Bullnose Forums

Ignition and Carb replacement.

Arrgo

Randy, you hit the nail on the head on lack of performance. The 1985-86 302 truck heads are the worst heads Ford ever used on the Windsor engines (221-351W).

Can you describe or send photos on how it hooks up to your DS harness?

Can you describe or send photos on how it hooks up to your DS harness?

Regarding EGR - my truck was having some intermittent issues and I tried everything including replacing and calibrating the TPS. All the EEC-III stuff is hooked up. I eventually did some testing simply unplugging and sealing off the vacuum hose from the EGR and the truck ran better than ever, and it kept doing so! I eventually replaced the EGR with the correct replacement (that's a fun thing to research and find) and the truck keeps working very well for the entire season last year. I guess I post this to question if the EGR stuff is really that essential to the truck running well. In my case, a bad/plugged up EGR made the truck run worse than no EGR hooked up and I can't tell the difference with a new EGR/no EGR running condition. I did not examine fuel economy differences.

Regarding EGR - my truck was having some intermittent issues and I tried everything including replacing and calibrating the TPS. All the EEC-III stuff is hooked up. I eventually did some testing simply unplugging and sealing off the vacuum hose from the EGR and the truck ran better than ever, and it kept doing so! I eventually replaced the EGR with the correct replacement (that's a fun thing to research and find) and the truck keeps working very well for the entire season last year. I guess I post this to question if the EGR stuff is really that essential to the truck running well. In my case, a bad/plugged up EGR made the truck run worse than no EGR hooked up and I can't tell the difference with a new EGR/no EGR running condition. I did not examine fuel economy differences.

Glad you got your truck running well. But one of the failure modes of an EGR valve is to stick open. So pulling the vacuum line leaves it leaking - all the time, not just when vacuum is applied. So the truck gets exhaust gas when it isn't supposed to, and runs poorly.

I don't know that your problem was due to that, but it is possible.

Glad you got your truck running well. But one of the failure modes of an EGR valve is to stick open. So pulling the vacuum line leaves it leaking - all the time, not just when vacuum is applied. So the truck gets exhaust gas when it isn't supposed to, and runs poorly.

I don't know that your problem was due to that, but it is possible.

My 351 came with the EEC and feedback carb, but the PO had pulled all the exhaust side emissions and sensors off. It ran very poorly. I started with a straight 2150 2 barrel and a hybrid GM style HEI distributor. That was simple, and not too expensive and got it drive-able in a hurry. It worked fine until it didn't. I went through 2 of those distributors and then bought a Pertronix. So far so good. I am really trying to keep it as simple as possible. I then swapped on an Edlebrock intake and Holley 4 barrel and put on shorty headers (exhaust manifold was cracked). It all runs fine and I'm comfortable with my level of technology (limited troubleshooting skills). I agree with the one step at a time.