Bullnose Forum

Blue Top Steering Gears

Machspeed

That box is a beauty! I can't wait to hear your thoughts after driving it. I hope your pitman arm and 3 mounting bolts are not difficult to remove. I know you don't have the same levels of rust there, but I have broken those mounting bolts before, on TWO frames. Removing those bolts is a very UNFUN job.

In any case, good luck John. Can't wait to hear the results.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that you already removed the original box. Duh...lol.

Finally got my Blue Top rebuilt steering box bolted in along with an updated steering shaft out of a 91 F150. The 91 steering shaft is a better option than the 86 and a whole lot cheaper than a Borgeson unit. It bolted right in without issues. Filled the system with Type F fluid as recommended by the owners manual and Blue Top. Bled the system and took it out for a spin.

Very very pleased with the steering now. It is super tight with no slop. I wasn't expecting much improvement really, just had the box rebuilt because it was leaking, not because I thought is was wore out.

Anyway, I said I'd report back on my Blue Top experience and to say that I am very pleased is an understatement! Very impressed with these people.... the turn around time and my box provided it does not leak. That of course may take some time.

And Gary, I never was able to separate that 86 steering shaft. The plastic cover came with the 91 shaft and I just used it. It has some slight damage underneath and as it is not seen, I just went with it.

Finally got my Blue Top rebuilt steering box bolted in along with an updated steering shaft out of a 91 F150. The 91 steering shaft is a better option than the 86 and a whole lot cheaper than a Borgeson unit. It bolted right in without issues. Filled the system with Type F fluid as recommended by the owners manual and Blue Top. Bled the system and took it out for a spin.

Very very pleased with the steering now. It is super tight with no slop. I wasn't expecting much improvement really, just had the box rebuilt because it was leaking, not because I thought is was wore out.

Anyway, I said I'd report back on my Blue Top experience and to say that I am very pleased is an understatement! Very impressed with these people.... the turn around time and my box provided it does not leak. That of course may take some time.

And Gary, I never was able to separate that 86 steering shaft. The plastic cover came with the 91 shaft and I just used it. It has some slight damage underneath and as it is not seen, I just went with it.

So glad to see that you like the Blue Top that well, John. Speaks highly of them and their work.

As for getting that shaft apart, I assume you tried the slide hammer and it wouldn't budge. Glad the other cover worked out.

Good to hear!

Excellent news John! Don't ya just feel like going for a long drive now??..:nabble_smiley_grin:

Excellent news John! Don't ya just feel like going for a long drive now??..:nabble_smiley_grin:

Yes, but with gas where it is today and running non-ethanol fuel, long rides are expensive! Hopefully, that changes. Hopefully, a lot of things change! And, that's all I'm gonna say about that :nabble_smiley_happy:

Yes, but with gas where it is today and running non-ethanol fuel, long rides are expensive! Hopefully, that changes. Hopefully, a lot of things change! And, that's all I'm gonna say about that :nabble_smiley_happy:

I'm not sure what the question is about the cover being able to come off. all of the ones I have seen are relief cut over the rag joint to just open up and slide right off. sort of like a Remington golden Sabre, if you know what I mean.