Bullnose Forums

Steering Shaft Separation

Anyone know how to separate a steering shaft on an 86 F150? I have a 91 model shaft and it just slides apart, not this guy. It slides but just won't pull apart. I want to salvage the plastic shield that covers the rag joint. Or, would that shield still be available???

86_Steering_Shaft_1.thumb.jpeg.222e3b76522bcf0adb541453b66ecb32.jpegOld_Steering_Shaft2.thumb.jpeg.c4dbfc879b7b28f00e25eb19f75fae19.jpeg

This shield?

It came off like this. Yours if you'll come and get it. :nabble_smiley_evil:

That appears to be a bit different than mine, Gary. I fear that if I try to open it up to clear either end, I'll break it. Surely the shaft can be separated.

That appears to be a bit different than mine, Gary. I fear that if I try to open it up to clear either end, I'll break it. Surely the shaft can be separated.

Mine has what looks to be a tab that retains it. But I've not been able to get it apart even trying to depress the tab.

Steering_Shaft_Retainer.thumb.jpg.068881caa2e7d740cbf065c48c62b006.jpg

Mine has what looks to be a tab that retains it. But I've not been able to get it apart even trying to depress the tab.

Yes, I tried to depress that tab too and it did nothing. The only thing I did not do was try and push the tab inside the tube further. I'd be out there doing that now but heading out to Stillwater for family stuff. Thanks for trying, Gary!

Yes, I tried to depress that tab too and it did nothing. The only thing I did not do was try and push the tab inside the tube further. I'd be out there doing that now but heading out to Stillwater for family stuff. Thanks for trying, Gary!

Have a safe trip. :nabble_smiley_good:

I remember this job very well since it was one of those times where I turned a thumbnail black lol. If you know how painful that is, then you know why I remember the exact job I was doing when it happened.

If you remove the rag joint, you can get down in there with a long drift or a long punch, and hammer it out. It's still a bear to remove if it's rusted and seized in place, but it will come out.

I remember this job very well since it was one of those times where I turned a thumbnail black lol. If you know how painful that is, then you know why I remember the exact job I was doing when it happened.

If you remove the rag joint, you can get down in there with a long drift or a long punch, and hammer it out. It's still a bear to remove if it's rusted and seized in place, but it will come out.

Knowing John is galavanting for the evening I'll ask - hammer what out? That thing in my pic? Which way do you hammer it?