Bullnose Forum

Edelbrock Pro Flo (Actual user and installer feedback)

I am using a Pro Flo 4 on my C8VE 460. I see some random discussions on here and various places about using this particular EFI. I've also seen numerous opinions on all the EFI systems on the internet, so I thought I'd give my independent feedback to anyone considering this system.

For those of you that just need the summary: I really like it, I'd buy it again, I'd recommend it to friends, and I am pleased overall with Edelbrock.

Details: Installation was a breeze. The only issue was setting up the ground for the fuel pump relay. Pay attention better than we did because the ECU controls the ground side of the relay, not the positive side. The instructions say that but it was easy to miss.

The thing fired up the very first time we turned the key. The hardest part was initial setup in the programming. We had a hard time getting the IAC level down via the screw adjustment and the program would turn off every time the IAC droped too low and we would have to start over. Patience, trial and error is what it took. Adjust the screw that they say to adjust and pay close instructions to the setup process and you will get through it eventually. It's one and done so it isn't that big of a deal.

Sensors are integral to the unit but it will only read out to the internal system processor and the tach. If you want to use their interface, I think you need a Dakota Digital dash (maybe?). I just put in extra sensors and ran those to the instruments. You can see the Pro Flo sensor readings directly on the Android app which is pretty cool, but not great for daily driving. There are plenty of places to drop in other sensors so the only downside is the extra wiring that has to go through the firewall.

As with any aftermarket setup, you will need to solve the throttle cable problem. If you don't want to keep your cruise control, you can just switch over to an entirely aftermarket setup. If you want to keep the cruise, you will need to find a way to mount both cables at a very precise distance from the throttle lever (and you will also use the lower throttle attachment ball because the pedal doesn't travel that far).

In regular use, the Pro Flo has been flawless. It starts smoothly every time. It runs well in the cold. It has self programmed without an issue.

In the spirit of full disclosure, though, I want to tell you about my friend Pilly's experience. He helped me with my Pro Flo install (more like I helped him hahaha) and he was so pleased with it that he subsequently installed one on a 351W. The unit which he installed had a bad injector and flooded the cylinder. He had to move the injector around to determine that was the problem and not the ECU. When he contacted Edelbrock for warranty, they wanted the whole kit back, not just the bad injector, which is a huge PITA. Luckily for him, Summit stepped in and let him swap out the injector and dealt with Edelbrock (I love Summit BTW) so he got it working. Unfortunately he had to drain the engine twice and go through a whole bunch of machinations that he shouldn't have had to do because of a quality issue from Edelbrock. I don't think this would discourage me from buying Edelbrock again (no one's perfect), but I did want to share the story.

Also, for anything that you purchase that you want someone to stand behind like a complicated EFI system, I wholeheartedly recommend Summit Racing. They have an amazingly useful website that makes it easy to find the right parts, they have the best return policy of any retailer I know of (with the exception of Costco), they offer free shipping over $100, and they will price match virtually anyone with the part in stock. There is literally no reason to buy this stuff anywhere else unless you are related to one of their competitors.

Thanks for this write-up, it is very timely for me. I have the system sitting on my office floor here, waiting to go in. I have a trip planned for the truck in early May so I will probably wait until after that to begin the install. I'm also debating putting aluminum heads on at that time, although I know that things can get tricky making multiple major changes at once. I might save the heads for the 408 stroker I am planning for the truck.

Anyhow, glad to hear that all went fairly well with your install. A bit concerning about your friend's install, but I also bought from Summit so hopefully they will have my back.

Good review, Chad. Thanks for providing that feedback - both on the EFI system itself as well as on Summit.

We didn't have a place to review Summit on the page at Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum › Marketplace › Vendor Reviews & Ratings. So I added one here. Perhaps you could add a review?

Good review, Chad. Thanks for providing that feedback - both on the EFI system itself as well as on Summit.

We didn't have a place to review Summit on the page at Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum › Marketplace › Vendor Reviews & Ratings. So I added one here. Perhaps you could add a review?

Just ordered the Pro flow for the 302 tonight! I'm also going with the fuel sump-tank system. This allows no mods to the stock '73 Bronco gas tank, no in-tank or external fuel pump.

The sump is fed by the mechanical fuel pump, then the High pressure pump (in the sump) feeds the 8 injectors.:nabble_smiley_happy:

Just ordered the Pro flow for the 302 tonight! I'm also going with the fuel sump-tank system. This allows no mods to the stock '73 Bronco gas tank, no in-tank or external fuel pump.

The sump is fed by the mechanical fuel pump, then the High pressure pump (in the sump) feeds the 8 injectors.:nabble_smiley_happy:

You make a very good point about the sump pump. I think that Edelbrock having that option is a great selling factor. I did not use the sump pump but I researched it at length before deciding what to do.

From what I understand, there are a few things that need to be taken into consideration. First the unit is big. I hadn’t seen it in person but supposedly pictures don’t do it justice. Also, people complain about the lack of suitable mount for it so be prepared to fabricate something.

Lastly, and this still seems to be up for debate, the sump pump unit does have a return. They advertise it as not requiring modifications to your fuel system, but I’m not familiar with any mechanical fuel pump that has a return. So in theory, if you follow the directions, you still need to run a new return line to the tank. What happens if you don’t? Not sure…

You make a very good point about the sump pump. I think that Edelbrock having that option is a great selling factor. I did not use the sump pump but I researched it at length before deciding what to do.

From what I understand, there are a few things that need to be taken into consideration. First the unit is big. I hadn’t seen it in person but supposedly pictures don’t do it justice. Also, people complain about the lack of suitable mount for it so be prepared to fabricate something.

Lastly, and this still seems to be up for debate, the sump pump unit does have a return. They advertise it as not requiring modifications to your fuel system, but I’m not familiar with any mechanical fuel pump that has a return. So in theory, if you follow the directions, you still need to run a new return line to the tank. What happens if you don’t? Not sure…

Edelbrock calls it a "vapor" return line. Since the Bronco has two rubber gas tank connections, the larger of the 2 is the filling pipe, and an individual 1" rubber line as the filler vent, I plan on simply T-ing off the vent line to add the Edelbrock vent. Figured cutting the rubber hose is a crap load safer the drilling or saw-zall cutting a steel tank...

Capture.jpg.c67d787cfc55c8470a6dac4e03c15fcb.jpg

You can see in the install diagram that they want you to route a line from the overflow vent back to the tank. Not sure how that would work with a stock tank and hanger setup or if you'd need to modify.

You can see in the install diagram that they want you to route a line from the overflow vent back to the tank. Not sure how that would work with a stock tank and hanger setup or if you'd need to modify.

Just slicing into the rubber tank line (on the Bronco) not sure on a F-150....

Probably wouldn't hurt to put a check valve on the return line if you are going to link it to the vent.

very glad to hear of a success especially of a system as standard in America as Edelbrock. i did not have the same success two years ago with the same system. i was installing it on a 78 vette and it was a nightmare. total system failure and we got great tech support from Edelbrock and they then too said ship us back the unit. we did. they sent it back to us reprogrammed and it ran differently but equally poor. in regards to summit . they made it right and the customer ended up going with a polished intake and avs2 carb and voila we had a great running vette. I can not say what the issues were. aggravated and tired of waiting customer chose new path and we provided. end of saga. but I know efi is doable. come on . the factories have been doing it for years.