Bullnose Forums

Steering Dampers/Stabilizers

Machspeed

I've replaced the tie rod ends and center drag link twice on my truck since new. In other words, the OEM set and another set thereafter. This in a truck with less than 100K miles on it and factory wheels/tires. The last replacement, last year I think, I purchased high end MOOG components, supposedly the best I could get. And, I've had the best align my front end every time I've messed with it. That said, I'm not confident in the engineering of this steering system and wish to reduce wear on it.

A side note......I have most recently gone with a bigger/wider tire (31's)

Question: Will a steering stabilizer/damper help reduce wear on these steering components?

John - I don't have a steering stabilizer on Big Blue, but have considered it. And my research found this article in Motor Trend: What does a Jeep Steering Stabilizer Do?

You should read it, but I thought that this question and answer speaks to your question:

Q- Does every Jeep need a steering stabilizer?

A - In a perfectly set up chassis with tires that were very well balanced, a steering stabilizer technically isn't necessary. If you run your Jeep without a steering stabilizer and find you don't suffer from any unwanted vibration, wobble, or shaking, then there's no need to add one if you don't want to. Really, a steering stabilizer is often a mask that minimizes other problems. If you don't have those problems to begin with, there's no need to mask them.

Pretty much what I've found is that a steering stabilizer is frequently added to a vehicle that goes off the beaten path, and it is mainly there to keep the bumps in the trail from giving the driver problems. And in my limited experience there have only been a few times when I thought "Man, I wish I'd had a steering stabilizer on here."

But for on-road use, the statement from Motor Trend that speaks loudest to me is "Really, a steering stabilizer is often a mask that minimizes other problems. If you don't have those problems to begin with, there's no need to mask them."

My truck had one on it when I bought it. It was worn out. I took it off and haven’t noticed anything.

The first owner towed and hauled RV’s, I’m assuming that’s why it was there. To stop the “death wobble”.

My thought is if you have a truck that wobbles that bad when you brake, you need a bigger truck or a lighter load.

My truck had one on it when I bought it. It was worn out. I took it off and haven’t noticed anything.

The first owner towed and hauled RV’s, I’m assuming that’s why it was there. To stop the “death wobble”.

My thought is if you have a truck that wobbles that bad when you brake, you need a bigger truck or a lighter load.

Thank you, gentlemen! My biggest desire is to decrease wear and tear on my steering components which, from my own experience, has given me little confidence.

Everything I've read says that a steering damper will extend the life of these components. Now, with the exception of what Gary posted, I know most are trying to sell something. I get it. But the cost is less than $100 for what I'm looking at, so I think I'm just going to go with one.

I'll keep ya posted on install, thoughts, and such.

Thank you, gentlemen! My biggest desire is to decrease wear and tear on my steering components which, from my own experience, has given me little confidence.

Everything I've read says that a steering damper will extend the life of these components. Now, with the exception of what Gary posted, I know most are trying to sell something. I get it. But the cost is less than $100 for what I'm looking at, so I think I'm just going to go with one.

It can't hurt, John, and may help. But I'm anxious to see what you think as I've been thinking about one for BB.

Interesting! Be good to hear your thoughts.

I never heard they were to reduce wear.

Interesting! Be good to hear your thoughts.

I never heard they were to reduce wear.

Dane, I've seen this for some time now but then I was looking for it due to my steering component wear. From the Feb 3 LMC catalog, pg 101...

"These kits will also help to reduce normal wear on vital suspension pieces and make tires last longer."

Sales pitch to sell something? Possibly! Thanks for piping it.

Dane, I've seen this for some time now but then I was looking for it due to my steering component wear. From the Feb 3 LMC catalog, pg 101...

"These kits will also help to reduce normal wear on vital suspension pieces and make tires last longer."

Sales pitch to sell something? Possibly! Thanks for piping it.

Just so happens I received that catalog the other day.

It does make sense with bigger tires. My thought on bump steer is that something is wrong.

Could be a sales pitch, but some of it does make sense.

Now if I had one on my Bronco I might think differently with it’s short wheelbase. I feel my super cab long bed with what, a 155” wheelbase, just takes care of a lot of things.

Just so happens I received that catalog the other day.

It does make sense with bigger tires. My thought on bump steer is that something is wrong.

Could be a sales pitch, but some of it does make sense.

Now if I had one on my Bronco I might think differently with it’s short wheelbase. I feel my super cab long bed with what, a 155” wheelbase, just takes care of a lot of things.

they help. that said it still comes down to help what, if you hit a pothole on the highway, it will not disturb your path as much with as it will without. it does not reduce stresses or weight other than how many rebounding stresses there may be from any given bump. I use one when I use bigger wheels and tires. wider wheels and tires give the road whether grooved or rough greater leverage against the steering and driver. so, I consider it power stabilizing along with power steering. but I do not see added life or less suspension wear as that is more road type and load related. yes, shorter wheelbase trucks react and overreact far more so it's a plus on them too.