Bullnose Forums

Heater Blend Door - Alternate Design

I found the "right stuff" when I purchased the a/c box sealing kit from DMT, shown below. The center sections of the foam gaskets were left intact when the kit was shipped to me, I assume to protect the gaskets and keep them from folding. I removed the center sections from each gasket and was able to use those to seal my doors. In my opinion, they were all about the right thickness, and they seem to seal well to the box.

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/ford-80-86-pickup-truck-f150-f250-bronco-ac-heater-box-rebuild-seal-kit/

Thanks Shaun,

I actually have the same kit, I didn’t think of this! Worth a shot, you are correct that the foam in that kit would be ideal.

That being said, I got some different foam in the mail and it looks to be on the money, but I need to see how it fits in the truck.

While it’s clear I’m not going to sell a boatload of these by any means, I need to find a source to buy supplies for more.

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shaun,

I actually have the same kit, I didn’t think of this! Worth a shot, you are correct that the foam in that kit would be ideal.

That being said, I got some different foam in the mail and it looks to be on the money, but I need to see how it fits in the truck.

While it’s clear I’m not going to sell a boatload of these by any means, I need to find a source to buy supplies for more.

Thanks!

I found some material that looks to work well! I test fit it and it does the trick. I still need to do my "leak" test but I'm pretty confident that will work. This is open cell 1/4" foam that's actually for an A/C filter...

2_1.jpg.7bd76af6ba04abf28dcd9d9e8de94e22.jpg

2_2.thumb.jpg.60d9010fbec40a6daddc5dafcc6220fa.jpg

2_3.thumb.jpg.6766bea5c9fb9762d9aaf046e6b6848c.jpg

I found some material that looks to work well! I test fit it and it does the trick. I still need to do my "leak" test but I'm pretty confident that will work. This is open cell 1/4" foam that's actually for an A/C filter...

So "open cell" doesn't mean it'll allow air to move from cell to cell, creating a leak? I assumed you'd need closed cell foam, but I don't know.

So "open cell" doesn't mean it'll allow air to move from cell to cell, creating a leak? I assumed you'd need closed cell foam, but I don't know.

Good question Gary - I hadn't really thought about it because the open cell looked like what was on my original door. In a bit of a panic (haha) I Googled it, and it seems both types are acceptable for creating an air seal:

http://retrofoamofmichigan.com/blog/open-vs-closed-cell-foam-insulation

More will be revealed after I test it out installed. Shaun’s suggestion is a good one, I have that foam and can try that next. I just have to figure out how to source it if needed.

Of course I could just use one inch wide weatherstripping around the perimeter and “call it good” but I’m trying for something a little more professional. We will see if that is attainable. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Good question Gary - I hadn't really thought about it because the open cell looked like what was on my original door. In a bit of a panic (haha) I Googled it, and it seems both types are acceptable for creating an air seal:

http://retrofoamofmichigan.com/blog/open-vs-closed-cell-foam-insulation

More will be revealed after I test it out installed. Shaun’s suggestion is a good one, I have that foam and can try that next. I just have to figure out how to source it if needed.

Of course I could just use one inch wide weatherstripping around the perimeter and “call it good” but I’m trying for something a little more professional. We will see if that is attainable. :nabble_smiley_cool:

That link didn't work for me, but I did some searching and found this: https://www.retrofoamofmichigan.com/blog/open-vs-closed-cell-foam-insulation. However, that site is confusing.

Anyway, I think it'll work.

• 2 weeks later...

By "checks out", I assume you mean the air didn't go through. Good!

I installed it, and it turns out there is too big a gap between the face of the door and the plenum allowing too much wind to sneak by. So, another revision will be coming out. Trying to get it just right...

• 9 months later...