Bullnose Forums

Electric issues

El Chapo

I'm not sure what you are showing here. nothing to do with the steering column though.

Yea haven’t busted into the column yet, was just showing some of the many - many loose / cut wires, I keep finding I’m thinking they have to go somewhere? I hope my problem will be solved in the column.

i recently had a truck here where someone had a broken tab for the turn signal connector (crescent shaped plug next to ignition switch) and rather than leaving it to dangle or rattle they zip tied it to the column. all work seemed to have been done well except that from underneath you cannot see the rod that goes between the key cyl and ignition switch. it was in a bind with the tight zip tie and did as you describe.

Good morning,

I lowered the column where as I could see where the rod connects to what I believe is the actuator?

Mounted to the column by two bolts. The rod itself doesn’t appear to be in any kind of bind but yet requires a bit of effort to get to turn especially to get where the engine turns. B3584DC1-491B-4879-A623-79DDD8CFF19E.jpeg.65e3be52c140942f70b63510d021b01c.jpeg

Good morning,

I lowered the column where as I could see where the rod connects to what I believe is the actuator?

Mounted to the column by two bolts. The rod itself doesn’t appear to be in any kind of bind but yet requires a bit of effort to get to turn especially to get where the engine turns.

the picture shows the rod and the ignition switch with the plug still hooked to it. the actuator is in the column just under the steering wheel at the point where it pivots. understand that this is not an easy piece to replace.

start by loosening the two 7/16" nuts holding the switch in place (mark its position first) and see if things get any easier to move and whether the rod may be binding there or not.

the picture shows the rod and the ignition switch with the plug still hooked to it. the actuator is in the column just under the steering wheel at the point where it pivots. understand that this is not an easy piece to replace.

start by loosening the two 7/16" nuts holding the switch in place (mark its position first) and see if things get any easier to move and whether the rod may be binding there or not.

If you loosen those nuts you might want to re-adjust the position of the switch, We have the factory shop manual directions on the Ignition Switch tab on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition.

Thank you May and Gary very much..”I’m no mechanic by a long shot but have a good inclination and will not turn away from a respectable challenge. My theory “it was already broken” so all I can do now is fix it!

I’ll follow your suggestions thx again!

Thank you May and Gary very much..”I’m no mechanic by a long shot but have a good inclination and will not turn away from a respectable challenge. My theory “it was already broken” so all I can do now is fix it!

I’ll follow your suggestions thx again!

Correction *Mat and Gary