Bullnose Forums

New fuel pickup/sender for PSD

This is a prototype fuel pickup and sending unit for my 03 SD 7.3 and we prepared to install it today. It's not in production yet. I've told you guys before that Riff Raff are great folks to work with and neat products.

Feast your eyes on the US made unit. Just promise that you won't try to get one for yourself yet. It's not in production yet. But my stock unit was acting up, turning on the low fuel light at 1/2 tank, and Riff Raff agreed to let me test the new unit. Prices for the Furd replacement run from $350 to $600, and I'm dead sure not paying that much for a chinesium stock unit with 7.3 "cackle" at idle (stock pickup = trapped air in the lines that dead head to the injectors). Keep in mind, it's not a pump, just a pickup and sender, and they want up to $600 for that.

Alas, we are unable to connect the beautiful flare fittings you see up to the stock Ford fuel line conx, so we were not able to finish today. We also had a B&N weld-in gooseneck to install but alas again, we found that it's built to weld into a flatbed, not between frame rails, so I'll farm that out to my local welder.

I remember reading here about the dreaded U nuts that hold down SD beds. I seem to recall that some of you bolted down Bully beds using the SD system. I cringed reading that. We wound up having to cut the heads off the two forward bolts, but not before breaking $25 worth of T50 bits. I ordered new bolts and U nuts for delivery Monday, and those suckers are getting a good coat of copper grease going in....

At my age, I'd much rather pull the bed than crawl around under a pickup.

Pickup1280.thumb.jpg.f955a44e0e9269d7a289a6d14686d775.jpg

Art1280.thumb.jpg.dcdb2015ecca6d4dac91cdcc502b5e66.jpg

BedOff1280.thumb.jpg.0dc38552234c635c0cf278306e947463.jpg

BedOff1_1280.thumb.jpg.45d2c9ee9391143be915e9d3d2b984f5.jpg

I'll mention that to Clay and see what he says.

It's a small shop.

The Bullnose senders on the market seem to be of poor quality. They don't last all that long and don't read accurately. So if he would make a good, high-quality sender he'd probably have a good market.