Bullnose Forum

Starter motor teeth wearing out

Paulco

Hello

I keep having the same issue about every 6 to 9 months. I am on my 3rd Starter motor and they all have the same issue. Eventually the starter motor just spins and does not connect to the fly wheel, I can usually turn the engine manually and get a connection but even that after a while stops working.

The truck is 1981 F150 4x4 302 V8 short bed with automatic transmission. This is the info I use when ordering a starter motor but maybe I am missing something.

When I look at the starter motors I see the front of the teeth are worn as if the whole gear cog on the starter does not engage the flywheel fully.

The battery and solenoid are about 2 years old.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Paul

Two questions:

1. What condition is the flexplate in? The teeth on mine were pretty chewed up... while I had my engine out I replaced it.

2. You're on the stock type of starter... that is, a one wire (moving pole) starter, not a PMGR with a separate solenoid wire?

The original Moving-pole type starters can be rough on starter teeth as the motor spins while the gear is slid into place (or so I've read). The PMGR of the 1990's fixed this among other improvements (faster cranking, less battery demand, etc.)... one reason why it's a common swap (other than replacing the starter for the newer unit, all one does is move the existing starter cable to battery hot, and add a 12 gauge wire from the solenoid output to the motor's solenoid).

Two questions:

1. What condition is the flexplate in? The teeth on mine were pretty chewed up... while I had my engine out I replaced it.

2. You're on the stock type of starter... that is, a one wire (moving pole) starter, not a PMGR with a separate solenoid wire?

The original Moving-pole type starters can be rough on starter teeth as the motor spins while the gear is slid into place (or so I've read). The PMGR of the 1990's fixed this among other improvements (faster cranking, less battery demand, etc.)... one reason why it's a common swap (other than replacing the starter for the newer unit, all one does is move the existing starter cable to battery hot, and add a 12 gauge wire from the solenoid output to the motor's solenoid).

Not sure about the condition of the flex plate. The starter motor is the stock type with a moving pole, where can I purchase a PMGR?

I assume there is a specific model for my truck.

Not sure about the condition of the flex plate. The starter motor is the stock type with a moving pole, where can I purchase a PMGR?

I assume there is a specific model for my truck.

Any 1990+ 5.0 or 4.9 Automatic will do. The one I installed on my 4.9 came off a 1994 5.0 F150 (If I remember the eBay listing correct).

Not quite. Go to Documentation/Electrical/PMGR Starter Wiring for the minor change that is needed.

Thanks, I reviewed the wiring. Below is a picture of the starter I purchased, do you know how the black wire in the picture should be connected?

IMG_3402.jpg.948a1b1cff6171fd910058b8905001ef.jpg

The orange label says 'DO NOT REMOVE, attach to existing lead'.

Thanks, I reviewed the wiring. Below is a picture of the starter I purchased, do you know how the black wire in the picture should be connected?

The orange label says 'DO NOT REMOVE, attach to existing lead'.

That appears to be the solenoid wire... that's where the "new" wire is supposed to connect. IMO it's best to pitch that pigtail.