Bullnose Forums

M5odr2

Would a 92-96 M5ODR2 bolt right on into my 81 F100 4.9l? TÍA.

Yes it will. I've done two M5OD-R2 swaps.

The '92-'96 M5OD will work, but the downside is that you will not be able to connect your speedometer cable. If you want to keep using your factory speedo, you'll want an M5OD from 1988-1991. In 1992 Ford deleted the cable driven speedo and started reading from a sensor in the rear diff. This only applies to 2wd...which I assume you have if it's a factory F100.

It's a pretty easy swap in an '84-'86 manual trans Bullnose that already had a hydraulic clutch. In a 1981, you'll need some extra stuff:

1984-1986 Manual trans hydraulic clutch pedal set.

1984-1986 Hydraulic master cylinder.

1988-1991 Hydraulic line (Master to slave cylinder)

You'll have to drill a hole(s) in the firewall to mount the master cylinder.

You'll want to install a firewall brace at this time (recommended)

You'll have to plug the hole in the floor/firewall where the mechanical clutch linkage runs now.

If available, you'll want the M5OD factory crossmember.

You'll probably have to have a driveshaft made or have your existing one modified.

(Depending on the transmission length, maybe not...I didn't have to).

If pulling the M5OD from a junked truck, grab the plug/pigtail from the reverse switch if it's available.

It'll save you from having to buy a new one.

Grab the 5spd tunnel cover from that donor truck if it's available.

Brother: I went to the junk yard and located a the M5odR2 cross member, and the tunnel cover. The pickings are very slim and was not able to locate the 84-86 manual trans hydraulic clutch pedal set. Is there another option that might work? The rest I can order online. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother: I went to the junk yard and located a the M5odR2 cross member, and the tunnel cover. The pickings are very slim and was not able to locate the 84-86 manual trans hydraulic clutch pedal set. Is there another option that might work? The rest I can order online. Thanks in advance.

Not that I know of, no. I believe the hydraulic pedal sets are all specific to the truck generations. '84-'86, '87-'91, and '92-'96. I believe, and Gary can correct me if I'm wrong, but the hydraulic pedal set started in 1983 technically, but they were rare (only with 460 & diesel). Otherwise, they didn't show up on everything else until 1984, which makes them somewhat rare these days...since they were only used for 3 years.

Not that I know of, no. I believe the hydraulic pedal sets are all specific to the truck generations. '84-'86, '87-'91, and '92-'96. I believe, and Gary can correct me if I'm wrong, but the hydraulic pedal set started in 1983 technically, but they were rare (only with 460 & diesel). Otherwise, they didn't show up on everything else until 1984, which makes them somewhat rare these days...since they were only used for 3 years.

You are right.

If you can't find a set locally, check Car-Part.com and I think you'll find them. Here's a screenshot of a quick search in the Midwest. I know you're in Texas, but search around and you'll find a set that somebody will ship.

pedals.jpg.c0d60d26bf990a030ff11f8af9b8ad83.jpg

If you can't find a set locally, check Car-Part.com and I think you'll find them. Here's a screenshot of a quick search in the Midwest. I know you're in Texas, but search around and you'll find a set that somebody will ship.

Any chance that the set from an 83 mechanical clutch would work?

Thank you. There are quite a few available. The one thing I am not sure is if all the 84-86 trucks with manual transmissions all were/had hydraulic clutches. How would i know the difference if it was a mechanical pedal set?.....

Thank you. There are quite a few available. The one thing I am not sure is if all the 84-86 trucks with manual transmissions all were/had hydraulic clutches. How would i know the difference if it was a mechanical pedal set?.....

You are probably asking Cory, but I'll reply and let him correct me if I go wrong.

Yes, all 1984 and later trucks had hydraulic clutch assemblies. As for telling the difference, go to our page at Documentation/Driveline/Clutches & Linkage and then go to the Clutch Linkage tab. You can then click on the Mechanical and then the Hydraulic tabs to see the differences.

Just saw your previous reply. The answer would be yes then.

You are probably asking Cory, but I'll reply and let him correct me if I go wrong.

Yes, all 1984 and later trucks had hydraulic clutch assemblies. As for telling the difference, go to our page at Documentation/Driveline/Clutches & Linkage and then go to the Clutch Linkage tab. You can then click on the Mechanical and then the Hydraulic tabs to see the differences.

Thank you Gary