Bullnose Forums

New carb AOD transmission TV connection

Mark

Guys if this has already been addressed I apologize for posting it. And if it has would one of you mind sharing a link.

I am eliminating the feedback style carburetor from my truck. Also let me upfront say I'm not in any shape or form a Ford mechanic, this is really the first one I've worked on so please excuse my ignorance. Nonetheless, I ordered a Chinese knock off carb from Amazon it will mount and looks like the throttle cable will mount, but there is no pin for the TV cable to mount to. I can't be the only person that's ran into this??? Or am I? Surely not. In my reading I see that Lokar makes geometry correction adapters is this the route to go? Anyone have any experience?

I really don't want to toast my transmission so short of doing a rebuild on the feedback carb that was on the truck I'm trying to see what options I might have.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lokar makes an excellent product. However, I was under the impression that carbureted engines had a throttle rod to the AOD transmissions.

If the end of the TV cable goes to a ball then you could drill the linkage and add one. But I don't know how it attaches.

Lokar makes an excellent product. However, I was under the impression that carbureted engines had a throttle rod to the AOD transmissions.

Thanks, I just shot them an email.

There is a rod on the side of the transmission, has a little dust boot on it, that inturn has a cable that runs up to the linkage on the carb.

Again I'm a full blown noob and it's entirely possible I'm calling it a cable when in reality it's refered to as a rod. But yes there is a rod.

Thanks, I just shot them an email.

There is a rod on the side of the transmission, has a little dust boot on it, that inturn has a cable that runs up to the linkage on the carb.

Again I'm a full blown noob and it's entirely possible I'm calling it a cable when in reality it's refered to as a rod. But yes there is a rod.

Can you post a pic of how it attaches to the carb?

Well I thought I could, apparently my internet connection isn't wanting to cooperate today.

On the carburetor side there are two slide connectors, looks factory one goes to the accelerator pedal, the other runs down to the driver's side of the transmission and connects to a bar or rod that in my terms I would call an actuator 🤷

I can likely send pics when I goto work this evening. I'll have better service.

20220302_121244.jpg.a9574d6dc7a42a36240a4f95b5bd1dc2.jpg

Carb end

20220302_121011.jpg.476ae22de2b52e5c2215f819fa38a5ff.jpg

Transmission end.

Here's my thinking since I posted this. In speaking with Lokar, they don't make an adapter or geometry corrector bracket as it were. So I started looking at doing some fab work to make it work, but then do I really want to put in the time with a cheap knock off carb... If there was a simple fix I'd likely go that way, but thus far I'm not seeing anything. If you guys have any of ideas I'm definitely open to hearing them. I'm probably going to go ahead and rebuild the factory carb and this will be a learning experience for me. It just looks like it would be such a simple thing, but not having that one ball connection at the precise location turns out to be a very important thing.

Carb end

Transmission end.

Here's my thinking since I posted this. In speaking with Lokar, they don't make an adapter or geometry corrector bracket as it were. So I started looking at doing some fab work to make it work, but then do I really want to put in the time with a cheap knock off carb... If there was a simple fix I'd likely go that way, but thus far I'm not seeing anything. If you guys have any of ideas I'm definitely open to hearing them. I'm probably going to go ahead and rebuild the factory carb and this will be a learning experience for me. It just looks like it would be such a simple thing, but not having that one ball connection at the precise location turns out to be a very important thing.

Get a good picture of the carburetor throttle lever if you can, preferably with a scale against it. With all the strange things I have done with carburetor linkages I may be able to give you some help in finding a solution.

I would also be extremely leery of those Chinese knock off 2100s, read this thread: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Choke-adjustments-and-Cheap-Chinese-carburetor-WARNING-tp112181.html

I just noticed you have a rare beast, 300 with an AOD. I would definitely be very careful as the AOD/300 combination is a bit fragile due to the torque of the 300. Ford only used the AOD in the trucks for a short time replacing it with the E4OD after EFI and the E4OD became available, same reason the C4 was short lived and switched to the C6. In cars the AOD was used behind the 351W for a few years.

Get a good picture of the carburetor throttle lever if you can, preferably with a scale against it. With all the strange things I have done with carburetor linkages I may be able to give you some help in finding a solution.

I would also be extremely leery of those Chinese knock off 2100s, read this thread: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Choke-adjustments-and-Cheap-Chinese-carburetor-WARNING-tp112181.html

I just noticed you have a rare beast, 300 with an AOD. I would definitely be very careful as the AOD/300 combination is a bit fragile due to the torque of the 300. Ford only used the AOD in the trucks for a short time replacing it with the E4OD after EFI and the E4OD became available, same reason the C4 was short lived and switched to the C6. In cars the AOD was used behind the 351W for a few years.

Leave it to me to get an oddball combo 😂. I picked this rig up because I wanted a new project and I've always liked the bullnose body style. So far I like the body style and the engine block 😂 and that's it haha.

Yes I'm pretty well resolved to doing a rebuild on the carb I've got. Me not knowing anything about Ford's, I now see that this feedback carb will work, even though I'm not using the feedback ignition. That way I don't risk messing up the trans.

So excuse my ignorance again here, but before I just order a rebuild kit, does anyone know if the feedback carb is the "YFA" carb?