Bullnose Forum

Sometimes things go well - happy to share (:

66gtk

I assume due to length of time in hibernation that the fuel bowl was dry. Just like it is in my Mustang after months of not using it. I'm sticking to my story with 5 seconds of cranking and it fired right up needing only one initial accelerator pump to the floor to set choke and fast idle cam. Same as last spring after winter storage. (: I have done a tune up recently with all new spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc. 10w30 dino oil. About 50 degrees F.

What year Mustang do you have?

I find it very interesting that your mechanical fuel pump could fill up a dry fuel bowl (from 4 months of sitting) within 5 seconds and allow your engine to turn over and continue running with only one single pump of the accelerator pedal.

I am curious: did you depress the accelerator first and then crank the engine?

Or did you crank the engine first and then depress the accelerator?

• 2 weeks later...

I assume due to length of time in hibernation that the fuel bowl was dry. Just like it is in my Mustang after months of not using it. I'm sticking to my story with 5 seconds of cranking and it fired right up needing only one initial accelerator pump to the floor to set choke and fast idle cam. Same as last spring after winter storage. (: I have done a tune up recently with all new spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc. 10w30 dino oil. About 50 degrees F.

What year Mustang do you have?

I find it very interesting that your mechanical fuel pump could fill up a dry fuel bowl (from 4 months of sitting) within 5 seconds and allow your engine to turn over and continue running with only one single pump of the accelerator pedal.

I am curious: did you depress the accelerator first and then crank the engine?

Or did you crank the engine first and then depress the accelerator?

I have a 1966 Mustang.

Always press the accelerator FIRST (all the way to the floor) prior to turning over to set the choke and the fast idle cam.

I have a 1966 Mustang.

Always press the accelerator FIRST (all the way to the floor) prior to turning over to set the choke and the fast idle cam.

Of course, but the engine won't start unless there is enough fuel in the fuel bowl to actually prime the carburetor.

How do the carburetors in your truck and Mustang manage to retain enough fuel in the fuel bowls to get the engine to start within 3 - 5 seconds after sitting for FOUR months?

That is what I would like to know.

I have an Autolite 4100 from a 1965 Ford Mustang in Lucille, and there is no way mine would start as fast as yours after sitting that long.

I have a 1966 Mustang.

Of course, but the engine won't start unless there is enough fuel in the fuel bowl to actually prime the carburetor.

How do the carburetors in your truck and Mustang manage to retain enough fuel in the fuel bowls to get the engine to start within 3 - 5 seconds after sitting for FOUR months?

That is what I would like to know.

I have an Autolite 4100 from a 1965 Ford Mustang in Lucille, and there is no way mine would start as fast as yours after sitting that long.

My truck has been sitting for a week, and with the weather in the forecast it might be another before I start it again? I'll try and remember to record the cold start and post it up. Granted it's not months old, but....

My Mustang has been sitting since early October. I can record that first start (sometime next month), but it usually takes 2 rounds of cranking on the first start of the year with that one as I don't want to overheat the starter (: That one is running a Holley 1850 with a manual choke. Still has dual point distributor - original style old school ignition.

• 2 weeks later...

My truck has been sitting for a week, and with the weather in the forecast it might be another before I start it again? I'll try and remember to record the cold start and post it up. Granted it's not months old, but....

My Mustang has been sitting since early October. I can record that first start (sometime next month), but it usually takes 2 rounds of cranking on the first start of the year with that one as I don't want to overheat the starter (: That one is running a Holley 1850 with a manual choke. Still has dual point distributor - original style old school ignition.

I started it up last evening for the first time in weeks. I recorded it for your viewing.

I started it up last evening for the first time in weeks. I recorded it for your viewing.

Thanks for following through and making a video demonstration. That is a very nice Ford! :nabble_smiley_good:

I usually drive Lucille once a week, and she starts up *exactly* like that when she sits that long.

But after about 2 - 3 weeks, I have to repeat that procedure 2 - 3 times before the engine will start. It 's not a problem at all, but I wonder why mine takes that extra cranking time while yours doesn't?

P.S.

I really like your tires. I was thinking about getting a set of those for Lucille. That is actually the exact same style these trucks left the factory with! And Wal-Mart has them (even though I hate Wal-Mart) for only $90 a piece.

How do you like them?

Thanks for following through and making a video demonstration. That is a very nice Ford! :nabble_smiley_good:

I usually drive Lucille once a week, and she starts up *exactly* like that when she sits that long.

But after about 2 - 3 weeks, I have to repeat that procedure 2 - 3 times before the engine will start. It 's not a problem at all, but I wonder why mine takes that extra cranking time while yours doesn't?

P.S.

I really like your tires. I was thinking about getting a set of those for Lucille. That is actually the exact same style these trucks left the factory with! And Wal-Mart has them (even though I hate Wal-Mart) for only $90 a piece.

How do you like them?

Thanks guys. I feel blessed this truck starts well and runs fairly good now. I purchased it as a non-op, so saving all the original plumbing and making it work feels like an accomplishment.

I put those tires on for one reason - they look exactly like the ones in the original brochure! They are also affordable, and they look great with my white wheels. I had blackwalls on for 1 year and decided to switch it up when I found these wheels. They look great and do the job for a street truck that can't go very fast at all (:

truckstreet.thumb.jpg.ee2ee18d2d85ddc2ddac30480beafeb1.jpg

img-20200910-165330955-hdr.jpg.1d1a1243dd3047c390e8abd8b0cf6f30.jpg

BEFORE with different wheels and tires

3-30-20b.thumb.jpg.960d2cdc03b0231e5e2daff52f4fefc0.jpg

Thanks guys. I feel blessed this truck starts well and runs fairly good now. I purchased it as a non-op, so saving all the original plumbing and making it work feels like an accomplishment.

I put those tires on for one reason - they look exactly like the ones in the original brochure! They are also affordable, and they look great with my white wheels. I had blackwalls on for 1 year and decided to switch it up when I found these wheels. They look great and do the job for a street truck that can't go very fast at all (:

BEFORE with different wheels and tires

The white letters definitely look better! I can't believe these tires are still available. The design dates all the way back to the 1980s!

What size tires are you running?

Have you ever considered swapping out your amber front turn signal lenses for earlier white ones? The white lens was available for the 1980 model year, but I think it would look great (while still looking stock) with your white wheels and the two-tone blue and white on your truck.

The white letters definitely look better! I can't believe these tires are still available. The design dates all the way back to the 1980s!

What size tires are you running?

Have you ever considered swapping out your amber front turn signal lenses for earlier white ones? The white lens was available for the 1980 model year, but I think it would look great (while still looking stock) with your white wheels and the two-tone blue and white on your truck.

That wheel/tire combo is such a good look!

I didn’t realize the clear side marker lenses were a stock item at one time. I think those would look real nice on my dually.

7F22865A-79EE-447D-9AC4-6E35E85EC0C9.jpeg.c7526f6f9d31c7fcb5832bcab1ad1784.jpeg