Bullnose Forum

New dilemma!

Cbarnes

Okay Gary,

I don’t understand, but I did as you suggested and put the big starter wire back to the post it was originally on. The fuel pump did not come on and run. The truck started and ran just fine.

Carl

There's something on that starter that is feeding power from the large wire into the trigger wire. So with the large wire on the always-hot terminal you then have power at all times on the large starter terminal. And since that terminal is tied to the I terminal, the pump comes on.

If you need I can draw that up.

To prove it, take the trigger wire off the big terminal, making sure to insulate it, and the truck should still start and run. There's a jumper somewhere between the power and trigger wire on the starter.

There's something on that starter that is feeding power from the large wire into the trigger wire. So with the large wire on the always-hot terminal you then have power at all times on the large starter terminal. And since that terminal is tied to the I terminal, the pump comes on.

If you need I can draw that up.

To prove it, take the trigger wire off the big terminal, making sure to insulate it, and the truck should still start and run. There's a jumper somewhere between the power and trigger wire on the starter.

I went and pulled the starter back off, This is what it looks like.

E13F07B4-9CA9-4C1B-804A-3C2994CBCCCA.jpeg.c25085e6e5a70b2a90e9b500a0ce7398.jpeg

32FCDB3C-E793-4BCB-81E9-A026D5060439.jpeg.9accce194e0c0d2cb2c198767085a7d4.jpeg

I don't see a connection, but there must be one or it wouldn't act that way. Put it back on but w/o the trigger wire and I'll bet it still works.

Reinstalled the starter, left the trigger off of the solenoid on the fender, got a click when trying to start but no starter engage. Hooked the trigger back up on the solenoid, fired right up, but the starter doesn’t disengage instantly.

Reinstalled the starter, left the trigger off of the solenoid on the fender, got a click when trying to start but no starter engage. Hooked the trigger back up on the solenoid, fired right up, but the starter doesn’t disengage instantly.

Yes, that's what happens with both connected to the same terminal as the back emf holds the starter in. How bad is it?

I'm surprised that you got a click. Guess there isn't a solid connection, but something causes the pump to come in. :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, that's what happens with both connected to the same terminal as the back emf holds the starter in. How bad is it?

I'm surprised that you got a click. Guess there isn't a solid connection, but something causes the pump to come in. :nabble_anim_confused:

It’s not horrible, maybe 3-5 seconds, sounds bad is all. I may get a new solenoid and try it, just for grins.

I did disconnect the trigger wire, and then used my multi-meter to see if there was any voltage back feeding through the trigger wire. Did it with the key off, none, then with the key on, still nothing.

It’s not horrible, maybe 3-5 seconds, sounds bad is all. I may get a new solenoid and try it, just for grins.

I did disconnect the trigger wire, and then used my multi-meter to see if there was any voltage back feeding through the trigger wire. Did it with the key off, none, then with the key on, still nothing.

I'm at a loss. The findings are very confusing. If there's no feedback from the starter it suggests the starter relay is bad. But it doesn't really act that way since everything worked before you replaced the starter.

So maybe replacing the relay will help?

I'm at a loss. The findings are very confusing. If there's no feedback from the starter it suggests the starter relay is bad. But it doesn't really act that way since everything worked before you replaced the starter.

So maybe replacing the relay will help?

how "compatible" is the replacement starter? different opinions are expressed here often.

how "compatible" is the replacement starter? different opinions are expressed here often.

Matt - It appears to be mechanically compatible as it starts the truck and apparently doesn't grind.

Chris - Let's go back to the picture. Why are there three connections? And are you using the right two?

I ask because I'm not familiar with starters with three connections. And this one does have a jumper, but it is wrapped back on itself - under a terminal that isn't being used. What is that terminal for?

I'm guessing that you have one terminal that is ahead of the starters solenoid, one that is after the starter's solenoid, and one that triggers the starter's solenoid. If that is the case then you are probably wired correctly as if you put power to the one after the solenoid the starter would run.

But maybe you can see markings?

32FCDB3C-E793-4BCB-81E9-A026D5060439.jpeg.3279a8fab5ef95995ea22087f9e7ff4a.jpeg

Matt - It appears to be mechanically compatible as it starts the truck and apparently doesn't grind.

Chris - Let's go back to the picture. Why are there three connections? And are you using the right two?

I ask because I'm not familiar with starters with three connections. And this one does have a jumper, but it is wrapped back on itself - under a terminal that isn't being used. What is that terminal for?

I'm guessing that you have one terminal that is ahead of the starters solenoid, one that is after the starter's solenoid, and one that triggers the starter's solenoid. If that is the case then you are probably wired correctly as if you put power to the one after the solenoid the starter would run.

But maybe you can see markings?

Gary,

This is the starter that I used.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/ford-mini-starter-truck-van-mercury-460-engine-3226-sfd0030.html

Carl