Bullnose Forum

Backwards problem - it starts but I can't shut it off with the key!

Hi again Gary. Here's what I know about this F100: On the air cleaner box it says date of manufacture was July 1986. It seems the truck (or cab/chassis) was at least partially assemble in Australia (I vaguely recall someone once said these motors were made in Canada - no idea if true). One of the regular stumbling blocks has been that I have yet to find a set of wiring diagrams which truly reflect the colour scheme in my harnesses. The nearest I have got to this is a set which is meant to cover 1984-1986 F-Series/Bronco by Haynes. I suspect that Ford Australia supplied the harnesses, using their own colour schemes and switch components (Bosch Australia is stamped on most electrical components from memory). What I have been doing so far is using a mixture of clues from the Haynes manual, from tracing wires on the original harnesses, from diagrams such as the ones you originally posted to help me, and now I have Kwikwire's scheme plus the new EFI harness I made using colours as close as I could source here. I do plan to draw up a set of wiring diagrams to describe what I have done, for the times when understanding what is what becomes necessary. Wish me luck!

I'll take a photo of the dash cluster and post it to you - there's a +/- gauge to show charging/discharging and a charge light.

The alternator is a two wire one with internal regulation - so, the B+ connector and the exciter connector.

Right now, I think we'll be connecting the bulbs and the cluster into the harness, in part to make sure the oil pressure is ok and to monitor temperature, but also to hopefully solve this won't stop issue.

I will post again once we've done this :)

And I thought Big Blue's wiring is getting complicated! At least it uses Ford color coding. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, if the diode works and you are going with the lights then I think you have it well in hand. Good luck!