Bullnose Forums

Minor Re-org - Input Requested

If we rename "Fuel & Air Systems" to "Carburetion & Fuel Injection" where would we put the air intake stuff? I hadn't thought about how renaming would exclude air intake, but it does seem to do so. On the other hand, "Fuel & Air Systems" seems to exclude the electrical side of things, and starting with the feedback systems there sure is a lot of electrical in there.

Perhaps we should just leave it as "Fuel & Air Systems" since they really do incorporate a lot of electrical things?

Or, as you pointed out, "Engine Management" has evolved from points and carbs to full-on systems that do everything, inc the throttle. So maybe it should be "Engine Management" and we include Ignition?

We can always put a page or a link from Documentation/Electrical/Ignition to Documentation/Engine Management/Ignition, or vice versa.

Gary, that sounds like a plan, those of us who grew up with dual point distributors, many different carburetor makes and styles think differently than the younger generations. My son, Matt, does understand them, not because he is 44 but because his first car was a 1965 Corsa 140, Delco distributor and 4 Rochester model H carbs. A few of his friends do also.

I would dare say that other than a few into old cars, most millennials are clueless when first confronted with an older vehicle (just look at some of the comments on Facebook). Engine management is what they would look for concerning fuel and ignition systems.

Gary, that sounds like a plan, those of us who grew up with dual point distributors, many different carburetor makes and styles think differently than the younger generations. My son, Matt, does understand them, not because he is 44 but because his first car was a 1965 Corsa 140, Delco distributor and 4 Rochester model H carbs. A few of his friends do also.

I would dare say that other than a few into old cars, most millennials are clueless when first confronted with an older vehicle (just look at some of the comments on Facebook). Engine management is what they would look for concerning fuel and ignition systems.

We might could say something like "Engine Management (Carb's, EFI, etc.).

As for the younger generation, even my son has gotten used to drive-by-wire where there's effectively no throttle return spring. On Big Blue with the carb I had two such springs as I was trying to get a consistent idle speed, and never did, and when he first tried to drive it he couldn't depress the throttle. Thought it was broken.

We might could say something like "Engine Management (Carb's, EFI, etc.).

As for the younger generation, even my son has gotten used to drive-by-wire where there's effectively no throttle return spring. On Big Blue with the carb I had two such springs as I was trying to get a consistent idle speed, and never did, and when he first tried to drive it he couldn't depress the throttle. Thought it was broken.

Sounds good to me. Then you still have emission systems as a separate section.

Sounds good to me. Then you still have emission systems as a separate section.

Chris - I missed your post, but Cold Starting Procedures are shown as part of Chokes under Carburetion. Basically all that video talks about is carbs and chokes thereupon, so it seemed like I could combine them on one page. Yes?

Bill - Good point. Should Emissions Systems still be separate? The early emissions systems, like thermactor, weren't electronic, but as soon as EEC came along it became part of that, as did EGR and vapor venting. So it seems like that is a fit as well. Yes?

Right now we only have two entries in Emissions Systems - Inferred Mileage and Thermactor. But I have the book on order that I'll scan and put on the site, and it needs to be part of Emissions Systems.

Chris - I missed your post, but Cold Starting Procedures are shown as part of Chokes under Carburetion. Basically all that video talks about is carbs and chokes thereupon, so it seemed like I could combine them on one page. Yes?

Bill - Good point. Should Emissions Systems still be separate? The early emissions systems, like thermactor, weren't electronic, but as soon as EEC came along it became part of that, as did EGR and vapor venting. So it seems like that is a fit as well. Yes?

Right now we only have two entries in Emissions Systems - Inferred Mileage and Thermactor. But I have the book on order that I'll scan and put on the site, and it needs to be part of Emissions Systems.

I think once the mechanical emission systems are defined, you can direct people to the EEC systems for later models. The Bullnose trucks are essentially one of the larger change models in Ford's trucks. 1980 everything was pretty simple mechanical control on emissions, by 1986 computer control of the emission system was well on it's way.

Somehow I missed that, sorry! No other comments from me, looks good. Thanks for all your work on this.