Bullnose Forums

Fuel Injection System Musings

It was a conversion I found on Google. If you seriously want to play with things, go put it at Standard Temperature and Pressure (Gas laws). I haven't messed with them since 1963 or 64 when I took physics in High School (in between building a cyclotron).

Bill - I haven't played with the Ideal Gas Law since college - and don't want to. I was just curious where you got the numbers. (But I do remember that PV = nRT. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Rusty - That's why Bill has a spare, although it is in my shop, and I intend to have one - or more.

Big Blue isn't the only usage of the EEC-V system I plan. Dad's truck is to get the same treatment, so I'm using BB as the guinea pig. (Ouch! Did I just liken a 460 to a pig? :nabble_smiley_evil:) In other words, this isn't just a one-off exercise.

In fact, our member and my friend Steve Fox/Foxford33 has a Jeep Grand Wagoneer and we've discussed going with EEC-V on it. The system doesn't care what brand engine it is controlling, but Steve has said he might go w/a 351W and an E4OD. We can do that, but we could also do any other engine if we can graft on a compatible TPS.

Bill - I haven't played with the Ideal Gas Law since college - and don't want to. I was just curious where you got the numbers. (But I do remember that PV = nRT. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Rusty - That's why Bill has a spare, although it is in my shop, and I intend to have one - or more.

Big Blue isn't the only usage of the EEC-V system I plan. Dad's truck is to get the same treatment, so I'm using BB as the guinea pig. (Ouch! Did I just liken a 460 to a pig? :nabble_smiley_evil:) In other words, this isn't just a one-off exercise.

In fact, our member and my friend Steve Fox/Foxford33 has a Jeep Grand Wagoneer and we've discussed going with EEC-V on it. The system doesn't care what brand engine it is controlling, but Steve has said he might go w/a 351W and an E4OD. We can do that, but we could also do any other engine if we can graft on a compatible TPS.

Well, the X3LF-BA MAF sensor from the Jag came in today. Here's a closeup for posterity.

X3LF-BA_MAF_Sensor.thumb.jpg.f0a67a645eb5ed007e4812dc77415bb9.jpg

As it turns out there are apparently different X3LF-BA's as the one David found two days ago is on the left, below, and the one from the Jag as well as my F5OF are on the right. The one on the left has the inlet air temp sensor and mine doesn't. And, as you can see, that later style is way too big to fit in one of the earlier housings.

So, at this point I don't know what I'm going to do. I might try the X3LF that I have and just use the IAT sensor in the air box. Or I might order in the X3LF w/an IAT sensor and the connector to make it work. Still thinking on this, but welcome your thoughts.

XL3F_With_IAT_Sensor.jpg.f686c945e128a392995c66156074cb53.jpgX3LF_vs_F5OF_MAF_Sensors.thumb.jpg.389addbf7938fec38238b3c774085c25.jpg

Well, the X3LF-BA MAF sensor from the Jag came in today. Here's a closeup for posterity.

As it turns out there are apparently different X3LF-BA's as the one David found two days ago is on the left, below, and the one from the Jag as well as my F5OF are on the right. The one on the left has the inlet air temp sensor and mine doesn't. And, as you can see, that later style is way too big to fit in one of the earlier housings.

So, at this point I don't know what I'm going to do. I might try the X3LF that I have and just use the IAT sensor in the air box. Or I might order in the X3LF w/an IAT sensor and the connector to make it work. Still thinking on this, but welcome your thoughts.

Gary, the XL3F-BA I have does not have the IAT built in, the YC2F-BA from the 2003 E250 5.4L does.

Gary, the XL3F-BA I have does not have the IAT built in, the YC2F-BA from the 2003 E250 5.4L does.

Interesting, Bill. I just ordered the XL3F-BA that shows to have the IAT sensor in it in the pics. For $18 it is worth it, both to find out and to have it on hand in case the one in the pics above doesn't work correctly.

Oddly enough, this one says it is a "new takeoff". So, why would anyone take a new MAF off? :nabble_anim_confused:

Interesting, Bill. I just ordered the XL3F-BA that shows to have the IAT sensor in it in the pics. For $18 it is worth it, both to find out and to have it on hand in case the one in the pics above doesn't work correctly.

Oddly enough, this one says it is a "new takeoff". So, why would anyone take a new MAF off? :nabble_anim_confused:

Junkyard.

So, they just recently took it off so it is a "new takeoff"? http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

Have done some reading in my new book entitled Engine Management Advanced Tuning. And I found this discussion:

Laminar Flow: Many OEM applications reduce clocking and velocity effects by integrating a laminar flow element into the MAF sensor assembly. The design of these flow straighteners ranges from simple wire screens to honeycombs with an exceptionally high Reynolds number. Many performance enthusiasts looking for extra power mistake the laminar flow element for a genuine restriction and remove them.

Looks to me like he's describing that screen in our EEC-V systems, the one that looks like this:

f6tx-9e931-aa.thumb.jpg.572bd6a10d65dc15f324cf91009afb25.jpg

Have done some reading in my new book entitled Engine Management Advanced Tuning. And I found this discussion:

Laminar Flow: Many OEM applications reduce clocking and velocity effects by integrating a laminar flow element into the MAF sensor assembly. The design of these flow straighteners ranges from simple wire screens to honeycombs with an exceptionally high Reynolds number. Many performance enthusiasts looking for extra power mistake the laminar flow element for a genuine restriction and remove them.

Looks to me like he's describing that screen in our EEC-V systems, the one that looks like this:

The factory 460 air filter has one, but it is essentially a screen. The 1995 Lincoln Continental MAF and the 2003 E250 5.4L both had/have a curved "horn" like a carburetor velocity stack. The 1996 Chevy 454 MAF has what appears to be a screen on it, both sides, but if could be the actual sensor. The modified Windsor MAF air filter I made has the horn from the inside of the Lincoln Continental air filter.

On the original Lincoln Continental and the E250 the filter elements are round and butt against the disc the MAF is attached to inside the assembly so the air is pretty much straight going into the MAF, on the Windsor air filter, pretty much the same as the MAF sits above the lid face. The 460 one sits below the lid face and has a ledge across the inlet duct so the screen may be needed to smooth the flow even though the opening is asymmetric, with the bottom of the flange about 12mm above the bottom of the MAF housing.

It would be interesting if I still had access to the air flow bench we had in the lab for calibrating anemometers so I could maybe do some comparisons of MAF styles (plastic vs metal) and inlet configurations.

The factory 460 air filter has one, but it is essentially a screen. The 1995 Lincoln Continental MAF and the 2003 E250 5.4L both had/have a curved "horn" like a carburetor velocity stack. The 1996 Chevy 454 MAF has what appears to be a screen on it, both sides, but if could be the actual sensor. The modified Windsor MAF air filter I made has the horn from the inside of the Lincoln Continental air filter.

On the original Lincoln Continental and the E250 the filter elements are round and butt against the disc the MAF is attached to inside the assembly so the air is pretty much straight going into the MAF, on the Windsor air filter, pretty much the same as the MAF sits above the lid face. The 460 one sits below the lid face and has a ledge across the inlet duct so the screen may be needed to smooth the flow even though the opening is asymmetric, with the bottom of the flange about 12mm above the bottom of the MAF housing.

It would be interesting if I still had access to the air flow bench we had in the lab for calibrating anemometers so I could maybe do some comparisons of MAF styles (plastic vs metal) and inlet configurations.

Yes, I think that screen is to turn the flow laminar. I'm sure glad I have it.

Boy, it would be wonderful if you could do the testing.

I've been trying to figure out how I could do it. I have the 600 CFM dust collector I use to pull powder out of the booth when I'm PC'ing. I'm sure it doesn't flow exactly 600 CFM, but if I had a reference I could put several MAF sensors in series. That should let me compare the several units I have, but it wouldn't let me easily vary the CFM - unless I bleed some off. But it would be fiddly and I don't really want to do it as I'd rather get this EFI system going.

Yes, I think that screen is to turn the flow laminar. I'm sure glad I have it.

Boy, it would be wonderful if you could do the testing.

I've been trying to figure out how I could do it. I have the 600 CFM dust collector I use to pull powder out of the booth when I'm PC'ing. I'm sure it doesn't flow exactly 600 CFM, but if I had a reference I could put several MAF sensors in series. That should let me compare the several units I have, but it wouldn't let me easily vary the CFM - unless I bleed some off. But it would be fiddly and I don't really want to do it as I'd rather get this EFI system going.

Got my 2nd XL3F MAF sensor in today. Boy is it clean. But, unlike the picture, it doesn't have the temp sensor in it. Yes, I could send it back but I'm going to keep it as it looks new. I think I'll use it in the plastic housing as that will give me a backup in case there's a problem with this one.

Here are a couple of pics of it vs the $14 Jag takeoff, which is the dirty one. Note that parallax error is why the right one looks bigger. They are the same size.

XL3F_Comparison_-_Top.thumb.jpg.995ecc9d115e643cb278c1ac5583ce3f.jpg

XL3F_Comparison_-_Side.thumb.jpg.cadf655df6e581945c0a42fc8eddca15.jpg