Bullnose Forums

'86 Bronco

cliffhaas

Guys, just a quick update;

I have also replaced the stock cylinder heads and cam with Edelbrock aluminum heads, a 2122 cam and a double roller chain. I now have two very low mileage e7 heads to to add to this lot. I am only keeping this stuff for another couple of weeks and hate the idea of throwing it all away. Please let me know if this is of interest to you.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, just a quick update;

I have also replaced the stock cylinder heads and cam with Edelbrock aluminum heads, a 2122 cam and a double roller chain. I now have two very low mileage e7 heads to to add to this lot. I am only keeping this stuff for another couple of weeks and hate the idea of throwing it all away. Please let me know if this is of interest to you.

So, how does the truck run! :nabble_smiley_good:

So, how does the truck run! :nabble_smiley_good:
The systems are working really well. Fast starts, smooth idle etc. The next step I took was to add the timing control to the system. The setup was easy and the ability to change timing curves on the fly has allowed me to tweak this to a pretty fine point. The cam is the last element to go in and I am just buttoning that up this weekend. I was looking to get more bottom end out of it and thought this would be a fun last step. I will update in the next week or two after I have a couple of miles on the setup. Hopefully this is the last work of any significance under the hood for a while. I would like to get to some interior work ie  new upholstery, door panels and dash pad.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:44 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

--

Cliff Haas

Phone/Text/WhatsApp/Telegram

+1 201 925 0752

The next step I took was to add the timing control to the system. The setup was easy

and the ability to change timing curves on the fly has allowed me to tweak

this to a pretty fine point.

Hey Cliff,

What distributor/ignition are you running, and how are you controlling/changing the ignition curves?

The next step I took was to add the timing control to the system. The setup was easy

and the ability to change timing curves on the fly has allowed me to tweak

this to a pretty fine point.

Hey Cliff,

What distributor/ignition are you running, and how are you controlling/changing the ignition curves?

The ignition is the MAD street fire setup and the distributor is MSD Billet Pro big cap. The timing control is through the Atomic Fuel Injection system and is set or modified through the handheld remote. I have it in the cab so I can read a live data stream as well as make tweaks in real time.

The system can be tricky but I have found that if I reset and allow it to relearn after major changes like new cylinder heads it works as advertised.

Cool! Congrat's. Looking forward to the report on the cam. What are you going with?

I am going with the edelbrock 2122 cam and lifter kit. (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2122). It should provide better torque and operates best at lower RPM's. I should have it in and running by tomorrow.I will update here when I get it done. I appreciate the enthusiasm and interest, Thanks to all.

I am going with the edelbrock 2122 cam and lifter kit. (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2122). It should provide better torque and operates best at lower RPM's. I should have it in and running by tomorrow.I will update here when I get it done. I appreciate the enthusiasm and interest, Thanks to all.

Looks like a good cam for torque. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks like a good cam for torque. :nabble_smiley_good:
I honestly don't know much about cam design and what grinds produce which result but the Edelbrock guys were great to work with when I was looking for something that would do what I said I needed. I want a decent idle, good vacuum for brakes etc and don't want to change the torque converter. On top of that it had to work with their e-street aluminum heads and be suitable for EFI. This is what they suggested. I am hoping for a seat of the pants difference. I have learned a lot with this project and even though I didn't plan to do any motor work at al when I bought this am happy with the experiance so far. I will post a link to a video of it running when I have it done later this weekend. 

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 1:04 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

--

Cliff Haas

Phone/Text/WhatsApp/Telegram

+1 201 925 0752

I'm not a big cam guru, but I've studied the subject quite a bit. And I've come to the conclusion that a cam with not a lot of duration, which minimizes overlap, and slightly more lift than factory is a good way to go for a heavy vehicle like our trucks. And the cam you are using fits that mold. It says the torque is from idle to 5500, and that's perfect.

Big Blue has a very similar Edelbrock cam and it'll put well from idle. I routinely take street corners in 3rd gear, which pulls it down to 500 RPM, and it doesn't care at all. I can't tell any difference in torque at 500, 1000, 1500, or 2000. It just "works".