Bullnose Forums

Door panel replacement

Waine5550

I'm sure there are other threads; however, was looking for the latest info.

Dennis Carpenter vs coverLay which are the best door panels? Durable, easy to paint, cost, and fit would be the standards I'm looking for in the ratings. Had some from broncograve yard. What a bunch of S#!T.

Also what are the best clips. I had to modify some to work on the BG panels.

I bought the Coverlay panels from LMC. Installation was a little frustrating but not too terrible.

Durability: meh. They scratch very easily and I did this several times while installing them. They're color-painted over a black plastic base panel, so scratches show very clearly. That said...

Easy to paint: Super easy. LMC sells an "adhesion promoter" and "color" pair, and I do recommend using both. I used this successfully to repair scratches as well as to paint accessories like the slide lock trim rings and armrests. Time will tell how this performs but it looks great.

Cost: I mean... All together with everything you need to repair a door (panels, armrests, clips, window crank handle plastic spacer, etc.) you're going to spend. But they're also going to look brand new. I can't personally say whether it's worth it for everyone but it sure was for me.

Fit: They fit fine... One minor detail, the armrests didn't come with screws and I couldn't figure out exactly what they were supposed to be. I replaced them with #8 self-tapping washer-head screws and those worked fine. The panel clips were very stiff and hard to install. I still have one clip on one side that doesn't seem to want to "go in".

Here's a finished door on the right side. I will probably color-match the lower panel screws just for fun, and paint the trim ring for the slide lock. I did do that on the driver's side and prefer the matched look rather than a lighter contrast color. I'm also kind of dreading having to take all this back off to paint the door. We'll see if I bother.

after.jpeg.581b4cdb49e2ea9fba13c71686988653.jpeg

I chose Dennis Carpenter. They were reasonably priced and I read they fit the chrome trim best. All holes are marked on the back as molded. The chrome fit close, not perfectly. I had to slot a couple holes to get the posts on the chrome to fit. I used the cheap black LMC armrests. They worked fine with the DC panels - all was black and I painted with duplicolor blue vinyl paint and some 1k matte clear to provide extra UV protection. I should have used some adhesion promoter - may have to repaint this year and I (and the passengers) have scratched the finish a little. Not terrible so far.

The passenger side shows all my "mismatched" colors - the dash is OEM blue. My seat is reupholstered and isn't a match for the correct blue.

IMG_20210927_181009533.jpg.75ead8c789a6fe9e43cbf7d37bc27ece.jpg

IMG_20210927_181021755.jpg.c09b1fe650ee958f9467c145a346f245.jpg

I chose Dennis Carpenter. They were reasonably priced and I read they fit the chrome trim best. All holes are marked on the back as molded. The chrome fit close, not perfectly. I had to slot a couple holes to get the posts on the chrome to fit. I used the cheap black LMC armrests. They worked fine with the DC panels - all was black and I painted with duplicolor blue vinyl paint and some 1k matte clear to provide extra UV protection. I should have used some adhesion promoter - may have to repaint this year and I (and the passengers) have scratched the finish a little. Not terrible so far.

The passenger side shows all my "mismatched" colors - the dash is OEM blue. My seat is reupholstered and isn't a match for the correct blue.

Interesting, Randy. I assume you were reusing chrome trim you already had? Mine didn't come with any but I can see where the radii of the corners on the Dennis Carpenter option would have fit better. They're visibly different...

Interesting, Randy. I assume you were reusing chrome trim you already had? Mine didn't come with any but I can see where the radii of the corners on the Dennis Carpenter option would have fit better. They're visibly different...

Yes that was original to the truck when I bought it. Ranger/Explorer packages.

I also used Dennis Carpenter... but I didn't know the trim holes were marked. I just took the trim and figured out the holes that way. Oh well.

Other than a lot of mold flash to cut off/remove and them not including enough door panel clips, nothing bad to say about them. They are off OE tooling after all.

The LMC armrests I bought at the same time... not as good. Lousy screws that can't self-tap the backer plate (used generic sheet metal screws instead) and my SEM bumper coater I used on the panels didn't adhere as well to the arm rests (may require special prep?).

164285155_10225313591536167_1028018891090313191_n.jpg.2a10ee7897539336f1e7c298591c50d1.jpg

164364905_10225313590296136_5627370263079840828_n.jpg.912bde3c6fe4b684d9b973fd5f349b65.jpg

I also used Dennis Carpenter... but I didn't know the trim holes were marked. I just took the trim and figured out the holes that way. Oh well.

Other than a lot of mold flash to cut off/remove and them not including enough door panel clips, nothing bad to say about them. They are off OE tooling after all.

The LMC armrests I bought at the same time... not as good. Lousy screws that can't self-tap the backer plate (used generic sheet metal screws instead) and my SEM bumper coater I used on the panels didn't adhere as well to the arm rests (may require special prep?).

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n112266/164285155_10225313591536167_1028018891090313191_n.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n112266/164364905_10225313590296136_5627370263079840828_n.jpg

You bring up a good point that I considered including. There is a LOT of flash on the DC panels. I figured it was just me, but I agree with that.

I didn't have any problem with the armrest and screws. I try to keep a selection of those black screws with the washer heads for whatever I'm doing - seems like Ford used a LOT of those.

I found some DC panels on npd. DC was out , but I did get the armrests and extra clips from them. I have the over lays, inserts or whatever they are called. They are in rough shape. Was think of have some plexiglass cutout then take them to an upholstery shop and have them covered. What are y'alls thoughts?

I found some DC panels on npd. DC was out , but I did get the armrests and extra clips from them. I have the over lays, inserts or whatever they are called. They are in rough shape. Was think of have some plexiglass cutout then take them to an upholstery shop and have them covered. What are y'alls thoughts?

Shoot, do it yourself. Cut the plex, glue and wrap with some material you buy locally or online. I did my headliner and it turned out beautifully. And you have that satisfaction of doing it yourself. And money left for lunch? :nabble_anim_jump: