Bullnose Forums

Where To Put Scanned Documents?

Guys, I have a philosophy question for you: Where should we put scanned documents?

Basically I see two options:

1. Tabbed: In this approach I can put several documents with similar content on one page. For instance, I have two or three booklets on how engines operate, and could put them on the same page.

Standalone Page: With this approach each document/booklet would be on its own page. Perhaps the documents with similar content could be grouped under one heading in the menu. For instance we could have a page on Engine Operation and then have two pages under that for the two booklets.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each, of course. In the tabbed approach an advantage is that it is easy to find the documents once you find the page, and you can read all of the documents we have on that topic with ease. But there are at least two disadvantages: First, in our spreadsheet showing what documentation we have (Manuals & Literature) I can only put a link to the page, not the tab, so when you click the link you are on the page but still have to find the tab. Second, tabbed content will not be found via a Google search. So those documents are effectively hidden.

In the by-page approach I will have the ability to put a link directly to the document in the spreadsheet, which is effectively our library's card catalog. And that document will sorta be found via a Google search if I put some text up top that 'splains what's in the document. But the disadvantage is that this approach ups the number of pages we have, and all of those pages add to the complexity of the menu.

Thoughts, please?

First gut reaction says "tabbed" as that is the old school way we found things. Standalone is probably the way to go due to search engines being the modern way and many younger enthusiasts are used to that method.

At 57, I suppose I qualify for the "young" category...

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Reading at the desription Gary made, I would go for the separated document way, "modern" search engines enabled.

But who am I to influence the library structure?

:nabble_smiley_blush:

At 57, I suppose I qualify for the "young" category...

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Reading at the desription Gary made, I would go for the separated document way, "modern" search engines enabled.

But who am I to influence the library structure?

:nabble_smiley_blush:

Thanks, guys. I'm not ready to add anything so will wait to see what others have to say before doing that.

Everyone, please let me know what you think. :nabble_waving_orig:

Thanks, guys. I'm not ready to add anything so will wait to see what others have to say before doing that.

Everyone, please let me know what you think. :nabble_waving_orig:

I would say tabbed if there is more info in the tab, instead of going back and forth, if I’m understanding this correctly.

And I always think you should do what’s easiest for you.

I would say tabbed if there is more info in the tab, instead of going back and forth, if I’m understanding this correctly.

And I always think you should do what’s easiest for you.

First of all, I am already very happy with the information that is available at this moment. I would say tabbed would indeed safe some time in getting the information.

Gary, I *think I would favor the single page approach. This is how you have done the manuals/brochures right? The main thing is that it has to be easy to peruse the contents for those who do not know what all is available. The tabs help facilitate this, but I think a page of links would serve a similar function while affording the benefits that you mentioned for single pages.

Gary, I *think I would favor the single page approach. This is how you have done the manuals/brochures right? The main thing is that it has to be easy to peruse the contents for those who do not know what all is available. The tabs help facilitate this, but I think a page of links would serve a similar function while affording the benefits that you mentioned for single pages.

Ok guys, I've been reading the mail and appreciate all of the input. And I think I've come to a conclusion on how I'd like to do it.

I want to use individual pages, but in sections when there are related documents. And those case the pages will have a small menu with links to allow you to go between related documents - sorta like shown below.

I think this approach will accomplish both goals - make the documents available via a Google search, and allow you to move around to see the other documents. And while it is more difficult for me, it is only marginally more difficult. And I think the benefits will be worth it.

Thoughts?

Page_With_Links.thumb.jpg.eb66acf0c81df560a0f4ab39ff8bd11f.jpg

Ok guys, I've been reading the mail and appreciate all of the input. And I think I've come to a conclusion on how I'd like to do it.

I want to use individual pages, but in sections when there are related documents. And those case the pages will have a small menu with links to allow you to go between related documents - sorta like shown below.

I think this approach will accomplish both goals - make the documents available via a Google search, and allow you to move around to see the other documents. And while it is more difficult for me, it is only marginally more difficult. And I think the benefits will be worth it.

Thoughts?

I like it Gary. :nabble_anim_handshake: