Bullnose Forums

Vacuum Control Valve (VCV) and harness - '81 F-100 I6

I am looking for the vacuum hoses / harness for the VCV and would appreciate any help, part number(s), etc. I have a replacement VCV, Motorcraft # CX-241, D8TE-9D473-B2A but no harness to go with it.

Here's a pic of my existing VCV that I'm replacing.20180719_174218.thumb.jpg.c2ef079c27f4684b4a4c487a0faad458.jpg

Here's a pic of what I believe the harness should look like.

VCV_connector.thumb.jpg.b67c56f6b763d177e058f72d6ba4f57e.jpg

and here's my vacuum hose chart.

vacuum.jpg.36882c725f2072a30498a74834c6f699.jpg

Help? Suggestions?

The original hoses were plastic and prone to breaking after many years. Follow the diagram for routing and you can replace the hoses with rubber vacuum hoses.

Gotcha, I wondered if that may be why they are hard to find. ALL NOS was used up due to breaking, etc .

Gotcha, I wondered if that may be why they are hard to find. ALL NOS was used up due to breaking, etc .

Anyone know what the 4 port letters on the VCV mean and routed to what as based on the vacuum chart.

From the bottom up, S E M D.

I think I can follow the vacuum chart but just want to understand the codes / letters on the VCV.

Anyone know what the 4 port letters on the VCV mean and routed to what as based on the vacuum chart.

I think I can follow the vacuum chart but just want to understand the codes / letters on the VCV.

I don't know, although Dave/Fuzzface may know as his vacuum diagram looks just like yours.

But, is this a full-on restoration? In other words, do you need to put it back exactly like it was?

I don't know, although Dave/Fuzzface may know as his vacuum diagram looks just like yours.

But, is this a full-on restoration? In other words, do you need to put it back exactly like it was?

Vacuum Diagram Definitions

Abbreviation Description

A/CL Located in the air cleaner

A/CL DV Air Cleaner Diverter Valve

A/CL BI MET Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve

A/CL CWM Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator

ACT Air Charge Temperature Sensor, prior to 1992

ACTS Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor

ACV Air Control Valve

AIR Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.

AIR BPV AIR Bypass (AIRB) Valve; also called the TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) Valve

BV Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)

CARB Carburetor

CBD Closed Bowl Distributor

CPRV Canister Purge Valve

DIST Distributor

DPFE Differential Pressure Feedback

DV-TW Two Way Delay Valve

EFCA Electronic Fuel Control Assembly/ (Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)

EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation

EGRC/EGRV EGR Vent/EGR Control

EXH HCV Exhaust Heat Control Valve

EVP EGR Valve Position

EGR Valve Position

EVR EGR Vacuum Regulator; also called EGR Vacuum Solenoid

FLTR Filter

FPR Fuel Pressure Regulator (check vacuum line)

HEAT VLV INT Heat Vacuum Control Valve Intake, (next to carb)

HICV Hot Idle Control Valve

IAT Intake Air Temperature Sensor (Air Charge Temperature (ACT), prior to 1992

IVV Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve

LCV EGR Load Control

MAN VAC Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source; usually ref. to as Vacuum Tree atop intake manifold

MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure

PCV Positive Crankcase Ventilation

PURGE Vapor Canister Purge Valve

PV Ported Vacuum

PVS Ported Vacuum Switch (PVS) Valve

S Spark port

SA-FV Separator Assembly Fuel/Vacuum

SOLV Thermactor Solenoid Valve

SV CBV Carborator Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve

TCAC Thermostatically Controlled Air Cleaner

TCP Temperature Compensated Accelerator Pump

TK Throttle Kicker

TVS Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka Solepot, Dashpot) OR Temperature Vacuum Switch

TVV Thermal Vacuum Valve OR Thermostatic Vacuum Valve (aka Ported Vacuum Switches; Thermal Vacuum Valve)

VAC Vacuum

VCKV Vacuum Check Valve

VCV Vacuum Control Valve

VDV Vacuum Delay Valve

V CK V or VCV Vacuum Check Valve

VOTM Vacuum Operated Throttle Modulator

VRDV Distributor Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)

VRDV Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)

VRESER Vacuum Reservoir (coffee can style in earlier years; replaced by plastic style)

VRESV REST on earlier years such as SEABRONC's 83 is a Vacuum Restictor/delay valve, it delays vacuum for a certain amount of time

VRV Vacuum Regulator Valve

WOT Wide Open Throttle Valve

Vacuum Diagram Definitions

Abbreviation Description

A/CL Located in the air cleaner

A/CL DV Air Cleaner Diverter Valve

A/CL BI MET Air Cleaner Bi-Metallic Valve

A/CL CWM Air Cleaner Cold Weather Modulator

ACT Air Charge Temperature Sensor, prior to 1992

ACTS Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor

ACV Air Control Valve

AIR Thermactor, short for Thermal Reactor. CA vehicles are installed with it as standard. Air Injection Reaction is what it stands for.

AIR BPV AIR Bypass (AIRB) Valve; also called the TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) Valve

BV Bowl Vent (on top of the float tanks)

CARB Carburetor

CBD Closed Bowl Distributor

CPRV Canister Purge Valve

DIST Distributor

DPFE Differential Pressure Feedback

DV-TW Two Way Delay Valve

EFCA Electronic Fuel Control Assembly/ (Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)

EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation

EGRC/EGRV EGR Vent/EGR Control

EXH HCV Exhaust Heat Control Valve

EVP EGR Valve Position

EGR Valve Position

EVR EGR Vacuum Regulator; also called EGR Vacuum Solenoid

FLTR Filter

FPR Fuel Pressure Regulator (check vacuum line)

HEAT VLV INT Heat Vacuum Control Valve Intake, (next to carb)

HICV Hot Idle Control Valve

IAT Intake Air Temperature Sensor (Air Charge Temperature (ACT), prior to 1992

IVV Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve

LCV EGR Load Control

MAN VAC Manifold vacuum-Vacuum source; usually ref. to as Vacuum Tree atop intake manifold

MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure

PCV Positive Crankcase Ventilation

PURGE Vapor Canister Purge Valve

PV Ported Vacuum

PVS Ported Vacuum Switch (PVS) Valve

S Spark port

SA-FV Separator Assembly Fuel/Vacuum

SOLV Thermactor Solenoid Valve

SV CBV Carborator Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve

TCAC Thermostatically Controlled Air Cleaner

TCP Temperature Compensated Accelerator Pump

TK Throttle Kicker

TVS Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka Solepot, Dashpot) OR Temperature Vacuum Switch

TVV Thermal Vacuum Valve OR Thermostatic Vacuum Valve (aka Ported Vacuum Switches; Thermal Vacuum Valve)

VAC Vacuum

VCKV Vacuum Check Valve

VCV Vacuum Control Valve

VDV Vacuum Delay Valve

V CK V or VCV Vacuum Check Valve

VOTM Vacuum Operated Throttle Modulator

VRDV Distributor Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)

VRDV Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)

VRESER Vacuum Reservoir (coffee can style in earlier years; replaced by plastic style)

VRESV REST on earlier years such as SEABRONC's 83 is a Vacuum Restictor/delay valve, it delays vacuum for a certain amount of time

VRV Vacuum Regulator Valve

WOT Wide Open Throttle Valve

David - Would you check to see if I have all of those captured here: Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Diagrams. (You have to click twice on Vacuum Diagrams, which probably isn't the best approach.)

My guess would be: S - Signal, E - EGR valve, M - Manifold, D - Distributor. The issue comes in what the valve was originally used on, so the letters may or may not be of any value.

David - Would you check to see if I have all of those captured here: Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Diagrams. (You have to click twice on Vacuum Diagrams, which probably isn't the best approach.)

"David - Would you check to see if I have all of those captured here: Underhood/Vacuum Systems/Vacuum Diagrams."

Whew... that is not easy! The list I copied from The Ranger Station, has 62 items. Your list has 27 items.

On your list, is the following not on the list I copied: C: Choke, VRV: Vacuum Regulator Valve; TVS: Thermal Vacuum Switch [Throttle Valve Solenoid on my copied list] and V: Vent.

No Sir, Not a full on restore, I want it running right of course and will gladly tinker her and there as some thing have already disappeared like the SMOG / AIR PUMP system, which I assume was on it when new. It's seen a lot of mechanics from a lot of locations over the years, lol ! I will have questions to understand just what I can safely tinker with, i.e. use intake manifold vacuum instead VCV if possible. What ports can be plugged on my cart YFA 1bl, etc ... I'm a bit OCD and sometimes want to understand it more than anything so I can make minor changes as they prsent themselves.

For example my CARB is missing the WOT so I know this is an issue with getting the EGR working correctly. It's been suggested to just cap off the EGR tube and also plate the exhaust /gas ports too.