Bullnose Forums

1982 F250 4x4 351W auto

Wagoneermaster

Looking good! But that old gas looks baaaaad. Glad you replaced it.

Here's :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig: hoping your startup going wonderfully. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hi guys,

It has been a while..... I got the engine all re-assembled again. I had some difficulties to get it started. I had to adjust the distributor more than once to get it running. First attempts some back firing. Re-adjusted the distributor (jump one tooth) and finally got it started. But the engine ran bad. I mean really bad. Double checked timing and firing order. That seemed to be okay.

Today, I dusted off an old engine analyser, that I have had for more than 30 years. It is a Sun Pro unit. I checked the coil secondary voltage for each cylinder. Than, I noticed some strange behaviour: some cylinders were about 6 kV's and some were about 4 kV's.

The firing order for the 351W is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Cylinders 3,7,5 and 4 were low (4 kV). All others were high. This and the poor / rough idling got me thinking. I compared the firing order of the 351w with the 302. Some cylinders are in the same sequence and some or not. The 302 has a firing order of 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. After looking closely at some photos I took from the car when I just bought is, I found some evidence that the plug wires were not connected in the 351w order. I decided to change the firing order to the 302 sequence. And voila, engine run waaaaaay better :). On the block, you can clearly see "351W"stamped under the intake manifold. Also, the distributor is located lower than the intake manifold, which also indicated that this is a 351w block. Apparently, the previous owner swapped the cam shaft for a 302 cam shaft...

I do need to take a closer look at cylinder #7, cause that one is not contributing to the bunch.

However, has anyone of you see such a thing??

Hi guys,

It has been a while..... I got the engine all re-assembled again. I had some difficulties to get it started. I had to adjust the distributor more than once to get it running. First attempts some back firing. Re-adjusted the distributor (jump one tooth) and finally got it started. But the engine ran bad. I mean really bad. Double checked timing and firing order. That seemed to be okay.

Today, I dusted off an old engine analyser, that I have had for more than 30 years. It is a Sun Pro unit. I checked the coil secondary voltage for each cylinder. Than, I noticed some strange behaviour: some cylinders were about 6 kV's and some were about 4 kV's.

The firing order for the 351W is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Cylinders 3,7,5 and 4 were low (4 kV). All others were high. This and the poor / rough idling got me thinking. I compared the firing order of the 351w with the 302. Some cylinders are in the same sequence and some or not. The 302 has a firing order of 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. After looking closely at some photos I took from the car when I just bought is, I found some evidence that the plug wires were not connected in the 351w order. I decided to change the firing order to the 302 sequence. And voila, engine run waaaaaay better :). On the block, you can clearly see "351W"stamped under the intake manifold. Also, the distributor is located lower than the intake manifold, which also indicated that this is a 351w block. Apparently, the previous owner swapped the cam shaft for a 302 cam shaft...

I do need to take a closer look at cylinder #7, cause that one is not contributing to the bunch.

However, has anyone of you see such a thing??

IIRC, there are some 351 cams with the 302 firing order.

ETA: Good job figuring that out!