Bullnose Forums

Removing the sender clip

Thanks to great suggestions here, I've got the tank down far enough to reach in and disconnect things.

What's the deal on this sender clip? Hoping someone has been there and knows where I pry to unclip it.

Lord knows, I've broken more than my share of plastic things and would rather put this off until tomorrow to get the right advice.

tank_clip.thumb.jpg.ac249f98fc14d13b583e9c8608ed8f58.jpg

As I was siphoning down to the last bit I could, my clear hose began to fill with black crud. Yes!! I'm thinking this will not be in vain.

Thanks again!

Brush, blow or otherwise remove the crud so you can see the clips that hold the plug on.

if you consider that the two wires come out of the plug at 12 o clock then the retainer clip is at 6. pry lightly and wiggle the plug out of position. yes its a P I T A ! very often the clip breaks after this many years. the plug is available if you do break it.

if you consider that the two wires come out of the plug at 12 o clock then the retainer clip is at 6. pry lightly and wiggle the plug out of position. yes its a P I T A ! very often the clip breaks after this many years. the plug is available if you do break it.

Thanks Guys, I was careful and got the clip off, revealing why my gauge reads empty all the time!

sender.thumb.jpg.ea5cd496f66da6ab778c2f05f2346447.jpg

A shot through the hole shows a hideous scene!

tank.thumb.jpg.0c9d6283eef970e30f3ed6d8b8fd7e8a.jpg

After getting the last of the icky gas out & hosing out the tank, I'm letting a gallon of muriatic acid do its thing. Man, am I glad I dropped this tank!

Thanks Guys, I was careful and got the clip off, revealing why my gauge reads empty all the time!

A shot through the hole shows a hideous scene!

After getting the last of the icky gas out & hosing out the tank, I'm letting a gallon of muriatic acid do its thing. Man, am I glad I dropped this tank!

Yuk! That's awful! But no wonder the gauge didn't work. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But you aren't replacing the tank?

Yuk! That's awful! But no wonder the gauge didn't work. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But you aren't replacing the tank?

it's worth trying to save the tank and even reline it if it's the only option. however, these are still available, and it really is the best option to replace it.

look at the cost of time and materials of each option, add in the risks involved and then the "difference" is all that you are saving. I just trashed a tank for this same reason last month. and I will try too hard to keep originals sometimes.

it's worth trying to save the tank and even reline it if it's the only option. however, these are still available, and it really is the best option to replace it.

look at the cost of time and materials of each option, add in the risks involved and then the "difference" is all that you are saving. I just trashed a tank for this same reason last month. and I will try too hard to keep originals sometimes.

I've taken lots of tanks down, cleaned them, painted them & replaced them on several old cars I've owned.

As long as they don't leak or show lots of rust, I don't mind cleaning and reusing. Besides, I'm a cheapo and would prefer not to spend 3 bills on a new one. :-) I've already ordered a new sender with gasket & ring and will get the new filler tube rubber tomorrow. Yeah, it's work but it's fun. As my old friend Walt would say, playing with tired iron is cheaper than therapy.

I've taken lots of tanks down, cleaned them, painted them & replaced them on several old cars I've owned.

As long as they don't leak or show lots of rust, I don't mind cleaning and reusing. Besides, I'm a cheapo and would prefer not to spend 3 bills on a new one. :-) I've already ordered a new sender with gasket & ring and will get the new filler tube rubber tomorrow. Yeah, it's work but it's fun. As my old friend Walt would say, playing with tired iron is cheaper than therapy.

Ok, sounds like you know what you are doing. :nabble_smiley_good: