Bullnose Forums

1986 F250 4x4 Project Oregon

My rule is that if you cannot drive it to ascertain what is wrong then you should pay salvage prices. In this case maybe $750. Not $2,700. :nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

I know, I’ve been amazed at the prices of vehicles that need major work or a project like they’re calling this.

My rule is that if you cannot drive it to ascertain what is wrong then you should pay salvage prices. In this case maybe $750. Not $2,700. :nabble_money-flying-23_orig:

I paid $750 for mine... and did at least run (mostly, no idle) and drive (mostly, very weak brakes). But truck prices were in the toilet back then... Still, despite the amount of $ and work I've had to put into it, the ROI from a usability perspective alone actually isn't bad.

I agree the price is a bit steep (but not what couldn't be talked down perhaps) ... but the body looks solid and you can't go wrong with a 460 and a ZF5, right? :nabble_smiley_evil:.

I paid $750 for mine... and did at least run (mostly, no idle) and drive (mostly, very weak brakes). But truck prices were in the toilet back then... Still, despite the amount of $ and work I've had to put into it, the ROI from a usability perspective alone actually isn't bad.

I agree the price is a bit steep (but not what couldn't be talked down perhaps) ... but the body looks solid and you can't go wrong with a 460 and a ZF5, right? :nabble_smiley_evil:.

That is crazy. No way that price makes sense.

Ratdude, your truck has a good return because of the work you do! I bought my Bronco after the time of the cash for clunkers. Like you said prices were low. Paid $2000 for it with a cold start problem that a $75 coil fixed. That’s probably the best buy I made on a vehicle.

Gsm, you should go look eh?! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yep, I let the F150 go for less than $1k because it was pieced together and was not even remotely in drivable condition.

Ratdude, your truck has a good return because of the work you do! I bought my Bronco after the time of the cash for clunkers. Like you said prices were low. Paid $2000 for it with a cold start problem that a $75 coil fixed. That’s probably the best buy I made on a vehicle.

Gsm, you should go look eh?! :nabble_smiley_evil:

To make it safely driveable and reliable (enough), all it needed was a new master cylinder and brake booster, a carb rebuild (and fixing a buttload of vacuum leaks), an ignition refresh (plugs, wires, cap&rotor, and TFI module), a new fuel pump, and new rear tires. All "easy" items. But to make it usable and reliable, it ultimately took an engine rebuild, a fresh ECU (and a heated O2 upgrade), and a new catback too. Eventually it did need the brakes redone, some suspension work, and new front tires, but those were "after the purchase" issues. And then there's all the stereo/CB/interior/trailer work... and then the deer incident repairs... but that's a bit besides the point. I haven't done hard numbers but there's probably a good 5k-6k invested in it (includes purchase price, doesn't include consumables or registration)... not what it's worth, but not bad all things considered.

Is she perfect? No. But driveable? Yes. Daily Driveable? I'm doing it! (But only because I have my 1995 Ranger out of commission at the moment, not lining how much salt it's having to contend with :nabble_smiley_scared:). Knock on wood, but I'd trust it to get me anywhere in the lower 48... which is what I strive for all my vehicles to be.