Bullnose Forums

Choke adjustments and Cheap Chinese carburetor WARNING

rcarlisle

Yep. I just looked it up and saw same. I like the Autolite theory of operation and the chinese carb is a very close replica with enough changes to get by patent/trademark/copyright.

The Chinese generally don't care about patents or copyrights, they change just enough that you have to go back to them for parts. Then they are usually not available.

Summit apparently bought the design rights for the Autolite 4100, but do not as far as I know, make a 2 barrel version. The really humorous thing about the Ford carburetors, in the 70s Holley came out with and enlarged version of the 500 cfm 2 barrel, it used annular discharge venturiis, lots of small holes around the venturii. The Ford design will actually feed a balanced lean mixture better than any other carburetor.

The Chinese generally don't care about patents or copyrights, they change just enough that you have to go back to them for parts. Then they are usually not available.

Summit apparently bought the design rights for the Autolite 4100, but do not as far as I know, make a 2 barrel version. The really humorous thing about the Ford carburetors, in the 70s Holley came out with and enlarged version of the 500 cfm 2 barrel, it used annular discharge venturiis, lots of small holes around the venturii. The Ford design will actually feed a balanced lean mixture better than any other carburetor.

I hate to admit it, I just can't afford a new or reman Autolite right now so trying to get this Chinese carb working. At some point when it warms enough, I will take a look at the old Autolite - it seemed to be leaking around the throttle shaft, whcih isn't easily repaired I was told. I believe that from the little I know about carb construction.

At least with it on hand, I have been able to study it to see things I can't easily see with the Chinese carb or even an autolite when installed. You can't see the high idle lever installed. All by sense of feel.

Autolites are pretty common and easy to learn and understand. Since I'm going to stay 2 bbl, may as well stay with the Autolite or the Chinese clone - that's my thought on it.

I hate to admit it, I just can't afford a new or reman Autolite right now so trying to get this Chinese carb working. At some point when it warms enough, I will take a look at the old Autolite - it seemed to be leaking around the throttle shaft, whcih isn't easily repaired I was told. I believe that from the little I know about carb construction.

At least with it on hand, I have been able to study it to see things I can't easily see with the Chinese carb or even an autolite when installed. You can't see the high idle lever installed. All by sense of feel.

Autolites are pretty common and easy to learn and understand. Since I'm going to stay 2 bbl, may as well stay with the Autolite or the Chinese clone - that's my thought on it.

Randy, FWIW, I used to own a carburetor and ignition shop. I told a friend one time I could probably do an Autolite 2100 with my eyes closed. It was by for the most common rebuild we did, not because of problems, just a load of them around.

Throttle shaft "leaking" air can be a problem, but most rebuilders use bushings to bring the clearances back in tolerance. Fuel coming out is caused by flooding.

Suggestion, find a junkyard one with a "tight" shaft and use that shaft in your carburetor. Or you can send the old one to me and I will see what I can do about either (a) finding a good shaft or (b) bushing the main body of yours.

Randy, FWIW, I used to own a carburetor and ignition shop. I told a friend one time I could probably do an Autolite 2100 with my eyes closed. It was by for the most common rebuild we did, not because of problems, just a load of them around.

Throttle shaft "leaking" air can be a problem, but most rebuilders use bushings to bring the clearances back in tolerance. Fuel coming out is caused by flooding.

Suggestion, find a junkyard one with a "tight" shaft and use that shaft in your carburetor. Or you can send the old one to me and I will see what I can do about either (a) finding a good shaft or (b) bushing the main body of yours.

Oh wow, thanks for the offer. Once it warms up where I can work comfortably in my outbuilding, I want to fill it with gas or something and see if it is leaking for real at throttle or if it is coming from somewhere else. Then decide. It had a drip at bottom of throttle lever when I was messing with it before I got the Chinese carb. COulda been a leak from elsewhere or flooding.

It is a UREMCO reman from Jan 2015. IF it's leaking from flooding or something I can repair, I may rebuild it just to learn exactly how it works. ( I can clean/rebuild a Honda 250cc motorcycle carb in 1.5 - 2 hours from pulling bike onto lift to reinstallation) Same kinda thing as the 2100. I learned all the tricks. I need to learn about the 2150 if I'm going to own it. Not a lotta old carb guys around anymore here - they smoked and drank themselves to death.

Again, once it gets warm enough to scour the few remaining junkyards... man I miss being able to go walk a junkyard. Used to be a lot. Not anymore.

[quote name="rcarlisle”>Not a lotta old carb guys around anymore here - they smoked and drank themselves to death.

Careful, that’s a perfect description of Bill - old and a carb guy. And he’s still here. :nabble_]

But he's still with us, thank goodness! We need these people's knowledge:

[quote name="rcarlisle”>Not a lotta old carb guys around anymore here - they smoked and drank themselves to death.

Careful, that’s a perfect description of Bill - old and a carb guy. And he’s still here. :nabble_]

But he's still with us, thank goodness! We need these people's knowledge:

[quote name=rcarlisle”>Not a lotta old carb guys around anymore here - they smoked and drank themselves to death.

</quote>

Careful, that’s a perfect description of Bill - old and a carb guy. And he’s still here. <smiley image=]

Yes, and I don't smoke, drink yes, not as much as I used to, but having joined an organization that was founded in a tavern I have been known to down a few.

As for carburetors, I was trying to list alphabetically all the different ones I have worked on, starting with Aisin and ending with Zenith. Here is the strangest Autolite carburetor I ever worked on:

Autolite_in-line_and_Cross_Boss_intake.jpg.a2ffd1b6e16b64c189719c7843a03d75.jpg

Yes, and I don't smoke, drink yes, not as much as I used to, but having joined an organization that was founded in a tavern I have been known to down a few.As for carburetors, I was trying to list alphabetically all the different ones I have worked on, starting with Aisin and ending with Zenith. Here is the strangest Autolite carburetor I ever worked on:
Cool, Bill! Here's something I found on it:

Yes, and I don't smoke, drink yes, not as much as I used to, but having joined an organization that was founded in a tavern I have been known to down a few.

As for carburetors, I was trying to list alphabetically all the different ones I have worked on, starting with Aisin and ending with Zenith. Here is the strangest Autolite carburetor I ever worked on:

I was just reading about the cross boss on Hemmings yesterday. Sweet!