Bullnose Forums

Steering Shaft Separation

Knowing John is galavanting for the evening I'll ask - hammer what out? That thing in my pic? Which way do you hammer it?

Ya, I meant hammering the two steering shaft sections apart. They get seized together something awful. There's a flat metal spring in there that breaks, and causes the shaft sections to become sloppy. I've tried making new pieces for the spring material, but never did have great luck with them. On my '84, I ended up welding a couple nuts on the steering shaft tube and then used a couple set screws to keep them tight. It worked like a charm.

I've taken several of those steering shafts apart, and I found two of them with that spring metal in about 3-4 pieces inside, completely busted up.

Knowing John is galavanting for the evening I'll ask - hammer what out? That thing in my pic? Which way do you hammer it?

Ya, I meant hammering the two steering shaft sections apart. They get seized together something awful. There's a flat metal spring in there that breaks, and causes the shaft sections to become sloppy. I've tried making new pieces for the spring material, but never did have great luck with them. On my '84, I ended up welding a couple nuts on the steering shaft tube and then used a couple set screws to keep them tight. It worked like a charm.

I've taken several of those steering shafts apart, and I found two of them with that spring metal in about 3-4 pieces inside, completely busted up.

Thanks, Cory. Mine sure isn't busted up. That spring is keeping things very tight. Initially it didn't even want to slide but I lubed it and got it to slide, hoping that I could slide it fast enough for it to come apart. No dice.

So, does that spring lock it in? Or is it maybe possible to use an impact hammer to jerk it apart? I learned on the D44 for Dad's truck to put it on a tire dolly, chain one side to the lift, and roll it rapidly across the floor. When the slack came out it came apart.

Thanks, Cory. Mine sure isn't busted up. That spring is keeping things very tight. Initially it didn't even want to slide but I lubed it and got it to slide, hoping that I could slide it fast enough for it to come apart. No dice.

So, does that spring lock it in? Or is it maybe possible to use an impact hammer to jerk it apart? I learned on the D44 for Dad's truck to put it on a tire dolly, chain one side to the lift, and roll it rapidly across the floor. When the slack came out it came apart.

I believe there is also a thin plastic bushing between the two shafts. it may be wedging in against the spring. I know the later ones had this.

Mine slides easily but comes to a positive stop at the end. I can move it in and out but just cannot get it apart. There is something keeping it from coming out. The 91 shaft comes apart without issue. Always something to slow down progress.

Mine slides easily but comes to a positive stop at the end. I can move it in and out but just cannot get it apart. There is something keeping it from coming out. The 91 shaft comes apart without issue. Always something to slow down progress.

in the picture close up it kind of looks to be crimped at the end of the tube