I really like them, but I can't recommend them due to the need to make brackets.

I can't remember the brand I have, but I bought them used and made brackets for them. (And then remade the brackets again after Colorado.) I really like them, but I can't recommend them due to the need to make brackets.

I bought these Westin 23-0530's off eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164322116674

step-bars.jpeg.e4343504a23c585e9689e265a4642b0c.jpeg

Those were for an '81 F-250 but it fits a wide range so it might fit yours. One thing I liked about this it was it was a bolt-on - no drilling or other mods. They use two existing factory bolt holes and bolts (with threaded couplers).

No matter what you get I'd agree it makes a huge difference on getting in!

I think you need to design some motorized retractable ones :nabble_smiley_good:

Have you thought about the slide out version that was available for these trucks? They are a little 'different' and not sure if more a novelty but they show up on ebay every now and then. Trade steering wheel wear for door hinge wear...

https://www.amp-research.com/powersteps

I'm thinking I want more of an old school look. I'll bring them up a little and tuck them in with just enough space to get a foot on.

Don't you have a set on your truck, Scott?

I'm thinking I want more of an old school look. I'll bring them up a little and tuck them in with just enough space to get a foot on.

Don't you have a set on your truck, Scott?

Mine are Westin Platinum Series. (Just went to look - and I think I'm going to melt.) And now I'm getting a text. Hang on, texter...