Bullnose Forums

Edelbrock Pro Flo (Actual user and installer feedback)

Thread revival...Long time lurker and infrequent poster here...mainly because our (project with my son) bronco has been laid up for years with a myriad of electrical problems and no priority to fix it. Fast forward to now, we've given up on getting the wiring and the original (but modified to fiveology racing sequential/maf style efi) stuff working and took the dive into the pro flo 4.

I *think* I've got everything (which means I do not) and we've started removing all the older - but still newer kit - like the edelbrock performer truck intake, bbk throttle body and a bucketload of problems that I'd sink in the middle of lake hartwell if it wasn't illegal.

No idea what many of the electrical thingamabobs are under the hood, but removing the old harness to the eec and the eec gave me great joy. I'm sure that will be short lived when I go trying to figure out why it won't start, but for now it feels like a win.

We've owned this truck for 6 years...and ran like a beast for 1 of them. It's ready to get moving again and this (and many other) threads on this system have inspired some confidence that this system was a good choice!

@nickelback any further insights on the return line for the fuel and the fuel pump wiring?

This sounds like a plan, and a good one at that. Going with a complete system should solve a lot of problems.

But don't sink that stuff in the lake as someone out there will want it. The BBK throttle body is a nice piece as I put one on Big Blue and plan to put one on Dad's truck. And I had to look for a bit to find the EEC mount that I put in Big Blue and will need one like for Dad's truck. And the fuel rail is probably the same I'll use as I'm going with a Trick Flow intake that has the small block injector spacing. So you have useful stuff!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a plan, and a good one at that. Going with a complete system should solve a lot of problems.

But don't sink that stuff in the lake as someone out there will want it. The BBK throttle body is a nice piece as I put one on Big Blue and plan to put one on Dad's truck. And I had to look for a bit to find the EEC mount that I put in Big Blue and will need one like for Dad's truck. And the fuel rail is probably the same I'll use as I'm going with a Trick Flow intake that has the small block injector spacing. So you have useful stuff!

The easy way:

Replace your instrument cluster with one that can interpret the CAN bus signals directly from the Pro Flo, like the Dakota Digital. Pull out the entire harness from the original ECU through the firewall and give it to someone who needs it. Run 3-4 wires to connect to your sensors on the engine and run your Pro Flo harness through the firewall so the Edelbrock ECU sits where the old one was.

Install a 1996 fuel tank and hanger/pump (find the one with the most powerful pump). Use the Pro Flo 4 specific fuel pressure regulator that mounts to the rail (use the one with the proper pressure for your engine build). Run fuel and return lines directly to the rails. Buy a fuel pump harness and wire on the pigtail for the 1996 sender. Run fuel pump wires through the Pro Flo harness.

Get an aftermarket throttle cable. Enjoy.

The easy way:

Replace your instrument cluster with one that can interpret the CAN bus signals directly from the Pro Flo, like the Dakota Digital. Pull out the entire harness from the original ECU through the firewall and give it to someone who needs it. Run 3-4 wires to connect to your sensors on the engine and run your Pro Flo harness through the firewall so the Edelbrock ECU sits where the old one was.

Install a 1996 fuel tank and hanger/pump (find the one with the most powerful pump). Use the Pro Flo 4 specific fuel pressure regulator that mounts to the rail (use the one with the proper pressure for your engine build). Run fuel and return lines directly to the rails. Buy a fuel pump harness and wire on the pigtail for the 1996 sender. Run fuel pump wires through the Pro Flo harness.

Get an aftermarket throttle cable. Enjoy.

A couple of notes, on the Ford in-tank pumps, there are two variants, 1985.5-1989 use a low pressure in-tank pump or pumps, a frame mounted reservoir and on dual tanks selector valves. 1990-96/7 the in-tank pump(s) are high pressure (up to 60 psi on 6cyl models) and the selector valves for the fuel supply and return are part of the FDMs (Fuel Delivery Modules) and due to a cross fueling issue there is a TSB that involves adding an external check valve in the fuel supply line to prevent cross fueling.

FWIW, the tank vent lines on the older trucks (Bullnose) are 3/16" tube and on dual tanks are simply teed together, later (1990 up) are larger, but still teed together, however, even the 460s with the hot fuel handling package had a 6 port fuel tank selector valve on the frame next to the front tank that controls the source and return routing of the fuel to the engine.

Second note, does the Edelbrock Pro Flo have any provision to either control or interface with a controller for a 4R70/75W or E4OD transmission. Both of these are computer controlled and will not work without a computer, not only do they go into limp mode, but to prevent damage do so at max pressure.

I am playing devil's advocate here, and asking the questions I had in doing the EFI conversion on Darth nearly 12 years ago. At that time bolt on TBI systems were what you could get as a bolt on, not a port injection and you needed a second computer to run the transmission. My cost at that point was over $3000 to go aftermarket after buying the $845 parts truck to get the mechanical parts needed to go to EFI and an E4OD. I actually did run Darth as a bank fired speed density (MAP sensor) system for a while until I had everything in hand to go to MAF/SEFI.

A couple of notes, on the Ford in-tank pumps, there are two variants, 1985.5-1989 use a low pressure in-tank pump or pumps, a frame mounted reservoir and on dual tanks selector valves. 1990-96/7 the in-tank pump(s) are high pressure (up to 60 psi on 6cyl models) and the selector valves for the fuel supply and return are part of the FDMs (Fuel Delivery Modules) and due to a cross fueling issue there is a TSB that involves adding an external check valve in the fuel supply line to prevent cross fueling.

FWIW, the tank vent lines on the older trucks (Bullnose) are 3/16" tube and on dual tanks are simply teed together, later (1990 up) are larger, but still teed together, however, even the 460s with the hot fuel handling package had a 6 port fuel tank selector valve on the frame next to the front tank that controls the source and return routing of the fuel to the engine.

Second note, does the Edelbrock Pro Flo have any provision to either control or interface with a controller for a 4R70/75W or E4OD transmission. Both of these are computer controlled and will not work without a computer, not only do they go into limp mode, but to prevent damage do so at max pressure.

I am playing devil's advocate here, and asking the questions I had in doing the EFI conversion on Darth nearly 12 years ago. At that time bolt on TBI systems were what you could get as a bolt on, not a port injection and you needed a second computer to run the transmission. My cost at that point was over $3000 to go aftermarket after buying the $845 parts truck to get the mechanical parts needed to go to EFI and an E4OD. I actually did run Darth as a bank fired speed density (MAP sensor) system for a while until I had everything in hand to go to MAF/SEFI.

Yes, there are options for a transmission controller, like this one for example.

Yes, there are options for a transmission controller, like this one for example.

Great info all, thank you.

AOD, so I've got a new lokar kickdown cable and bracketry for the proflo 4 to get that set right

Lokar throttle cable (cut to fit)

Lokar cruise control cable is backordered, but no big deal

Back when it was running, we replaced the dash gauges with a classic dash binnacle with autometer sport comp electric gauges with gps speedo. no canbus, but all the sensors work etc.

When we did the fiveology racing EFI conversion a few years ago we put a new pump on the frame, so I got a new regulator to plumb in. the ford compression fittings on the fuel lines had to be cut off...so that will be fun.

Harness is fully out, but there are all sorts of connectors dangling around in places that I have no idea what they are. Will figure it out...most of them are likely irrelevant to getting it running. Amazing how much cleaner the engine bay is without all that stuff.

sidebar:

Things I'll have available, in the hartwell ga or roswell ga area

2 wiring harnesses from an 86 -both are in questionable condition (there's no question, they are knackered)

2 ECC-IV's, one with a programmable tuned chip

a 3rd NOS 87 wiring harness that I bought out of hope and frustration

Edelbrock performer intake

BBK throttle body

all the air filter boxes/hoses

random other under hood stuff

fuel rail, with, IIRC 36lb injectors

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Y48wXvA7Sa3kYmD8

I had not seen this EDL-17401 fuel pressure regulator...I'll order this one and return whichever one doesn't work, but this one looks much more suited to the issue at hand. Thanks for the tip!

They've come way down in price. The Baumann units were around $1500 12 years ago. That was when I bought a Bronco EEC-IV box for 5.0L/E4OD. It was after trying to get some sort of idea what I would need to get my shift points where I wanted them (no need to buzz a 460 up like a 302) that Core Tuning contacted me on EEC-Tuning.org (no longer around) and offered me a great package using an EEC-V box so I could run an MAF/SEFI system.

They've come way down in price. The Baumann units were around $1500 12 years ago. That was when I bought a Bronco EEC-IV box for 5.0L/E4OD. It was after trying to get some sort of idea what I would need to get my shift points where I wanted them (no need to buzz a 460 up like a 302) that Core Tuning contacted me on EEC-Tuning.org (no longer around) and offered me a great package using an EEC-V box so I could run an MAF/SEFI system.

I ended up using the stock fuel pumps for now, with the edelbrock fuel pressure regulator handling regulation and return line. Nothing rearward of my front fuel pump has changed.

You shouldn't need to keep any of the original engine harness if your ECU was only controlling the engine and had nothing to do with the transmission.

I also just installed a baumann US Shift Quick4 and swapped my AOD for a 4r70w. This thing has so much power now, with so many fewer problems. I feel foolish trying to keep everything all-original for so long.

I ended up using the stock fuel pumps for now, with the edelbrock fuel pressure regulator handling regulation and return line. Nothing rearward of my front fuel pump has changed.

You shouldn't need to keep any of the original engine harness if your ECU was only controlling the engine and had nothing to do with the transmission.

I also just installed a baumann US Shift Quick4 and swapped my AOD for a 4r70w. This thing has so much power now, with so many fewer problems. I feel foolish trying to keep everything all-original for so long.

Been running it for a year now...Flawless! I put the Bronco away for the winter, and when taking it out of "hibernation" I opened the door, rolled down the window, got out (purposely)reached in and turned the key........fired up instantly! Love not dealing with pumping the gas and messing with a choke!

Been running it for a year now...Flawless! I put the Bronco away for the winter, and when taking it out of "hibernation" I opened the door, rolled down the window, got out (purposely)reached in and turned the key........fired up instantly! Love not dealing with pumping the gas and messing with a choke!

Ditto here. Thing has worked flawlessly. My buddys have had similar experiences.

I really love it. It's the ease and dependability of a modern engine. All those people bitching about not being able to get their aftermarket EFI working must not be using a Pro Flo!