Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special's Ouray Colorado Trip, 2018

Exactly, it's not the motor torque that needs a reaction, it's the driveshaft torque. And while I'm not getting 16.12 (edit, actually 17.2 if I could enter the right numbers into a calculator) times the full torque of a 302 (because I'm never giving it the full torque of a 302 when it's in low-low), it does take a lot of torque to "idle" up some of these rocks. Not having to do it at a higher speed reduces the power (proportional to speed) and energy (proportional to the speed squared) so it is a lot easier on equipment with lower gears. But it's still the same torque needed, so it's not like it's nothing.

And 40-some years of use and soaking in oil I'm sure didn't do the rubber any favors either! After thinking about it when the first one went I realized that tearing that old mount was a given, and I shouldn't expect much better from a new one so I built the stronger one. But I did think the passenger's side would hold up so I put it back on. It only lasted another trip or two, even being stressed mainly in compression. But it is in tension in reverse, and it was old and oil-soaked too. A new stock mount might have been fine, but I decided to build an overkill mount for that side too.

How about sharing., somewhere, how you made the mounts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic