Bullnose Forums

When cold is... COLD

That's cold, even by Minnesota standards! It's 0 here now (8:30 PM), heading for -17 tonight, and a sub-zero high tomorrow (I went for a run today, because it was a relatively balmy 10 above!). But it'll be in the 20s in a couple of days.

Although that, as well as the Green Bay / San Francisco game on Saturday, remind me that "The Frozen Tundra" of Lambeau Field is actually south of where I live. And most of Minnesota is north of me!

Yesterday morning when I woke up it was 15 below. This morning when I woke up it was 30 above. And no, I didn't go on vacation, that was just the swing in overnight low temp in just one day!

Wow, that's crazy.

It was 26*F in sunny central Florida this morning. My buddy in southwest Florida couldn't get his 7.3 started quickly the last few mornings because he didn't think it was cold enough to need a block heater. He finally plugged it in last night, and the truck started right up this morning.

I have two block heaters in my 351w. One is fine if I'm going to leave it plugged in overnight, but two is better if you want to plug it in on "short notice". Still takes about an hour using two heaters to get an easy start at -20C (-5F).

It's rare to have a battery problem on the warm side of -30C (-22F) if the engine's been plugged in long enough so as to avoid a lot of cranking. I've never bothered with a battery blanket.

All bets are off when it gets colder than -35C (-31F). The engine may start after taking precautions, but you have to take it very slow - the tires get hard flat spots where they were sitting, power steering sounds like it may explode, differentials have tar for lubricant, door handles may suddenly break off etc etc