Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Ranger Lariat Trailer Special

Were the 351 Cleveland's only for the 80 and 81 model years?

The 351M was phased out by early to mid 1982 and replaced by the 351W which is a completely different animal more closely related to the 302. The 400 which is the "more powerful" version of the 351M lasted through 82 and was replaced for 1983 by the 460 V8.

Although not available on pickup trucks in the USA, I do believe the 351 Cleveland was offered in Bullnose trucks over in Australia.

Huh. I did not even know that Bullnose trucks came with a different 351 before seeing the posted ad. I thought it was Windsors all the way through. It's pretty interesting how many engines went into Bullnose trucks. For the first time today I saw one on Instagram with a 400M

The 351M was phased out by early to mid 1982 and replaced by the 351W which is a completely different animal more closely related to the 302. The 400 which is the "more powerful" version of the 351M lasted through 82 and was replaced for 1983 by the 460 V8.

Although not available on pickup trucks in the USA, I do believe the 351 Cleveland was offered in Bullnose trucks over in Australia.

Huh. I did not even know that Bullnose trucks came with a different 351 before seeing the posted ad. I thought it was Windsors all the way through. It's pretty interesting how many engines went into Bullnose trucks. For the first time today I saw one on Instagram with a 400M

Just fyi, our page at Documentation/Engines/351M & 400 says:

First, let's talk terminology - there is no such thing as a "400M". There are 351M's and there are 400's, but no 400M.

A little background: Ford didn't put a letter on their engines, like 351C, unless there was more than one engine with the same cubic inch displacement. So, when what we know of as the 351W was introduced in 1970 Ford had a dilemma as they already had another 351 cubic inch engine - what we know of now as the 351C. It appears that Ford decided to tack a letter suffix on to the cubic inch, and that letter was taken from the foundry where the engines were, for the most part, cast - Cleveland and Windsor.

Meanwhile they introduced the 400, which is the tall-block big brother to the 351C as both are in the 335 Series, and the taller block gave them the ability to increase the stroke from 3.5" to 4.0" to get the torque needed for the land barges and trucks. Later Ford destroked the 400 to 3.5" and that gave them a third 351 cubic inch engine - what we know of as the 351M. However, the origins of the "M" are shrouded in mystery. Some say it stands for Michigan and some say Modified, and no one seems to know for sure. But Joe Viola pointed out to me references in Ford's Master Parts Catalog which refer to the engine as a Modified. The seven I can find in any of the MPC's that cover the years those engines were used are shown below. However, I can't say that this constitutes proof that Ford officially called the 351M a Modified.

There was a 255 4.2L V8 and a 232 (3.8) V6 as well. Very uncommon, but still available on the light duty trucks.

Don't get us started on the range of transmissions available either.