Bullnose Forums

Who makes/rebuilds good A/C compressors?

Spring has come... but my A/C didn't get the memo.

checked static pressures... yep, almost no charge (no liquid, just gas). Didn't need to look far to see why... the center of my clutch is wet with what smells like PAG oil. Safe to say the shaft seal is toast.

I've had no luck rebuilding compressors myself (the one I did rebuild, a 1995 Ranger's FS10) had a badly galled up compressor shaft. The next time I had one to swap, I bought a new Denso unit... cheap (enough) and Knock on wood I still have a good charge all these years later.

But, my FS6 isn't available from Denso anymore... and what I did see on rockauto is somewhat pricey rebuilds and knockoffs. Filled with the "OE-spec oil", which is probably Mineral oil for R12 (mine's converted to R134A).

Before I plunk $200+ on a "new" compressor and go to the trouble of flushing the oil, any suggestions on where the best place to get one is? I'd prefer to not rebuild mine without something else to swap in as I still have a hint of a charge, and I'd rather not have to replace the receiver-drier as when I did last fall, the install was a real pain. And since it's a shaft seal gone bad (not the compressor guts itself), I'm not worried about there being a bunch of debris in the system.

Did find this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291841685692?epid=76002781&hash=item43f31eb8bc:g:LPUAAOSw-itXqiMT

Other than the wrong pulley (and clutch?), that looks like it. I replaced my clutch and pulley with NOS OE parts about a year and half ago, so I could swap them if the shaft length is right. And if Warner Electric is a good brand. Edit- I looked, yep, swap the pulley (and clutch?) and it's the same thing. Winner?

Did find this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291841685692?epid=76002781&hash=item43f31eb8bc:g:LPUAAOSw-itXqiMT

Other than the wrong pulley (and clutch?), that looks like it. I replaced my clutch and pulley with NOS OE parts about a year and half ago, so I could swap them if the shaft length is right. And if Warner Electric is a good brand. Edit- I looked, yep, swap the pulley (and clutch?) and it's the same thing. Winner?

Looks like a winner to me, but I'm certainly no expert on A/C compressors.

If I remember, you should be able to find a compressor with R134 oil for your truck. I thought I saw options for both oils.

I would consider replacing the receiver/dryer because your going to open the system to replace the compressor.

It’s my understanding that when they’re used, then opened, they absorb moisture.

If I remember, you should be able to find a compressor with R134 oil for your truck. I thought I saw options for both oils.

I would consider replacing the receiver/dryer because your going to open the system to replace the compressor.

It’s my understanding that when they’re used, then opened, they absorb moisture.

They do absorb moisture. However, it's slow... since the system still has some charge at all, it's still "dry". For the amount of time it'd be open for replacing the compressor (which is on the other side of the system), when I vacuum it down it'll pull the moisture out. Just leave it under vacuum for longer... that's how commercial driers are refurbished, actually.

They do absorb moisture. However, it's slow... since the system still has some charge at all, it's still "dry". For the amount of time it'd be open for replacing the compressor (which is on the other side of the system), when I vacuum it down it'll pull the moisture out. Just leave it under vacuum for longer... that's how commercial driers are refurbished, actually.

Did see this:

https://www.discountacparts.com/buynow/1984/Ford/F_Series_Trucks/A-C_Compressor_and_Components_Kit/60-88720_R2?crid=2828950

No mention on what oil (if any) is in the compressor.