Bullnose Forums

1986 Flareside 4x4 Oregon

Nice truck and, from what little can be seen in the pics, it is well worth the money.

But I doubt it is a 5.8L. At least it didn’t come with a 5.8 and an AOD, nor 5.8 and EFI. However, it is possible that someone put a 5.8 in place of a 5.0.

But in that case the original intake manifold wouldn’t have fit, and it looks like it is the original. And the AOD may not live long.

So I’m betting it is the 5.0.

Nice truck and, from what little can be seen in the pics, it is well worth the money.

But I doubt it is a 5.8L. At least it didn’t come with a 5.8 and an AOD, nor 5.8 and EFI. However, it is possible that someone put a 5.8 in place of a 5.0.

But in that case the original intake manifold wouldn’t have fit, and it looks like it is the original. And the AOD may not live long.

I didn’t think that Ford put the AOD behind a 351, but wasn’t sure.

I didn’t think that Ford put the AOD behind a 351, but wasn’t sure.

Ford did pair the AOD with a 5.8/351 in the Crown Victoria police cars.

I suspect the reason why the AOD wasn't used with the 5.8/351 in the F-Series line is because of the likelihood that it would be used for towing. An AOD can handle towing duties just fine - as long as you do not use the overdrive band. Doing so is what killed many AODs.

But you can't expect anyone to actually read the owner's manual.

It certainly looks like a 302. That's a 5.0 upper intake. The 351 EFI upper intake had the Ford oval and a big "5.8" in the middle. The 5.8 would also have different intake ducting, and it would have been serpentine belt, etc. As far as I know (and Rick may correct me here) but I'm pretty sure that the 5.0 upper intake does not work with the 5.8 EFI lower intake...at least not well. They may bolt together, but the ports are quite a bit different.

I'd say it's got the stock 5.0 in it, with an AOD, and more than likely a 3.55 geared 8.8 rear diff!

It certainly looks like a 302. That's a 5.0 upper intake. The 351 EFI upper intake had the Ford oval and a big "5.8" in the middle. The 5.8 would also have different intake ducting, and it would have been serpentine belt, etc. As far as I know (and Rick may correct me here) but I'm pretty sure that the 5.0 upper intake does not work with the 5.8 EFI lower intake...at least not well. They may bolt together, but the ports are quite a bit different.

I'd say it's got the stock 5.0 in it, with an AOD, and more than likely a 3.55 geared 8.8 rear diff!

Thanks. That pretty well confirms what I was thinking.