Bullnose Forums

Exhaust Update

Machspeed

A few weeks back I was posting questions in regard to mufflers and such. I had been running some Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and while I liked the sound idling, disliked the drone, and hated it under excelleration. As Gary said, they are "flatulent sounding", and indeed they were. Anyway, ultimately settled on a couple Flowmaster Flofx mufflers. These are Flowmaster's version of Magnaflow, only much cheaper. After examining them at the muffler place, was pretty impressed and decided to go with them.

I have shortie headers sending exhaust through 2.25" tubing, into an X-pipe, through the two Flofx mufflers, and exiting through 18" by 3.5" tips behind both wheels. I had the exhaust guy use V-Clamps so that, if need be, I could pull the exhaust apart. This, at the suggestion of the exhaust guy, whom I was very impressed with. I did not have exhaust tips upon completion of the system and when I fired it up, I was a little disappointed. The exhaust guy laughed and said, "wait till the tips go on". That said, I'm amazed at how the tips alone can make such a difference in the exhaust sound. I've attached a couple of videos, one without tips and one with, but don't think they do actual justice in the true sound, especially since I did not rev the engine. Anyway, real pleased with this setup.....nice sound, no drone, perfect for an old guy.

IMG_3165.thumb.jpeg.e832d2fdfae5b46978097ead3d7583cb.jpeg

IMG_3166.thumb.jpeg.7ca09de9bdaf8cd00eb988a40cdd6d3e.jpeg

Wow! I’m surprised at the difference. I didn’t think it would be that noticeable on a video on my ipad.

Sounds good!

Yeah, it's crazy isn't it. I told Gary about this, and he asked me to post it up.

The exhaust guy told me that the sound would have been even deeper had I gone with 4" tips but I really didn't want to go that bid.

Yeah, it's crazy isn't it. I told Gary about this, and he asked me to post it up.

The exhaust guy told me that the sound would have been even deeper had I gone with 4" tips but I really didn't want to go that bid.

Looks great and sounds great John! I love the tips, and the exit angles on each side. Well done.

Looks great and sounds great John! I love the tips, and the exit angles on each side. Well done.

I, too, am amazed at the difference. And the way you shot the videos is perfect as I can stop one and start the other to hear the difference. For instance, at about 56 seconds you are on the left rear and I can go back and forth. Wow!

Might have to do that to Big Blue!

I, too, am amazed at the difference. And the way you shot the videos is perfect as I can stop one and start the other to hear the difference. For instance, at about 56 seconds you are on the left rear and I can go back and forth. Wow!

Might have to do that to Big Blue!

Very nice, John!